Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Glad to hear you did well on your camping trip Pipsicle. Your daughter sure keeps you busy.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #32  

FBG this AM was 88. However wt was up 3#. You don't gain 3# of fat overnight so it is fluid. I had a very small dinner. Half a sandwich and about 10 of DH's homefries. I resisted the ice cream but now I feel like I should have eaten it. Whatever. I still feel glad that I did not overeat as that is a bad habit I am trying to break. The fluid will come off if I stay diligent. I did notice my fluid was up at bedtime. My feet were puffy and I had dimples in them. That happens when they swell. The sparkling water might be causing that so I will probably have to go back to regular water.

This has been a very informative day for me. I am one who wants to know "why" and "how." Don't tell me it is healthy to eat avocado without telling me why. It isn't even enough to tell me "because it's full of healthy mono fat." It won't be enough to make me do it.

I have been reading a really weird free Kindle book Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss. It's is the basic story, but the writing and some of the wording is weird, the way it is sometimes in a cheaply written book. There are words inserted in the middle of sentences that don't even appear to belong in the sentence, as if they used autocorrect with out checking to be sure it was correcting properly. So they mentioned "adoponectin." I had never heard that word and it sounded significant, so I googled it. Apparently it is a protein in the body that helps burn fat, which is very low in people with a lot of fat. You CAN buy supplements of this, of course, to make someone else rich, but the ways to increase it naturally is to eat mono fat, found in avocado and macadamia nuts among other foods. I was never told WHY to eat the avocado, or the macadamia nuts, or why the mono fats were or such importance, just that they were important. Another way to increase it is exercise. So it's true, that you are not going to have weight falling off from exercise alone, but over time, it apparently makes changes in the body that contribute to fat loss. From now on, when I read a book or article online, I am going to have another device handy so I can look up the words I don't know instead of skipping over them. Apparently they can make a big difference.

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to eat this avocado. I really don't like to eat a whole one. It's too much. And I don't like to eat half and wrap up the rest because it turns brown, which turns me off. I tried buying the bag of little ones from Aldi's but they all got ripe at the same time and I again faced the dilemma of having to eat them all at once to keep from wasting them. I also tried buying the little individual cups of guacomole, 4 in a package. They are nice, but I need to find what to eat them with. Crackers go nicely with it, but I don't want to eat crackers. There are suggestions to substitute it for mayo on a sandwich, but that includes bread. So I'm going to try using it as a dip, with say, celery. One time I ate it as a dip with canned hearts of palm, but then I ended up eating the whole can of hearts of palm. I'm not sure I want to do that every day. Maybe put them in a container and have a couple each day, along with celery.

I don't know if I like macadamia nuts. I buy almonds, and I like them. I will have to look for the macadamias. Some people are not able to limit their nut consumption, but I can eat just a few each day. A bag of almonds lasts me a pretty long time.

The only problem with this is, it becomes a snack, and I have not been snacking. I eat my meals and that's it. It took a very long time for me to stop grazing and snacking, so the avocado is going to have to be incorporated into a meal, or the guacomole and veggies will BE the meal.

I am amazed that I really stopped grazing and snacking!! Without even realizing I was doing it!!

Trish, a woman on another forum made her own plan and calls it No Woe. I like that!! It made me think of you.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-03-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #33  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Our daughter really does keep us busy. When she was nine she put our two person patio love seat on top of our garden shed by herself. It was up there for over a week. It took my husband several tries to get it down and he had to finally use a rope. Didn't get a chance to check my numbers this morning. It's a busy week so I may have to wait until next Sunday.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FBG was 127 this morning and weight back down to 214.6. It bounces up and down. I ate only 1 egg, 1 sausage patty and 1 sl of cheese toast and had 2 c of coffee with HWC & stevia no fat added. BS reading 3 hrs later before we left to go see Daddy it was 114. We left Daddy and had to go by Aldi's to get facial tissues and I picked up a loaf of MG 45 calorie bread and English cucumber and DH wanted cashews. We left there and went to Walmart and had to go get Father's Day cards at Dollar Tree. We stopped by McD's and got cheeseburgers and a medium order of fries. By the time we got home and I checked BS before dinner and it was 96.

Carol Sue I will check out the info on adiponectin as I've never heard of it either.

DH got Daddy's computer working and by the time we got home DS called and Daddy already had messed it up and BIL was trying to get it turned back on. Bless his heart, I think Daddy just can't remember what he is doing. In spite of that we had a really good visit with him and DH cleaned out Daddy's little refrigerator because Daddy had laid a bottle of Big Red in there and it wasn't closed very good so it had leaked all in there. I really appreciate how good DH is to my Daddy.

Carol Sue I like the lady's Non Woe for her plan because I'm not sure I have a real name for my way of eating because I've mostly taken the best ideas from different diets and made my own plan. I am mostly just cutting back on amounts of food I'm eating.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #35  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI gang: didn't get to check weight this am, didn't sleep well and had to just jump up with the alarm and get moving.
Fasted today after a weekend of eating with the family.

Pipsicle: the advantage of camping is that you can't really eat anything you did not pack. (avoid going to a store if possible, of course, wilderness camping is better that way).
That is how we manage at the cottage, I only have a few things at t time, each meal planned for me. DH will eat soups and peanut butter sandwiches if I'm not eating. (Can't have those things myself, so I am safe from temptation) I hope you find something that works for you. I suspect you have pretty severe insulin resistance. I know IF and LCHF can help that, but so can any thing that promotes weight loss. Not sure what will work for you, but don't stop looking!

Carol: hope the swelling goes off soon. So frustrating. What do you think is doing it? Did you take all your meds as usual?
Trish: my Dad never did master his new computer we got him when the old one died. My younger DD is using it now.

Have a good evening
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #36  

FBS was 101. Did not weigh. I gave in to the ice cream last night, and ended up hating myself. It tasted so good while I was eating it but I felt terrible later on. Had to take full dose of G and still spiked. Lots of pain. Felt better halfway through the night but left ankle still hurts. WHY??? I would not purposely ingest poison. Its not as if it's the first time. I know better. I feel like a drug addict who has just relapsed. Day 1 all over again. Sigh....I didn't have to confess to that but maybe it will help.me not do it again. I have to address what was different yesterday that made me give in. I was strong against it for 4 days. Keeping it out of the house is not the answer. I have to be able to say no.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #37  

Carol Sue I once heard or read that when a ship fires a missile at a target that that missile is going to hit its target, but it surprised me to learn that it doesn't go "straight" to the target, but it kind of zig zags before it hits the target. Perhaps we need to think of these sips as a zig zag and today you are right back on track and hit your target. We learn from this. I remember my doctor in SC telling DH, "She can still have ice cream, but she will eat it as a meal now". You are doing so well and have made such good progress. It is one thing to re-evaluate what you were feeling. Maybe you just needed a treat. How could you have worked it into your plan. I think you are looking to doing this without the G and I understand that because you don't want it to become a crutch to eat what you want that is off plan. I understand because I know that is what I would use it for so that is why I don't want to resort to using G.

FBG was 112 this morning and my weight was 213.4. I think the exercise was what was missing in my plan. I am also using MFP again. Without even trying I am staying under 1600 calories. My sodium is always high on MFP but I have learned to ignore it and I am drinking more water. I am also trying to keep net carbs below 70 to 80 grams. Since I want to keep track of what I ate on certain days, I make a print out from MFP of the foods that I ate each day and that way I can go back and match up the dates and see what worked and what didn't. I am actually just eating pretty much what I want, but just cutting the servings down. Example, my breakfast is half as much as what I used to eat. I am not using the BPC or the MCToil either. Calories that I don't need.

We had a McDs cheeseburger for supper and I had a little less than half of the medium fries. DH is wanting chipped beef and bought the Stoffers frozen yesterday so I am cooking that today, but I am not going to eat mine on biscuits like he does. I will use one slice of the 45 calorie MG bread I got from Aldi's. I think I'm going to switch to that one. I'm not sure what they have done to the Sara Lee but it is mushy soft not thick like before. It feels like they are doing something different with it. I have a loaf and a half of the Sara Lee bread and will use it for toast or cheese toast, but it doesn't hold up very well with burgers.

I had cheese toast, 1 egg and 1 slice of toast and had intended to eat my yogurt with breakfast and forgot so I guess I will have it with dinner or my little snack I eat around 8 pm.

I think I have found what works for me and I'm so thankful. This is really a routine that I can live with.

Fatmad Daddy has never liked this laptop. He would like to have a desk top again but not sure he could do it either since DS was always having to work on it when he lived in his apartment. I don't really think he has Alzheimers but I do think he might have a touch of dimensia however, I notice that he knows he doesn't remember and that upsets him a lot. I guess I need to read more about the stages of this problem because from the descriptions doesn't really fit him that much. I kept that website you PM me and need to check it out more than I have so far.

Pipsicle I always did better with eating when traveling although I ate mostly regular food, but we would stop for a Egg McMuffin and I got mine and didn't eat the bread. Then DH and I would always stop at Cracker Barrel and eat fish and veggies. There wasn't many snacks I could have except nuts or beef jerky so not being at home where I could grab something always worked great for me. I've learned there are some things I just can't bring into the house although there are things DH can get by with eating because he isn't trying to lose weight so I have had to learn to just think of those things as "his" not mine and most of the time it works. I think we all learn our own little tricks and you will find yours. I call it playing games with myself that don't always work, but I think (hope) they are starting to become habits now.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #38  

Trish all the after effects of the ice cream are gone, except for the fact that it has added to the nerve damsge. This is what I'm talking about. Everything I've read says the nerve damage cannot be reversed. This is not the same as "I'm up 2 lbs but I will get it
back off." I believe I am now in serious doodoo. Too bad if I needed a treat. I can't ever do that again. I have never felt like I did last night. It's not the cutting back on G. I do take it when I eat something that requires it and I did take it last night. I can only imagine what it would have been like if I hadn't. I'm really scared but am I scared enough to stop being so stupid?

Enough about me. You are doing great with both blood sugar and weight. I have never used BPC or MTC oil because I want to just eat normal with healthy food. No tricks. I want to feel that I fit in with the rest of the world and that I can be or go anywhere and find something that I can eat. I guess as long as I'm not in an ice cream shop that will work. LOL

I hope your Dad does ok with his computer. and phone.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-04-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #39  

Carol Sue I understand how you feel. We all have to do what helps us individually and you have learned how the sugar affects you pain. Just as I've learned that I can eat fat, but not loads of it like Keto. We are learning what fits the quality of life we are seeking.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #40  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue: I think you will be able to have occasional treats again, but you need to get the sugars back in control first.
I do believe keeping it out of the house is important, at least in the beginning. When you feel like you can control servings its ok to have it back. DH and my DDs don't bring chips home anymore. Well actually, DD brought home some chips, but they were dill pickle flavoured, and although I love chips and love pickles, I can't stand chips with flavouring. So no temptation.
I still don't do well with temptation, but now that you say it, there is ice cream in my freezer that I have not been eating. Had a small dish on Friday, but nothing since. So maybe I am doing better. I am able to "forget" that there is stuff there, it isn't calling to me all the time.
Your pain does get better with the sugars in control. try not to be too hard on yourself, none of us is perfect.

Trish, I think yes, you will have to accept that things have changed for your father, and won't likely get better. We don't have to diagnose exactly what it is to just learn to accept the challenge and help and care for him as best you and your family are able to. It easy to understand his frustration when he is aware he is confused or forgetting something.

I work tomorrow morning, then to Toronto for a few days for meetings and then to the cottage. I will have internet, so will likely check in from time to time.
I am into my 2nd day of fasting now, will be 48 hours soon. I hope to fast until tomorrow, supper, if possible. Because these meetings have so much food. I will try to be sensible but it can be hard when its in front of me. I will eat Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday we meet until about 1 pm, then I will drive to the cottage. Plan to fast on Friday I hope.
Hope the food they provide will not be too high carb. that is just deadly to me.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #41  

Noting noteworthy to report today. FBG was 101. Wt stayed the same at 185. So I'm just reporting in that I'm still here. I am still amazed that I can repeatedly have FBG in these numbers. For years they were up there and from what I was reading it would be a huge struggle to get them down due to the DP. I am not even sure what changed or how this change is effecting my overall health, or if it is at all. I have not really changed what I'm eating. I have changed when, and how much. And it's not the meds doing it, because overall I'm taking less than I took before. Maybe changing when I take them in relationship to my meals. Hopefully it will effect my A1c next month in spite of the mistakes I make that cause the occasionally high spike. I am not excusing the mistakes or brushing them off, but truly trying to learn from them. They are really poor choices rather than mistakes. I was completely aware of what I was doing and what the outcome would be. I don't know why it has taken me 11 years to figure this out, but better late than never.

I don't feel that keeping certain foods out of the house is where I want to go. DH has every right to have the foods he likes in his own home. I want to reach the point of having them here and not eating them. Keeping them out of sight isn't the answer. They have to be here in plain sight for me to be able to learn to avoid them. Then if I go somewhere else, to a relative's home, to a buffet, and these foods are present, they will not be a temptation for me because they will be something I do not eat. I will not have to avoid certain situations because of the food that may be presented. I don't want things like ice cream in my body at all. I will make mistakes, but I want to learn from them. This is my choice. Other choices might work for someone else.

I hope everyone is OK. Nothing last night or this morning.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #42  

FBG was 124 this morning and weight 214 up a little from yesterday but not bad considering that I ended up eating equivalent of 1.5 biscuits and still ate the SLMG 45 calorie bread. The rest of the day was OP and I drank a lot of water.

I do track everything. There was a time I wouldn't, but since I want a record of what I ate the day before FBG readings I am staying 100% with tracking on MFP. My sodium goes way over the 2300 mg recommended but I don't worry about that any more since I've learned what I have about salt. It is interesting to see that it doesn't cause me any problems. I am still taking the Lisinopril and my bp usually runs low and was really low this morning. It has really helped me to check bs after meals. I decided that I didn't want to cook this morning so I had a bottle of ready to drink Slimfast. I've wondered how it affects bs. I checked it 2 hrs after drinking and bs was down to 110. So it was lower than my FBG of 124. It gives me energy without bs spike. Good to know.

Carol Sue I can understand not wanting to keep food out of the house that DH likes. I wouldn't want to do that with my DH either. I can get by with some foods he can't and vice versa. I also don't want to cut all food groups out of my plan because I want to be able to eat any where I go or am with other people who eat different than me. I want to be so good at my own plan so that when I have to adjust someone else's for a meal that it is no big deal.

I am learning that I can eat the foods that I want as long as I watch the serving size and cut it in half before I decide that I can't eat it at all. That was one of the suggestions in The Personalized Diet. It said that sometimes you don't have to give up a certain food; you just have to eat half a serving. I can do that with some foods, but I have to admit there are some foods I know I cannot do that with. I really am doing my own form of Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, but it is nothing like the one the Heller's wrote. I eat low carb meals and or snacks, but once a day I allow myself to have a more carby food if and when I want it although I don't have to have a carby meal every day. I just want to comfortably lose weight and lower my A1c at the same time.

My nephew who takes Daddy out got Daddy last night and took him out for a steak. So Daddy finally got a good steak he has been wanting. Sad thing is that until Daddy told me that he took him out for a steak so I would know who came to see him, he couldn't remember if it Senior or Junior who came to see him. Once he told me that he had taken him for a steak that I knew it was Senior because he is the only one who is able to help him get in his car. I do appreciate him taking Daddy places when he has time to.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #43  

Trish I just bought the 45 cal bread from Aldi's to try. I was undecided because it is wheat but now I'm glad I got it because when I got to Wal-Mart they were out of the other one I buy so now at least I have something. It will give me a chance to try the wheat

I will be back to tell you about my blood sugar today. Amazing.

Ok. I'm home now. This Am FBG was 108. At 9 I ate scrambled eggs mushrooms and 1 slice of toast. At noon blood sugar was 98. DH made egg salad for lunch and I had a half sandwich with 1 slice of regular bread with a few almonds. At 3 blood sugar was 87. WTH? We went to Bob Evans and I ate a full meal. Chicken mashed potatoes and carrots. No bread and brought half of the chicken breast home. 1 hr later BS is 125. I took some G because I think it will go higher.

My feet felt pretty good all day but after walking in Walmart, Aldis and Goodwill they are screaming. I sure hope I get an answer on Friday.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #44  

I put off taking pain med until bedtime. Pain was bad. I didn't want it to wear off overnight. It keeps pain at bay for 10 hours. Blood sugar went to 175 after dinner but I had taken Met and 1/2 G. It actually went to 69 overnight so I ate a caramel. It was 85 this AM but pain is still high. So BS is not the answer. Dr is tomorrow. I don't mean to be always complaining but just being informative as I try to figure this out. If nothing else, this has helped me improve blood sugar for which I am extremely grateful. Words can not express how I feel about that. God brings blessings in very unusual ways.

I have been doing a lot of reading about plant based. Very convincing. Also reading about Carnivore. Also very convincing. So now I am just confused about which would be most beneficial for ME. I can see both points of view. I wish I knew an unbiased expert. The people I'm reading are believed to be experts. I hope this conversation doesn't waken any sleeping dogs. LOL I am not looking for someone to pop in and give advice. Just discussing what I'm thinking. Maybe this is why we are advised to eat a balanced diet, so we get the best of both worlds. I used to eat tons of veggies everyday. What if the loss of those nutrients is causing this havoc?.. What if, what if, what if.
​​​​​
Old 06-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #45  

Carol Sue I understand where you are coming from about the info out there. DH found another YouTube doctor who talked about the Diabetic Scam out there. He mentioned something that DH is wondering about something the doctor says milk causes in some people as he talked more about T-1.5 and T-2 diabetics. He gives a lot of info on the problems with some of the meds we are given even Metformin. He pretty much had us until he started talking about eating starches which sounds more like the old school way of eating and I know from my own experience that a lot of starchy carbs causes me loads of problems. DH and I decided to keep doing what we are doing and cut back on the starchy carbs. One of the things I seemed to understand from him is that some the higher numbers didn't seem to bother him. He said T2 diabetics should never be put on oral meds. All they need to do is lose weight. The T1.5 may need a small amount of insulin because their body isn't able to resist insulin like the T2 does.

FBG was 126 this morning and wt back down to 213. Keeping my calories and carbs low plus exercising seems to be working although I need it to go lower. So basically things are going well.

Carol Sue I'm so sorry about the foot pain. I hope you get some answers tomorrow.

Nothing new to report so I will close for now.
Closed Thread