Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FBG was still 120 so that was good, but weight was up. I changed the batteries in the scales. Still not sure because they showed 220 and I can't believe I weigh that much since I've been faithfully doing IF of at least 16 to 19 hr fasts. I thought about changing but I need to keep doing what I'm doing because the FBS is low and I want a good A1c.

fatmad I'm sure you enjoyed being with your friend. Will y'all be able to stay in touch and visit some after she moves?

Carol Sue Sorry you had the pain in your hands and wrists. I've begun to wonder if maybe I should try a plant diet or at least more of a plant food. I was going to have my doctor test the uric acid levels when I have my next blood test, but wondering if it would even make a difference. Now I'm not sure about it. Hope you are pain free today.

Yesterday was an emotional day. The good thing is that I didn't turn it into an excuse to eat off. So that was a victory.

I wasn't able to get Daddy on the phone yesterday or today. I think he isn't wanting to talk to DS or me right now. Daddy was so insulting to DS and me at the meeting Thursday saying things about us which he has always done with us girls and it brought back too many bad memories which DS and I talked about. Then Baby sister called me and Daddy had called her Friday night all upset that no one calls him or comes to see him and put her on such a guilt trip. She is still trying to work on her marriage and having difficulty with that and on top of that she is seeing a lot of Daddy's bad temper in her 2 older boys. Her oldest one had written me on FB to pray for him because he said he gets mean sometimes. I shared with her about our meeting with the people at the nursing home and what he said at the meeting and she took it the same way DS and I did especially since he had actually made that statement to her one time because he didn't like things she was doing he didn't like. I think he was mad at her because she doesn't go to the meetings. I've decided that he is miserable and he wants us to be miserable and we have got to work through this. I'm upset with me because I thought I was over all this a long time ago but find myself having to deal with it all over again. Really praying a lot for peace today. All 3 of us will be going to see him today. We love him and want to go see him and wish we could change what he is going through, but we can't. There are times I don't want to go and DS doesn't call or go much any more. However, I told them both that sometimes you have to do what is right just because it is the right thing today. I think this is why people stop going to see their loved ones in these places, but we don't want to do that. I wish he could realize how blessed he is that we girls go to see him at least once a week and that he has grandchildren and great grandchild and friends who go to see him. Most people don't have even one person to go see them. I may have to finally tell him that. Oh well, life sure throws a lot of crap at us doesn't it.

Still OP today and refuse to allow life get too me to throw me off plan. No since wearing the problems around my waist. DH decided that when we come from seeing Daddy today that we will go get take out of some sort and come home. He mentioned burgers so looks like we will be eating McDs. So I won't be cooking today. I'm finding IF being easier and easier to do the 16 to 19 hr fast. I'm just so bored with food and cooking these days. When we went to eat at Golden Corral, it was interesting to me that none of the food really looked all that good to me... nothing I couldn't live with out. LOL

Planning on a good day any way. I hope everyone has a great day.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #92  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Angry

Here I am with another blargy week. The scale says I am down three pounds from last week, However, I am sure it is just the typical fluctuation I've seen since the start of the year. I didn't have my act together at all last week. Last week, I promised myself I would get back to tracking things and to eat better. I tracked for one day and can't say I ate better. For a while, I was tracking all sorts of things and created little reminders. The wind has left my sails though because I was seeing little to no improvement in either the scale or NSVs.

At the start of the year, I truly believed I would be a few pounds lighter by now and in a little bit better shape. The year is almost half over and I have nothing to show for it. All of the good choices I made never amounted to much of anything aside from more steps in the journey. At least I am still in the game and haven't disappeared entirely. I like to think that counts a lot! Thanks for listening to my grumbling. I wish grumbling burned more calories-LOL.

This week was really busy with work and housework always suffers when that happens. I have four loads of laundry to fold- that will burn some calories. We had a good Father's Day here with a quiet celebration at home. Anyway, I solemnly swear I will stop being up to no good and will do my best to re-focus for this week!

Here's to a fresh start and looking to have a great week!

Last edited by Pipsicle; 06-16-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I am sorry to hear your Dad is getting you down. He is a lucky man with all of you calling him and visiting him. You know you are doing the right thing even though he doesn't seem to appreciate it. Please don't let it get you down.

The scale is only up a few lbs. You are doing great with blood sugar. That is more important.

Same with you Pipsicle. Just keep on it.

My company is here. BBL

Pipsicle, I spent 10 years spinning my wheels. Losing a few then gaining it right back. Blood sugar bouncing around. It wasn't until I got more serious about Intermittent fasting that I started having more success. It stopped me from so much snacking. You will eventually find what works for you and be sucessful. Just don't give up. As long as you are trying you haven't failed.

Trish I usually have a 16 hour fast. Occasionally it's a little longer. I don't get hungry but sometimes I want to eat for the sake of eating. Not hunger. But most of the time I don't do it. These fasts are healthy and beneficial even though the weight is not falling off. It will come of eventually. Look how far we have come.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #94  

Pipsicle Just hang in there. Like Carol Sue said we have been there. I still don't lose weight like I want but my bs is doing fairly well. Even it isn't where I want it, but it is so much better. You are younger than me and I'm sure you will figure it all out.

Our visit with Daddy went very well. DH and I got there first and we were cleaning up some of his stuff in his room when DS and her Hubby showed up. DH worked on Daddy's pc as he always does then we all went down to the lobby so we could comfortably visit with him and get him out of his room. As we left, he thanked us for coming and I heard him say that he gets lonesome and gets the blues sometimes sitting there. I'm sure he does. It made me feel so sorry for him. He asked us if our Baby sister even knew he was there and I reminded him that he had talked to her Friday night. I know they had planned to go see him but not sure they were able to make it since we had a very horrible thunderstorm and from the look of the radar they got the worst of it where she lives. But the visit went very well. I'm thinking most of his problem is loneliness.

DH got McDs CB on the way home. I fasted until we got home from seeing Daddy around 4:20 and my bs before eating was 93. I don't think I've ever had a reading that low. I didn't get hungry tonight so I decided to drink a Slim-fast shake. I have them so I may as well use them. So I'm good for the night.

I'm not sure what is going on except that I just don't get hungry any more. I just hope this feeling will continue so I can finally lose weight.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #95  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

no fasting again today. We went to a movie and tried a gluten free pizza before that to avoid snacking at the movies. That worked, but we had guacamole and tortilla chips when we got home. sigh. Tuesday it is. Tomorrow my sister is visiting at lunch and friends for supper. Social life will take a break after that, I may even do a prolonged fast if that works out.
DD was here and we walked the dog some.
Pipsicle, don't get discouraged. Find your way, and it will work. Getting to that place can be hard though.
I will check in for longer tomorrow, going to bed now, still trying to catch up on sleep, although last night was better.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #96  

BS is 113 this morning. Last evening it was 97. I felt that I had some indigestion so I chewed a Rolaids. (Walmart brand). When I checked at bedtime it was 147. From an antacid? So I thought it was going to be higher this AM. Maybe the 97 was wrong. Whatever.

Pain is low today. I woke up very early and didn't want to get up. Tossed and turned but finally fell back to sleep until 8 so that was good.

Trish I'm so glad you had a nice visit with your Dad. I'm sad that he is lonely. He was on his own and mobile in his apartment and this is a big change. I wonder if it is better for him if you and DS are there together or at different times. Maybe he doesn't even realize the difference.

I hope you get good numbers today after the shake yesterday. Not eating after dinner was the turning point for me and it works well because I can delay breakfast but not skip jt. That's the eating schedule that works best for me.

Mad, it's unusual for you to go this long without a fast but you seem to be doing well. I know it has become part of your woe now. You will get back to it once the socializing slows down.

Finally made myself get on the scale todsy. 187. YIKES!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #97  

Carol Sue I'm sure the Rolaids type meds could have caused your higher FBG. This morning I took a big swallow of what I thought was water and it was green tea with Stevia and I hadn't even taken my FBG so I'm not sure if it raised my bs or not. Now Stevia doesn't usually spike my bs but I've never tested it in other foods. I know certain combos can spike it as well. Who knows.

fatmad The nice thing about IF is that you can work around the social life etc that you are going through and still go back OP. You have got IF down so well that it is more of a way of life for you now. I'm sure you will be fine.

I ended up having a snack last night but my weight was back down to 217.6 this morning which is good. Glad it isn't in the 220s. Sheesh. FBG was 126 which could have been the tea or the shake or little snack I had, but was 113 before we ate.

I haven't been going to bed until around 2 am the past few days, but did get up before 9 this morning. Didn't get any exercise done today as I spent too much time on the phone being Mama and big sister. My daughter's birth mother died in February but the kids didn't find out until this past week when her husband sent a letter to them to tell them that she had died and he needs them to sign a paper releasing her house to him. Supposedly she left it all to him in a will, so I'm not sure why he needs anything from them. She never had anything to do with them and told him he thought they would come to her when they were grown. However, they each tried to have a relationship with her when they were grown and it didn't work out for some reason. Each one had issues once they tried to have a relationship with them. Any way I don't here from one son because his wife doesn't like me because she thinks I knew he was running around on her when he left her for another woman years ago and I only hear for the other son on Mother's day and special holidays so I don't know they are dealing with the knowledge but my daughter is having a difficult time with the fact that she walked away from them and never did anything for them and the fact that they want to make it look like it was the kids fault she had nothing to do with them. I'm so sorry my kids are having to deal with this. So I spent way over an hour with DD this morning.

Then I talked to my sisters and Baby sister, her hubby and youngest son did go to see Daddy yesterday even in that terrible storm. She said he is mad at her oldest son (he is the one who took him out to eat a few weeks ago) because he didn't come to see him. He just got back to home from working in DC last week and is booked up with new jobs starting today. So he stayed home and spent the day with his kids. Didn't even come this way to see his Daddy. In fact, he posted a picture on FB of a funnel forming over his house as that bad storm covered most of TX from just west of us all the way up to OK and AR. I was surprised Baby sister even made it to see Daddy since they live right in the center of most of the bad part of the strom. She still thinks he might be in early stages of dementia, but she said she thinks he is really angry that he has to live out there. I would like to go back to the neurologist and have Daddy checked to see if we are dealing with early stages of dementia or Alzhiemer so we would know what we are dealing with, but we don't think he needs to be told if he does have it.

I'm determined to adjust to all this and not let it stress me out and make me sick. I will always go and see him and see after him to be sure he is treated right. I guess it really doesn't matter how he feels toward me but it would help to know it is more of an illness rather than just being hateful because we aren't doing what he wants us to do. I know he gets good care where he is and he does have buddies out there. Plus I know he is blessed to have not only my sisters and me but also all the grandchildren, great grandchildren and friends who take the time to go see him. I just wish he could see and appreciate how blessed he is.

I'm staying OP and that is a great accomplishment for me with all that is going on around me right now so I'm learning that I am stronger than I thought I was. Actually I do a lot of praying and leaning on the Lord and my sweet Hubby as I am going through all this. DS is doing better. I told her yesterday that the Cpap is working great for her because she is getting the oxygen back into her system like it should and she actually has good color in her face. She is looking much better. I tell her all the time that she will get better and she will lose weight as her body starts functioning properly again. She and I have learned to stick together a lot through all this. I hope we will be able to get closer to our Baby sister and we can all be there for each other.

Thanks dear friends for listening to my ranting. I love how our group hangs together. Y'all have a good evening.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #98  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Today was last day of the social whirlwind. I am determined to fast tomorrow. At least I have been regular during this prolonged eating phase. I suspect it will take about a week of alternate day fasting to get back to where I was, which is fine. I would like to have a longer fast if possible, but not if I get blue or anything.
Trish: i think its reasonable to just assume your father has some dementia of some sort, and start learning to manage his confusion and how to respond and not to take any of his criticism personally. He may not be able to see his blessings, because he can't remember them. Its so hard to have happen, but so sadly common. You are not alone, that's for sure.

Hope everyone can stay safe during stormy weather.
Sleep well friends.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #99  

fatmad You are right about my Daddy. I finally did some reading about dementia and Alzheimer's and sent it to DS. I found a great article on WebMD explaining the symptoms from what they learned from people as they have experienced the disease. I'm so thankful for that article as it really help me to understand what he is going through and he isn't being hateful or ugly with us. He is really crying out for help the best he knows how because he knows he isn't thinking right and he is confused and it may come out as anger because he is scared or angry because he can't remember what he is trying to remember. It even explains how he can even think that someone has stolen his money. I know I found some change on the table I was cleaning off the other day and he said he had $14 dollars laying on one of the tables but someone stole it. Of course, I don't know if it got stolen or not. I know it can happen, but did it? I don't know. I just know he thinks it was.

It even explained that he doesn't remember that he can't drive. So I think I can look at this differently than I have been. I need to make a copy of that article because so I can remember how caregivers can help them as they walk through this. They also said keeping them active helps slow down the progression of the disease. So it is good that the facility takes him to Walmart as well as other places when they take him out to eat. I need to stay on top of the activities and see to it that he knows when they are going somewhere so he can go too. I have to say, I'm thankful to know there is a reason for the way he acts whether I like it or not. It really is helpful to know it is the disease and something he can't help, not meanness.

Eating has been good today. Ate one meal and a snack. So today has been good.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #100  

Trish, I am just so sorry for all the sadness you are going through with your Dad. I realize there are no words I can say to comfort you. I wish it could be different. I do not blame him because I don't think he realizes what he is doing. All I can say is keep visiting and loving him and know that you are doing the right thing. It's the same with your kids and their birth mother. They tried and it didn't work out for whatever reason. It makes them feel responsible for something not in their control. They should not carry that burden and I don't want to see you carrying it either. Your Dad is in the place where he is safe and being cared for. He does get a lot of visitors but for some reason doesn't remember. It is a very sad situation.

I am glad you are continuing to take care of yourself through this. You need to stay healthy.

My blood sugar was up this morning to 147. I took another antacid last night and I think I just never noticed how they affect me before. Also DH made pancakes last night and I ate one. He makes too many and I know he does it in case I want some but I need to start dumping them out as soon as he is done with them. If I don't eat at night I don't need the antacid. Starting out with a high blood sugar is bad for me. It is hard to get it back down before I eat. We need to go to Walmart and Target this morning and I hope he doesn't want to go for breakfast. I buy Baush and Lomb eye wash 4 oz for $3.99. I see Target has store brand 2 12 oz bottles for $3.99. I read the label and it is the same ingredient but 5 times more of it. It should be the same. It is soothing. I rinse the dogs eyes with it too. They sell it for dogs too who get runny eyes and it costs a lot more in the pet store.

Not much pain today. I will see how I feel after shopping. I have been taking the Tylenol.before the pain starts but no more than allowed.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #101  

I made chili for dinner,. my pain came back after shopping so I took TYLENOL and a nap after dinner. when I got up I could have eaten more chili but I dumped it out. That was hard but I wasn't truly hungry. Now my blood sugar is 119 and I know it will be below 100 at bedtime and stay that way overnight. I need to get back on track.

i got indigestion again today so I went back to taking Pepid. I had the Rolaids for when it was occasional but it's been 3 days in a row. The Pepcid won't spike blood sugar.

I will cook a roast in the slow cooker tomorrow. I have wanted to make it for 2 days but always had something to do in the morning and the slow cooker takes more time. It is my preferred way with roast. I haven't had roast beef for months. I am drooling thinking about it. I hope I still like it. So many of my tastes have changed. I will make mashed potatoes and lots of veggies.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #102  

FBG was 118 this am. I did not check overnight because with no G there was no risk of a hypo. I expected fasting to be lower but it's good.
​​​​​​

After coffee I will brown my roast and get it cooking. Low pain so far today. I am looking forward to say ing no more pain!

Roast is on! I usually cook it with carrots onions and potatoes and cover it with mushroom soup but I am trying a new recipe. You mix a pkg of dry ranch dressing a pkg of dry Italian dressing and a pkg of gravy mix. I coated the roast with that and browned it. Put it all in the slow cooker with a cup of water. 6-8 hours. I didn't like the taste of the dry mixes but it might be good cooked up.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #103  

Carol Sue Good for you with ditching the chili. Chili is a food that I could really over eat. Your bs is doing good too. Let me know how the roast turns out. I had to dig through my deep freezer and found 3 roasts so I need to cook them. In fact, I might put one in the crock pot for tomorrow so DH can dish it up when it is time for him to eat and I can have it when I get home. Daddy has CHF meeting tomorrow afternoon. I've got a double batch of yogurt making right now.

Seems like IF has become a way of life for me.. Sometimes I think I want to eat something but it is just so easy to eat this way. It sure saves time to just eat 1 meal and 1 snack a day. I think I'm fasting mostly 16 hrs a day. Weight is back down to 214.6 today and sure hope it will either stay or continue moving down this time. FBS was 123 this morning.

Can't get my Daddy on the phone so I've decided that he just isn't interested in talking to us. I will see him tomorrow. He stays busy with friends out there so not going to worry about him since he needs to stay active.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #104  

Trish, I don't think your Dad is deliberately ignoring your calls. He could be out of his room or sleeping. But you know him better. It wouldn't make sense to ignore your calls then complain that you don't call or come to see him. Just my thoughts.

I tasted a piece of my roast to see if it's done and I don't like it as much as when I was use the mushroom soup. How do you prepare yours.

I fast 16-18 hours most days...some more, some less. It comes natural. Nothing planned. I feel good with this. When I overeat or eat too close to bedtime I feel terrible. So I don't know why I let it happen., But it is less and less. I think carbs cause my appetite to go out of control. I prefer to feel good and it shows in my blood sugar.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #105  

Carol Sue I know Daddy may not remember how to use his phone. I have called at different times during the time when I know he is usually in his room but no answer. By this time the phone may be dead.

I usually cook our roast in envelope of Lipton beefy onion soup mix.

Closed Thread