Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
On the day he comes home, I plan on having "I'll Be Home for Christmas" playing on the computer from Youtube.

that is perfect Carol: just how you want things. And now the perfect excuse for a quiet Christmas. Anyone who comes has to bring the food.
That's right, Mad!! I usually make a ham and make potato salad, because that's a family tradition. Lately I have also been cooking a turkey or turkey breast because DH and I don't like to eat a lot of ham. With my oven not working right now, I plan on only cooking the turkey for DH and I. His kids may or may not stop over. It's really up to them, but there's not going to be a real meal cooked. I plan on having my step-daughter or my son-in-law bring my electric roaster up from the basement to cook the turkey. I really would prefer if they didn't come, because I don't want to feel as if I have to entertain them, but I will not stop them from seeing their father on Christmas.

He is getting his appetite back a bit. He was not filling out his menus for the week so they were just sending him whatever they had, and most of the things were not to his liking. Finally the woman from dietary filled it out for him asking him which things he likes and he's getting some things that are more appealing to him. He was happy to get a bowl of chicken noodle soup yesterday and ate the whole thing, and said he's eating some of everything, except salad. They don't cut their salad pieces small enough for a person in the hospital to eat, and they give him italian dressing which he does't like. There aren't many other veggies offered. I will be sure to give him veggies when he gets home. They also let him have a cup of decaf coffee yesterday. He really misses his coffee. He will probably be told to switch to decaf, but I doubt if he will. We bought a lot of cans of coffee recently when it was on sale. He will not waste those. Maybe I will buy a can of decaf and mix the two, at least for a while.

I really hope he's home by Christmas. It should happen as long as there are no setbacks. They seem to think the rehab will be for 1 week. Not sure.

I just realized I didn't send out any Christmas cards. I don't send a lot, and most of our friends and relatives know the situation with Jerry, but I will try to write out a few to those who don't know.

wt is still 186 FBG 103

I looked up my 14 day average 144 and 30 day average 155 and they are still in the 7 range or high 6 range for A1c, but I expect that to go down the longer I have these low readings. I hope I can continue but that will be harder once he comes home and I'm preparing meals for him. It's not really accurate to go according to average readings on the meter because there could be so many variations through the day, but it's a ball park figure.

Trish, I hope you are able to settle into an eating plan that will be satisfactory for you. Nothing is perfect for any of us. So many say stick to your plan, but I'm beginning to think it's beneficial to vary the plans rather than do the same thing over and over. Have some low carb meals, meals with small portions of carb, do some IF but vary the eating window, and even have an occasional up-carb day.

Our weather is going to warm up to the high 30s the next few days with sunshine, and no precipitation. I am thankful for that. It would be great for me if we didn't get much snow this winter since I will be the driver. If I keep the pantry stocked, I should be able to stay home on the snowy days.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #497  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I am so glad that DH is feeling better and eager to get to therapy and get home. I figured he was going through an adjustment period of all that has happened to him. He had to just get through all that pain and then process the situation and realize that he can come through this situation just fine. I love how you are planning his homecoming. That will make him feel so special too. Something I think he needs right now.

I remember a few years ago when DH was in the hospital in December and we did everything we could to get the doctor's to let him come home on Christmas eve. Of course, it was a double celebration for DH because his birthday is Christmas eve as well. His DD, hubby and kids were living with us. They were at home decorating and planning a welcome home for him and I was at the hospital trying to find a doctor to release him. We had been told he could come home that day, but no one had processed and signed the release. It was late that day when a doctor came in and questioned him then went out and signed the release papers so we could get him home for Christmas eve and birthday. It was quite celebration that night. So I pray with you that he will be home by then. I tell you it gave our Christmas a whole new meaning that year.

I find I am processing through some feeling I didn't know that I have and I actually feel like I need an attitude adjustment. I having praying a lot about my life and what I want to be able to do with it. So many questions, I need answers too and don't feel I have anyone I can talk to about them. When I moved away from home, I got away from so many feelings, that I am now having to process through. I spent my life trying to please my Daddy and never felt I did. It is great to have the relationship I have with him, but I feel some of those old feelings returning and I feel guilty when I don't do what "I think" he wants me to do. It makes it hard to make my own decisions on my desires and needs. When growing up, I never felt like I was allowed to think for myself. If I disagreed with him, I was made to feel like I had betrayed him. I'm trying to shake that feeling so I can be free of those things, but I think while trying to do that, I am not taking care of myself.

I have decided to follow the CAD plan. It worked before and it will work again. I like it because it isn't much different than IF except that when I read the IF books it recommended eating at the same time everyday. Although I don't mind that, I can't always do that example Mondays when we go see Daddy and Friday when I go to the beauty shop, my regular hours of eating doesn't fit and routine eat the same time everyday routine. I remember in the original CAD book, you could mix/match and change up hours etc just as long as all the CMs were carb free and only protein and lowcarb veggies and you ate only 1 carby RM when you could have whatever starchy carb or dessert you didn't want to give up. It is a good plan because nothing is off limits at RM. I also liked the fact that it is flexible times for meals and RM. If you wanted to change which meal was going to be a RM you had that option. I think it will fit IF very well as far as variations because if one day you only want or need a OMAD, you can change it up. I know when I used CAD when traveling, we only stopped for breakfast and an early supper each day. I made breakfast my RM and we always went to Cracker Barrel and I had a CM for supper, but at home I usually had it the other way around. You don't really feel like you are dieting on CAD. Nothing is written in stone. Some days can be OMAD and a snack or 2MAD, etc. but it will fit into an IF plan very well.

My weight is up today, but no surprise after last night. I tried making a lowcarb soup for me to eat last night and for one thing I didn't like it with turkey. I realized last night that I don't like turkey. I don't know when I changed but I just don't like it and I have all this turkey DN gave me. I would much rather make myself a bowl of low carb stew. Any way I guess because I didn't like to soup, I added crackers to it and set myself into a binge on crackers and thus the almost 2 lb gain from yesterday. CAD is the way I ate before we moved here and I got way off eating with Daddy and DS at Whataburger because I would end up with 2 RM on those days. Well, I don't go out for breakfast any more and if I did, DS and I would go somewhere so I can stay on CAD. Whataburger was for Daddy. I realized this morning there is no reason not to go back on CAD as it will fit into my lifestyle again. The only thing I will do differently with IF/CAD is that my eating window will be more like 10 hrs since my bs readings are much better if I wait at least 5 hrs between meals and or snacks.

If you have read this far... God bless your heart.

fatmad You are in my prayers and thoughts today. I know closing out your Dad's business things isn't pleasant, but I hope that the visitation times with family will be so great that it will ease the pain some.

Pipsicle I hope things are not being too stressful for you right now. You are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Everybody have a good day.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #498  

Trish I hope you get things sorted out in your life. I don't think you should be trying to please your Dad too much because I think his thinking is off right now. Just spend time with him when you can, nod to what he says then do what is nest for you when you leave. He led his life and you need to live yours. But I know what you mean cuz I had that with my mother.

DH and I are having a nice visit.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #499  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Trish I hope you get things sorted out in your life. I don't think you should be trying to please your Dad too much because I think his thinking is off right now. Just spend time with him when you can, nod to what he says then do what is nest for you when you leave. He led his life and you need to live yours. But I know what you mean cuz I had that with my mother.

DH and I are having a nice visit.
Thanks Carol Sue. I agree 100%. I texted with baby sister this morning and she wants to get with us when her DH gets back in town. She and I have talked and DS and I have talked about we need to get a life and that we need each other. Baby sister's DH's birthday is the end of December so we decided that while he is in town this week that all 6 of us will get together and go out for our steak dinner to celebrate both of Hubby's birthdays. She has a beauty appointment at 10:30 Friday and I offered to pick her up and take her with me since mine is at 10am. We are exciting about getting together. I will start cleaning my house to have them over more. My house is the best place to get together without kids.

I am so glad you and DH are having a good visit. I believe things will only get better.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #500  

Carol Sue I was going to comment on the conflicting info on when DH is going to rehab. When Daddy was in the hospital and they were sending him to the 2 week therapy, they did the same thing with us. They had told us they would move him on a Friday. We didn't think they would move him on the weekend. But we went in I think it was on a Thursday I believe it was and they said "He is going today". They had a room and could take him sooner than we thought. I think it all depends on when the rehab can be ready for your DH.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #501  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

The day went well with my sister and DH came along. The stone at the cemetery was correct, and we cleared it off and put a little wreath with plastic poinsettias there, and one on my aunt and uncles stone as well. (They are close together at the same cemetery, so we always say hello to both). I was never one for going to the gravesite a lot, until Mum died, Dad liked to go so I would always stop and get some flowers to take when I took Dad. It would be Mum's birthday on the 18th of December, so it was good to leave some flowers for her, she did like Poinsettias.
Things went well at the bank, and Dad did have a bit in the safe deposit box, but nothing really valuable.
His lady friend was away today so we didn't get a visit with her. But my other Aunt and Uncle (they are also my godparents) were really glad for a visit. Uncle is very crippled, bad shoulder, hips and knees, all his big joints are stiff and painful. Otherwise he is good and in good spirits. Aunt had a spell of "global amnesia" in the summer, and it seems that and her mild dementia are somewhat related to an autoimmune disorder, that is related to her thyroid disorder and Reynaud's syndrome. She is taking some prednisone for it and they have noticed improvements. She has been weaning it down slowly, and they noticed symptoms returning at some point, so she has gone back to a mid level dosage. Very interesting. It is lovely to talk with people who knew my parents way back when. We had a lovely visit and I am always happy to see them. The last few years we saw them when we rented the house near Dad's for the holidays, they would visit there, but from now on we will have to go to them, they are in their 80s now.
I did ok with eating. I wasn't going to quibble about the lunch they served, it was gluten and citrus free, so I ate the corn tortilla chips with the cheese and pate.
Carol: I am wondering if DH will have a smaller appetite when he gets home, and can adapt to eating how you are eating now. It will be heart healthy to do IF 2MAD and lower carb. That can help prevent further arterial build up too. I truly believe in it.
You are losing weight pretty quickly. You are now below 190! that is wonderful. I am sorry that you are able to eat differently for the reason that DH is in hospital, but keeping you healthy and helping him get healthy will be a good reason to continue this way.
I hope you can help him see that, and see that you are getting healthier with the weight loss.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #502  

Trish, the nurse just tells us that at this point, they don't know when DH is leaving, and I think that's the truth. They are the ones who would have to pack him up and get him ready to go, so I feel they would know. I think the problem is with the cardiologists. As a heart patient, DH WOULD be coming home around now, but they are not taking into consideration that he had a broken hip that was operated on and needs to go to a rehab center. I agree with you that it will depend on when the center has a room available, and when conditions with his heart are good enough. I think he's reached that point, but he still needs the therapy. I'm scared to death of him coming home, worried that I won't be able to take care of him properly or that something will happen.

Plus, a friend of ours had knee replacement surgery. He came home from the hospital 2 days later and started in-house rehab right away. So DH thought he was going to do the same. I don't know how that man's wife took care of him alone, but she has a daughter and son-in-law who live very near who are both retired, so they were available to help.

DH walked very good today, but he still has a long way to go. When he goes for his walk there are 2 people to assist getting him up and go with him, then get him settled back in when he's done. He also has an awful time the hour before he gets his pain pill. I don't know what I will do when he gets home. I know I can't give him his pill until it's time. It's easier for them to tell him no than it would be for me. I don't know how long this pain is going to be this bad, but I'm praying for relief for him. He also gets nauseated and they give him something in his IV for that. What will I do at home? So many unknowns.

Tomorrow I'm going to the hospital early, at 10AM with my step son. My step-daughter said she will pick me up at 3 because the football game starts at 4:30. I know DH is going to want me to stay longer. It's very hard when I know he wants me there. I was so tired today I was falling asleep. He dozed off a couple time too, and I'm glad when he gets so sleep, but I wanted some too. Right now I'm waiting for him to call before I go to bed. He is due for a pain pill at 9:30 so he's probably not in a very good mood right now. Maybe he's waiting til he gets the pain pill to call.

Mad, I don't expect DH to make much dietary changes. He might cut back on sweets, and might not. I won't hassle him about it. It's his choice. If he does it, it will be a plus.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #503  

Carol Sue I am so sorry you are feeling so stressed about when Hubby comes home. It isn't helping that you aren't getting any sleep either. Things usually have a way of working out and hopefully this will too. I hope the pain will pretty much be gone by the time he comes home.

fatmad I'm glad things went well with your visit with your sister and aunt and uncle.

My first day back on CAD has gone very well. I did 2 meals and a snack within 8 hrs. I recommitted with some others on the FB CAD support group which is very helpful. I forget how easy it is to do CAD and I need to remember that when I'm tempted not to do something else.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #504  

wt 186 FBG 121

I'm still finding it hard to believe my weight is in the 180s. I know it's not the right way to do it, but maybe the end justifies the means.

Trish, I think you should do CAD if that's what's working. Even if you have a day here and there that you don' t stay on plan, you should just get right back on. You can do this!

Leaving soon for the hospital. I am stressed, but then I realize DH is really going through a lot. I feel very bad for him. I too, feel that things will work out in the end. I'm trying not to worry about tomorrow, but just get through today. God will always be with me.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #505  
Madeleine

Default TMI maybe

Changed the ticker down again. I am still having difficulty with constipation. I have been taking senna tablets. These ones have an added softener. They always worked before but are not doing much now. I am not going often, its dry and hard when I do go. And I always feel that it slows my weight loss when this happens. If things were still soft and moist, I would just think its from lack of food since I am fasting so frequently, but it's not.
I was looking at the fibre supplements at the drugstore. I don't want psyllium (that's what's in metamucil) as it gives me gas and belly pain, so there are not a lot of choices. There is another fibre supplement, but it has citrus in it.Maybe I can find something on line. In the mean time, might have to step up the laxatives and get cleaned out.

Carol: I do think DH should avoid the sweets for heart health, there are lots of negative coronary complications from it. I usually tell my clients to save the desserts for Sundays, or a special visiting day. I had some at the party the other night, that was the first time in ages, and I won't have occasion for sweets again, until maybe Christmas day dessert. Avoid when able, has become my philosophy. I do make my low carb nut torte with stevia (its a good base for something like Trifle too) but I last had that for my birthday. I am learning that even non-sugar sweeteners have the same effect on insulin levels, which are the levels driving my weight, instead of glucose. That was a game changer for me, and I am finally off the artificial sweeteners now.

Trish: I am glad you are back to CAD that with some IF is what seems to work for you the best. I have not been strict with LCHF but made the IF my focus, and while I now need the LCHF pretty consistent, in the beginning I often had one meal with more carbs (healthy carbs ) and the other LCHF and I lost weight nicely. Lots of people have a lot of insulin resistance to get past before the weight loss starts, and that may be the reason it is taking longer for you. Keeping steady is the way to get past that. Thats always the hardest thing for you. If you want to look for the reason for my success with this, its the consistency. You have been more consistent since your move to Texas, I think. You have been living a healthier lifestyle ever since.

Have a good day friends and hellos to Pipsicle and our lurkers.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #506  

Carol Sue I think you have to just focus on One Day at a Time right now. Believe me when I say I know that is easier said than done, but I hope you can do that. It will be easier on you if you can though. I too am bad about spending time thinking too much about what if's for fear of the way things will go. I pray for you to find some peace of mind through this. God will see you through this. I always like that little saying "If God brings you to it, He will get you through it". Prayers continue for you and your DH. Hugs.

fatmad I'm sorry about the constipation issue. I never could use Metamucil. My uncle who passed away drank it everyday, but when I take it it just feels like a rock sitting in my gut. No matter how much water/liquids that I drank never seemed to help. I hope you find something that will help.

I'm on Day 2 of CAD. I agree it always works for me. I think it is the flexibility. I'm finding it easier as I start over with others on there. In fact, some of the others who have figured out how to make it work for them are sharing more about their experiences. I've since learned that I don't have to have veggies every morning with my eggs unless I just want to. One of the moderators who started the FB group is sharing her journey more and even tells how there are times she might end up with 2 RM but just goes on. She has lost weight and admits that if she had been stricter and hadn't strayed to try other diets herself that she would have lost more weight, but she feels good about her progress. She doesn't seem to let it get too her. Last night she and another who have just started back OP recently shared what they had and their desserts during RM of which one had 2 desserts. I thanked them because I felt so bad about how carby my RM and shared with them what I had eaten. It made me feel so good when one of them came back and said that I had done better than she had because she had eaten a bigger dessert than I did. I can't tell you how liberating that made me feel as I see others going through the same thing, but they are losing weight. One of the women said they eat a CM (Complimentary Meal) for breakfast and around 2 or 3 has her RM and then has a cheese stix for a Complimentary snack later. That is pretty much the way I like eating 1 CM breakfast, RM and a CS later. I felt right at home with the group because I've found a home with others eating the way I feel comfortable eating.

Someone mentioned eating chicken wings for a CM. I had forgotten about them and really love chicken wings and like the idea of eating them instead of the cheese stix for a CS. I had seen some wings in the freezer the other day so I put them out to thaw over night. This morning I took a mess of them out and cooked them in the Air-Fryer and put them in the fridge for evening snacks. I will take a couple of wings out along with a finger salad such as celery and radishes and close my 8 hr eating window with them for a light CS. This way I can stay on 8:16 IF.

I'm back on the GOLO Release pills again and so far so good. I'm not sure what my problem was last week with tummy but it does seem to be gone. I do feel good about what I am doing and feel like I'm on my way to success. Not using MFP any more, but I am still tracking. Just using a spiral notebook and doing a food plan each morning when I track weight, FBS/bs readings and bp to keep up with everything. I want to know what breakfast and snack won't change all that much, but RM will vary and I want to know how it affects thing. I am doing a daily WI so I can average each week just as the book says to do. I do that so that those weeks that doesn't look like much is happening, I will be able to see those minute losses that we don't usually see. I have my measurements from the 1st of the month in a little book and won't measure again until January 1st. I think I'll change the ticker on the side with my starting weight from yesterday. I want to make this an honest new beginning for the coming year.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #507  

Hello everyone. DH and I had a nice visit and step-daughter came in for a while. He is having a pretty good day compared to the first few days and he realized that he has come such a long way. He feels that it will never be over. It's hard to see the end when it's not in sight. He gets pain after they get him up to walk twice a day. His leg with the broken hip throbs and burns and the pain meds they give him are not very strong. At my suggestion, they have added Tylenol on the side to help a little. His back hurts a lot and I rubbed his back 4 times while I was there. He is able to adjust himself in the chair so that's progress.

Fortunately for me I rarely have constipation. I don't think I eat low enough carb for that. I have never leaned toward that. I do sympathize with those who do. The few times I've had it it was uncomfortable. I know it detracts from weight loss, but we have to think in terms of fat loss that we're aiming for, rather than the number on the scale. It will all come out in the end, pun intended!! LOL
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #508  

Carol Sue Glad DH is getting better and sees he has come a long way already, but I agree that it is difficult to not be able to see the light at the end of the journey when it feels so long and far from you. I'm sorry he is having so much pain. There is such a fight to stop addiction these days and I understand that, however, it is sad they don't give people enough to take care of the pain so they can get through the pain. I notice with Daddy they always say Tylenol. Daddy isn't one to take pain medicine but when he needs he needs it. It sad that those who have abused them has made it difficult for those who need it. Hopefully the pain will become less and less. It is nice that you two are enjoying your visits now. I pray the stress on both of you will get less and less.

My second day back on CAD has been very good. I did have breakfast and lunch and a snack and had it within 7 hour window today. So my eating stopped before 7 pm. It has been a pleasant day.

Have a nice evening and I hope you get rest tonight Carol Sue.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #509  
Madeleine

Back to fasting now: had supper with our former neighbours in the country. They are the loveliest people, so glad we got to see them. But she cooks such lovely meals, just a lot of it. I stayed lowish carb, had a few potatoes and rice crackers though. And a small glass of wine. Thats it now until Christmas for the drinking.
I am still thinking about my approach at my meeting next week. Wednesday evening until after lunch Friday. I am thinking to do OMAD on Wednesday, 2MAD Thursday, and skip eating there on Friday, as we are meeting both DD for supper on Friday, as the older one is flying in and laying over, leaving late Friday or early Saturday. A pre-holiday treat just to see her again. I expect that will be the last of her for a bit. I hope to go to Germany in March to see her possibly, she will likely be staying there for a couple of months. Not seeing her is very hard for me.
Carol: I agree with Trish, one day, even one hour at a time, two steps forward and one back. Healing is not usually a straight forward process, so many challenges, especially as we get older. I am glad you advocated for the tylenol. What about some naproxen as well? I have always found the combo of tylenol with either ibuprofen or naproxen is a pretty powerful pain reliever. Has to be ok with whatever else he is on. And back rubs never go amiss.
Trish: sounds like you have some good support for your way of eating. Finding the balance that works for you, and not getting too upset when you go off plan a little , but just get right back to plan, is key. I am not worried at all about the carbs I had yesterday and today. I just go back to fasting or low carb and keep going.
Off to bed, enjoyed my hot tub tonight for sure.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #510  

fatmad Have you ever used cassava flour? I saw it on a low carb group for cooking a chocolate cake. Just wondered if it is good.
Closed Thread