Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #481  

Nice going Trish!!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #482  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone:
Doing well, seem to be steady at 179 for now, but will keep working to bring it down. Off call this week, just working days, hope I can manage the food while being social. Trying to plan appropriate places to eat on the weekend, starting to plan now.
We are having a snow storm tonight. Glad I won't have to go out.
trish, you should be really happy with yourself. Yes, it would be nice if we hadn't gained the weight, but we can't change the past, and your are moving forward in a healthy happy way.
Fickle, sounds like diabetes doesn't just RUN in your family, it Gallops!. Good for you for changing the channel and getting healthy.
Anne, thats really hard at work, and you might want to ask people to either move it or lose it with the candy. For us, its like putting poison out. Hardly fair to face it all the time.
Have a good night, and stay safe if you are in the storm track.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #483  
Madeleine

oh, FYI re lactic acidosis:
this is a risk of metformin, and is why some people cannot take it. Its not a strong risk, and I don't see that it more common if you drink while taking metformin. Its a rare reaction, but for those who feel crummy, not just having digestive symptoms when they are taking it, should check in with your health care provider.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #484  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Well, kettlebells didn't get dusted off. After my 2.5 mile walk I was exhausted. I need to figure out why I keep waking up at 3 am and not being able to go back to sleep. It's killing my evenings. I've been going to bed super early.

Grats on the wl Trish. Hey, I'm of the mindset that if it's going down, that's a GOOD thing.

Saturday is always my eating day LOL. I have to plan where to go too fatmad. I'm limited mainly to either buffets or steakhouses, which isn't fair to my poorer friends, but most anywhere else leaves me starving. And is leaving my own bank account rather sad. I think we're going to try an all you can eat sushi/hibachi place this weekend. Not a huge fan of sushi and I can avoid rice with the hibachi. Friends really want to go.

Down to 209.2 this morning. I'm hoping for 207 this weekend. Crossing fingers!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #485  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Fickle, just out of curiosity, check your blood sugar next time you wake at 3AM. It could be low, or overly high. I agree, buffets are great for low carb eating.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #486  

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.a. View Post
Trish that is the mindset I'm working on. I know my weight problem started when I was young. My mom was always on a diet and we hardly had any treats in the house. When I hit puberty I gained weight. Because we didn't have cookies, chips etc around whenever I was around them I couldn't control myself and I overrate them till they were gone. When I moved out of the house I bought all the treats I wanted but I didn't have an off switch....I still don't. Now at 53 years old I have to remind myself over and over I can have more tomorrow. I struggle with it all the time.
Willpower is tough. For most of us we can't rely on it. The only thing we can rely on is controlling our environments to take away the temptations and put only healthy things in our path. If you don't bring it into your house or if you don't have it at your desk you can't eat it. And friends and family members often make it tough - but maybe they can help you out on this and eat your favorite junk foods only out of the house or when you're not around. The other thing is that just because we're trying to lose weight doesn't mean we should be depriving ourselves. I have tricked myself into eating an abundance of fruit and vegetables - loads of them! Clementines and grapes are my go-to since they are so sweet and I still feel like I'm snacking. It's all low calorie so my stomach will feel full before I'll eat enough to gain weight. I stay ahead of hunger by snacking on fruit all day, and then when my favorite junk food is around it's less tempting. Or at least I have less.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #487  
Madeleine

Good idea to check blood sugars with odd waking at night. Let us know!
my fasting this am was 5.4 so am fairly happy with that. I haven't tested much for a while, so am checking in before I do my every 6 months blood work.
Trying to eat very carefully. So many opportunities for comfort eating as we are taking turns sitting with my admin as she is dying. Her family is so wonderful. We are grateful they are allowing us to be part of the family at this time. Everyone is bringing all kinds of food and treats.
Aside from worrying about my own eating, her husband is the diabetic man who has already lost a foot to his disease, and all these goodies aren't good for him. Those who bring real meals are great, but the desserts are going to be a real problem for him. Today we put some stuff in the freezer, (out of sight, out of mind?) not wanting to throw stuff out. How to tell people to stop?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #488  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad, it's nice that all of you are spending time with the adminstrator. The people bringing the treats probably don't realize that they are causing a problem for her husband. Full meals are very helpful for a family in this situation. As I said before, it is important for the diabetic to take responsiblity in these situations, knowing the consequesces of eating those foods. People who are not diabetic don't always think of that. Maybe some other family members can take the sweets home. My DIL always brings a dessert of some type to a family meal and makes me feel that I should try some. But my SIL always brings side dishes for dinner. She also cannot eat sweets because of symptoms from having gastric bypass surgery.

HealthyLiving, no one ever got fat from eating too many vegetables.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #489  

Healthyliving, fruit is a great snack but undortunately its raises my bg so I limit myself to an apple a day. Low calorie doesn't always mean low sugar....as diabetics we have to be aware of carbs. I can't eat grapes, bananas or oranges without a high.

Last edited by p.a.; 03-03-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #490  

Still woke up last night, but I didn't want to get out of bed and was able to drift back off in about 30 min. My fitibit still says I was restless and averaged 3 hours actually asleep. Tonight I'm putting my testing kit on the nightstand and will you let you guys know.

So far down .8 lbs since Sunday. This bodes well for my Sat/Sun weigh in. I just need to lose 3.6 lbs to win my dietbet and still have two weeks left. /crossingfingers

I have awesome co-workers. They bring in candy, but since I've said I was diabetic, they now bring me sugar free candy. It makes me smile.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #491  
Slow and sure chick

Healthylivingalways
Great name!
The willpower (or "won'tpower) is at the very beginning of changing our eating, because we are going against the norm of poor eating. Once we practice healthy eating for a while (about a month for me) healthy eating became the norm and willpower was no longer the biggest issue. Before healthy eating was a pattern for me, I'd look at Haagen Dazs at the store and sigh wistfully. Now I see it and think "not healthy" and move on. I've been surprised at how doable it is. You can DO it!

Also, I had to actually "sneak up" on healthy eating. First I cut out sweetts, then lowered my pasta/bread/rice intake. I've always loved fruits and veggies, so I just continued with that. So my next mini sneak tweek will be limiting fruit to 2 portions per day.

Hi everybody!

Fickle
Glad to hear your coworkers are so considerate. My coworked insisted on having a candy dish in our small office and told me to "suck it up". Then she got worse, and monitored how much I ate. It was horrible. So glad I don't work there anymore.

Fatmad
Boy, that's a hard situation. People bning desserts to "make everyone feel better". And of course her DH is very stressed out right now. You could mention to folks that they are not doing anyone a favor bringing that, but you might become the "food police". Do you want to play that role?

Clanhound
Congrats on reining in your blood sugars! And welcome! Keep up the good work.

Wannabe
When I'm really tempted to eat sugar, I ask mysolf "which toe do I want to lose first?" That wakes me right up.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #492  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Anne I'm not sure that ever welcomed you. I hope everything is going well for you.

Fatmad I was wondering how your friend was doing. So good of all of you helping out/being there for her and the family. I know when my previous DH passed away that I really appreciated those who were there for my and the kids. While I appreciated the food for feeding so many, it was the love I felt from everyone that I remember the most and I'm sure they will too. Even after all these years after Mama's passing away, it was the love I felt from so many that I remember more than anything else. You, as well as they, are in my thoughts and prayers.

FickleHearts When you wrote about your kettle bells, I was going to start using mine and I still haven't use my kettle bell yet.

p.a. and healthylivingalways There are still foods that I cannot bring into the house because I know they are triggers for me. However, I have to say that I believe that I am getting my mind around all of this. I have found at Sam's Club a popcorn SkinnyPop that is in individual serving packages. I eat one of those each evening for a snack when I take my Metformin. Last night it tasted so good that I really, really, really wanted to open another package. I have plenty weekly points so I could have had it, but I decided that a second bag probably would not taste as good so I passed it up.

Watercolor I have had to ease into the way I am now eating on WW. It has taken me a while to settle to eating healthier than I was in the beginning.

Carol Sue I eat 2 and once in awhile I will have 3 fruits each day. I finally decided that I can fill up on veggies and cut back on other foods. I would probably eat a little more grains (it helps fill me up for hours), but #1 it costs me too many points and #2 it doesn't help the FBG too much. I'm mostly learning to eat healthy balanced meals.

We went out to eat at DH favorite restaurant (Golden Corral) yesterday. I noticed that my choices have settled down. I can eat a piece of the fried fish (tried the baked and it tasted awful and was tough), a piece of beef roast, and then fill up on veggies. I love eating at buffets and steak houses. Yesterday when it came time for when I usually would have a dessert, I ate a small salad. I left feeling so good about my choices.

I have a new low today down .6 lbs, but don't know if it is real. If I keep it until WI day next week then I will change my ticker then. I am settling into a routine of eating so maybe it will be here to stay. I'm also exercising a minimum of 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. And since WW counts housecleaning as exercise too, it gets me up off my tail and do some house cleaning so I can count that as well. Yesterday I walked a good 30 minutes in a couple of stores as well as riding 30 minutes on the bike.

FBG still is in the 160 to 170. Since my tummy issues have kind of settled down with the 500 mg Metformin each day, today I am attempting to take 2 a day. I might have to do it like I did when I started back on the one Metformin. I will keep taking the one at night and then take one in the morning with breakfast on the days I'm not going any where until it things settle down. I will discuss it with my doctor Monday because I will need him to give me a new prescription for 2 a day. I really pray I can take it. I do get hungry sometime when I shouldn't and today I remembered that when I took 1000 mg a day in the past that I did not get hungry.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #493  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
Still woke up last night, but I didn't want to get out of bed and was able to drift back off in about 30 min. My fitibit still says I was restless and averaged 3 hours actually asleep. Tonight I'm putting my testing kit on the nightstand and will you let you guys know.
Fickle -

Do you have any issues with snoring? Restless sleep and waking coupled with snoring could be sleep apnea. Hope not, but thought I would mention it. I have sleep apnea so I am aware of some of the issues.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #494  

So naturally of course, I finally slept through the night. LOL! While I love the rare once in a blue moon good nights sleep, irony is so annoying.

I took a sleep test about 7 years ago and it said I didn't have apnea. My husband swears up and down I don't snore and I bug him constantly about it because sleep apnea was the first suspect (my dad has it). He does say I fidget all night though. My mother tends to have the same problem and I really think it's something to do with hormones. It's always around 3 am which is usually the time of night your body does that hormone dump to prepare you for waking at dawn (dawn effect). That's just my opinion. I can't find a doctor that takes the issue seriously enough to do any tests.

My kettle bells are still dusty and my dvd is sad I haven't played it in a while. I actually love the Iron Core kettle bell workout. It's a slow easy beginner pace and I was seeing great results with it. I think I need to pick my walk or that. Right now I'm just obsessed with 10k steps a day. Stupid fitbit challenges.

I am sorry about your friend Fatmad. You have my prayers.

Fruit - I love those orange cuties. I can eat a whole bag. :| I am avoiding fruit until I get to at least 180. I'm hoping by then I can incorporate fruit and the rare occasional sweet into my diet without killing myself. I will never go back to eating how I did lord willing, knock on wood.

My meals are usually grilled meat, veggies or salad, and some fat (cheese or oil). Once or twice a week I go up to 70 net carbs at the most and have fajitas or fried shrimp/chicken with the occasional french fry. It's the condiments that get me on the carbs the most. They stopped selling sugar free ketchup down here and I can't find a sugar free bbq sauce that doesn't taste horrid.

I'm pretty good about avoiding food brought into the house I can't eat. My father is living with us and he brings in all kinds of junk. My husband as well. I just tell myself it's not worth it and chow down on steak.

Down to 208.2 this am. Total surprise since I just hit 209.0 yesterday. It's a good Friday!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #495  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

FickleHearts Congratulations on the new low surprise. So happy for you.

I saw an article on Yahoo.com about Dr. Hyman. He had been a vegetarian for years but found himself putting on weight as he got older. His way of eating wasn't working any more. He has written a book Eat Fat Get Thin. I ordered his book. I know, I wasn't going to but I did.

I know I cannot eat a lot of fat, but I decided to see what he says. I've been eat lowfat to get the pts down. But I'm not sure that is the right way. I am interested in seeing what he has to say, because WW new plan is low saturated fats and I have really wondered about that.

I've decided to end my WW online membership when my 3 months is over. Save that money for move. LOL I am going back to MFP to track my calories. I learned some things from WW, but I think I need to track every food and not think of veggies or fruits as freebies/0 pts. Plus they haven't got their website working right and typing foods in the search is too slow and choppy. MFP is just easier and it keeps my foods where I can pull them up quickly. And I can see how low my carbs are.

I started tracking on MFP today and I may keep Friday as my WI day. Maybe a change will be good for me as I've always used Monday. We do eat a little off plan on Saturdays so might make that my cheat day. I will change my ticker with my new low of 224.6.

I will work toward 1200 to 1300 calories daily although I have 1600 ceiling. I'll use that for off days like WW's weekly pts. I'll keep my exercise of 30 minutes bike for 5 days a week plus housecleaning and others I do from time to time. I do believe the plan I have now is becoming a lifestyle.

Have a nice week end everyone.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-04-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Closed Thread