Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I'm having trouble with too much fat. I ordered the Doctor's Diet book. I would like to read why we should eat from all the food groups. I noticed from what I read online even interview he did with Prevention that you should start by making small changes and he says it r.eally isn't a diet. I also read about it on WebMD and he stresses eating more veggies and fruits than the usual 5 servings a day. Any way, I think I can learn from him and perhaps tweak my plan so that I don't have such drastic reactions to the LCHF. Maybe I will learn how to eat more balanced.

I am continuing with lowcarb dieting until I get the book and then make any adjustments I might feel I need to make after reading the book. While I feel sure more fat has its place, I just don't think I can eat high fat the way LCHF diets recommend. So I look forward to seeing what he has to say. And perhaps it will be something DH and I can do together.

I am impressed with what you shared about how he has us eat smaller portions. When I was doing Weight Watchers, I ate smaller portions than they recommended and I was told by someone that you had to eat the whole portion size. I always did better when I did it on my own and lost weight as long as I did it my way. Strange, huh?
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I hope you like this diet. I thought about you when he mentioned eating fruit. There are carbs, but not a lot of them and I think the small portions would be good for a diabetic. I am glad I found that website I posted because I will be able to refer back to that after I have to return the book to the library. I can go online and renew it up to 4 times. I still haven't finished it, but I keep reading parts of it over and over. He says not to be afraid of fat because the body needs it, but he does not promote high fat. I am on the fence about fat. I do not eat low fat, but I don't go out of my way to add extra fat. I think anyone could do this diet. It seems to me that it's just normal food.

When I went to WW they stressed eating all your points, but there were other members who said they did not eat all their points every day, and some days ate more. I am trying to cut back a bit on calories by reducing my portions. We went out today and I had a hamburger with lettuce and tomato without the bun and a cup of vegetables soup. I will always do my own plan, but I'm taking pointers from Dr Stork's diet.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #183  

Carol Sue I went back to the site you shared and like it better than the other sites I found of his. So I deleted the other one I had found and bookmarked the one you shared. I think what I'm going to like about his book is that he allows the grains like beans and I assume that means I can have my corn too. I think I read where he said eat the carbs earlier in the day. So yesterday I decided to make a steak, corn and broccoli for our main meal and I had grapes for dessert. Then about 7ish, I had scrambled eggs with chunks of butternut squash, a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese and pepper/onion blend and added a splash of HWC. I used butter on my lunchtime veggies and I cooked my scrambled egg mixture in a little bit of Olive Oil and I took a whole Metformin 1000 mg. I was completely satisfied and ate in a 5 hr window.

My weight this morning is down another lb to 220, but not going to change the ticker just yet. Monday is my WI day and since the scale bounced between 219.8 and 220, I just might be down to the weight I was when I got back from my trip. My FBS was 120 this morning. So things are working. I think the Doctor's Diet will probably help me tweak this so that I can live with this. I also like idea that he says lowfat not necessarily high fat. I'm not going to worry about things like eating only 7 eggs a week or adding or not eating fat, because I don't really think that is necessary. And you are right, I like the fruit allowed. I think DH and I used to watch The Doctors tv show, but don't remember what station it was on. I don't think we get that network any more.

I will follow his idea of using berries and grapefruit instead of the sweeter fruits. I do love strawberries which are always plentiful in this part of the country and I also love grapefruit. Can't remember the other fruit he recommended right now.

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with all this. I have bloodwork next Thursday and have my A1c the Wednesday after that. But I know it isn't going to be great because of my screwing around with all this since I got back home from the trip. However, I do have a plan that will give me much better results in November. I'm not sure I will tell him what I'm doing until he can see the good bloodwork then.

Going to beauty shop this afternoon instead of tomorrow. Beautician is going out of town this weekend. It will be nice not to have to go anywhere Saturday for a change. I will be doing my shopping tonight with all the people getting off work this evening instead of tomorrow when they are busy with kids or watching games etc. But will be a nice change.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-29-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #184  

Trish, the first phase is stricter than the second phase, and then you alternate back and forth between the two phases. Remember, you are allowed to have the carby vegetables, such as corn, peas, squash, etc, but only once a day and only 1/2 cup. My personal opinion is if you're calories are low enough, I think you should be able to have them twice a day. Each person is different, and if it doesn't raise your blood sugar or weight, go for it. In the first phase the fruits are apple, grapefruit and berries. In the second phase there is a larger selection of fruits, but quantities are still limited. I don't usually eat fruit, but grapefruit is a favorite, so since I am stopping my statin, I'm going to start buying the little single serve cups of grapefruit. You are allowed a whole grapefruit!

The beans are allowed from day one I believe, but they are a protein choice, so if you have them, that's your only protein choice for that meal. He does say that you can have 2 protein choices at a meal if you take the protein from another meal. That was mentioned for people who like a bigger breakfast and a smaller lunch or dinner.

In the book, I get the impression that veggies are unlimited, because for each meals it says "2 or more" veggies. When you get the book, tell me what you think about this.

I also get the impression that white bread, pasta, rice, or sweets are never added back to this plan, but he does state that no one is perfect and if you stray, don't beat yourself up.

I was really surprised that I found that website. It's not the Doctor's website, but someone else posted the whole diet program, which makes it convenient for us, but really makes it unnecessary to purchase the book. I might print it out, because it's possible that it will be taken down eventually.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-29-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #185  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Good morning girls!

Yesterday was an awful day!! We went to our old house and discovered the painter we hired did a horrible job, got paint all over the trim and carpet (which we fortunately had already agreed we should replace to help with the sell) and made such a mess of things we are now going to have to hire someone to essentially repaint the entire house. We are sick!!! This character is also refusing to return our key so now we will have to pay to change the locks. SICK!!! Another house in our neighborhood just went on the market priced about $10K less than what we are planning to list ours at but ours has a few features the other doesn't so I think it's alright but I'm now starting to get very anxious about the house actually selling - I had not let myself think too much about that before since so many other things needed to happen first but I guess this is where prayer takes over and worry has to surrender.

I have been doing some reading and I think when I get back on plan I'm going to go backwards and start over with giving up wheat and sugar....not necessarily try to eat "low carb" or "high fat". I still believe that those two are the biggest issue with weight and insulin issues so I think I'm going to focus on them and not worry as much about other stuff. I've lost almost half of what I want to lose so the rest may come off slower with not giving up as much of the fruit, etc. but I think it will help me to get back on plan, not being as restrictive. I also need to get back to testing with making those changes and if something I am allowing is causing spikes then that has to be considered as well. I will, however, continue with my coffee the way I had been making it because I love it like that.

And for some good news, the magazine article is finally "a wrap" - I am done with answering questions and submitting photos. It got dicey there for a bit because they were wanting pictures and our camera has not surfaced yet in the unpacking but I was able to get them something that was not quite what they wanted but good enough so I think I'm finally done dealing with it. The article is supposed to run in All You for November. I will let you know if that changes!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 08-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #186  

Height: 5'7"

Shannon- so sorry to hear about the painting job. I would be sivk over it.

I really need to read some of the websites on different diets. I have a hard time finding time for Bible reading sure can't find time for other reading. Reading is my favorite thing to do for relaxing. I did finish up knitting a dish rag. Got another one started. I need to get busy if I'm using them as Christmas presents.

Food has been great the past few days. I am sleeping better but scales are not moving yet. Fbs was 100 today.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #187  

Shannon So sorry you have bad experience with the painter. Mother of deceased hubby #2 and her sister had the same problem with a painter years ago. DH walked in and asked them who painted the woodwork which was all that had to painted as the rest of the house was paneled. The painter had used water base paint over semi-gloss and ruined it. I think they ended up having to get someone else do it all over. I'm looking forward to the magazine article. I don't usually by too many mags, but surely will purchase one that you are in. I surely do wish I could drink one cup of coffee like you do, but my body says no, no, no, no.

Carol Sue I thought about printing that myself so I would have it as kind of a guideline while waiting for the book. Also can take it and read at the beauty shop this afternoon if my beautician isn't talkative. We are good friends and sometimes she plans for me to be there without any other customers so we can visit. But it would be good to have it until the book gets here. It may not be here for over a week. It must be popular because Amazon had a note on it that it may take 2 extra days for it to ship. Apples, that was the other fruit. Apples are so good for you too. Thanks for reminding me. Actually, I am eating my carby vegetable at 1st meal of the day. I didn't realize squash was considered a carby veggie. I had it last night and didn't stop me from losing or my fbs from going down. Maybe it is eating within the 5 to 8 hr window on IF. All that is where the book will come in handy. But I am trying to eat at least 1200 calories a day and I am having to struggle some times to reach it. I seem to have to add the carby veggie I eat and the little fat I add like butter and EVOO to reach it each day. Thanks for the reminders though. It will be fun to explore this way of eating with you.

I've got a pork chop in the oven which I will have corn on the cob and asparagus with for lunch. Staying OP is so much easier this way. I am eating earlier because I'm going to beauty shop at 3 which is when I usually start eating. So today will be more of an 8 hr eating window. Another thing I love about IF is the flexibility.

Later.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #188  

Dgramie, I can understand giving Bible reading top priority! Believe it or not, I lost weight a lot better when I just cut back on quantities and junk food, before I started reading about different diet plans. The information started to run together. I would start the day on one plan and finish up on another. That doesn't work. You will do this. Slow and steady wins the race. You are eating well and keeping your blood sugar in line. That's a big start.

Shannon
, I am so sorry to hear about the painting fiasco. This guy should be ashamed of himself. And keeping your key? It's sad to pay to change the locks, because the buyer will probably do that also. I will keep you in my prayers, that the house sells quickly.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #189  

I am really having a problem getting my calories up even to 1100 today. Have my plan for today and can only get it to 1088. I guess as I'm satisfied that is all that counts. My doctor did give me permission NOT to eat when I'm not hungry.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #190  

Honestly, Trish, if he had said NO would you stuff yourself because he said so? No one decides how much or what I eat except me.

I just made hummus. Flavored one with roasted red peppers and the other with grilled eggplant. Yum, yum, yum. This will be my snack protein with my celery sticks.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #191  

Carol Sue No, I wouldn't have any desire to stuff myself if the doc had said I had too. I have enough of those telling me I have to eat when I'm not hungry.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #192  

Good Morning Chickies,

I was so tired when I got home last night, I just had an Atkins dinner, the Chili Con Corne and had cashews for dessert. Boy did it hit my system early this morning. I'll have to remember not to eat both within the same meal. Although Atkins does use a lot of spices and they may mess with my tummy that just isn't use to that stuff. Any way the pay off was good when it comes to my weight. I am down another 1.4 lbs to 218.6 this morning. If I can keep this, it means I've finally lost 20 lbs since Christmas and I weigh less than I did when I came home from my trip in June. My fbs was up to 127 not sure why. Maybe because I had an 8 hr eating window instead of a 5 hr., but it is still better than being up in the 130s and 140s. So I'm not complaining. Some of the reaction could also be going back to 1000 mg of Metformin. I'm taking the whole thing at night. Maybe I should divide it again and take it 12 hrs apart. I might try that.

Today will be a lowcarb day for me. Wings and zucchini or eggplant. I finally found a smaller eggplant at Walmart last night so grabbed it.

Lazy day today I hope. My big mini-blind in my front window broke when I opened it yesterday. DH may want to go get another one, but I'm going to try to talk him into going tomorrow after church or even Monday. I kind of like having a lazy day once in a while. I say lazy, but of course I will be cooking. I got the Angus beef franks that Carol Sue for us to eat on the Monday for the holiday.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #193  

Trish, I hope you like the Angus Beef Franks. They cost a little more, but it's not like I'm buying enough for a big family, just the two of us, and I like the fact that we're eliminating the nitrates in them. We still have some of the other ones in the freezer but we will use them eventually.

There are a lot of reasons why you should not force yourself to eat more calories. As we age, our metabolism slows down a bit and we don't need as many calories. If you're not hungry, you're fine. Also, using an online food tracker can sometimes be wrong. You may be underestimating your portions or not including hidden calories. I think you're better off erring on the low side. I could learn from you. I struggle to stay at 1200 or below.

I have taken the tumeric 3 days now and I am not having any issues so far. I'm thinking that you have sensitivities. Not many things effect my tummy like the fats and spices effect you. My mother always said I had an iron stomach and could eat everything and anything. That could be part of my weight problem. LOL

I have also been drinking the water with the Bragg Vinegar. I don't notice any drop in my BS. In fact, I've had some higher readings. I bought a small bottle, so if I don't see any improvement eventually I won't buy it anymore. Maybe it just doesn't work for me.

Enjoy your day. It will be a busy one for me because I've been having lazy days all week!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #194  

Carol Sue I never had any issues with foods in the past. However, I just realized that they really started with the sugar alcohols in the Atkins bars and when I tried the coffee with all that fat. Last night I had an Atkins dinner. I'm beginning to think maybe there are things in the Atkins foods that I cannot handle. So far I haven't had any problems with the shakes, but I don't have them very often either. Also I did chew some diet gum last night which I've been staying away from too.

I'm thinking maybe I cannot eat any kind of foods called/marked/considered diet foods any more especially if processed. Although, I have had some WW Smart Ones dinners with no problems. So just may have to stick to more home cooked foods and stay away from any processed foods.

I agree about the need for so much food at our ages. I remember thinking when I was younger and had a SIL who usually ate a candy bar in the afternoon and then a meal in the evening. I had always heard that as we age we need less food. I used to wonder what was going to happen to her when she gets to the age where she had to cut back. Where would she cut back. Haven't seen her since she and my BIL divorced. But I often wonder about her. I have places to cut back, she doesn't.

Actually, I've decided not to tell my doctor what I'm doing this time. If I mention IF, he will say I need to eat and I've decided that I'm just not going to eat when I'm not hungry. I remember years ago dreaming of people making me eat when I wasn't hungry and how miserable I felt. I've already lived that dream and I'm not doing it any more. Actually, I think my dieting and insisting on my DH eat more "healthy" just may be why he has a belly now. I especially thought that after reading Dr. Chase's website and seeing the different body types. When we married, he ate what he wanted although he would eat the food I cooked. I age pretty much the way I wanted and he ate the way he had always ate. We both were thin. It is when we started following whatever diet I read was healthy that I gained weight and he gained belly fat.

Neither one of us ate breakfast, but I loved fruit. Almost was a fruitatarian if there is such a thing. He loved soup and ate it often. I didn't so I ate a lot of tuna salads which was my favorite. He had a big bag of potato chips that he would eat a few bites out of each day, but I never touched them because I knew I could not eat just one. We ate whatever we were in the mood for... Chinese food, hamburgers, subways, and even fried/broasted chicken on occasion. We usually shared the Chinese food. And I made desserts on special occasions. I did not gain weight and he had a flat tummy.

I had not reached my goal so I started looking online for support diet groups and they would tell me I couldn't eat certain foods on whatever diet I was on. And of course, I started eating breakfast again because that is the most important meal of the day and changing the way and what we ate and I got fat and he got a belly. Sad thing is that it didn't take long to put back on almost all the weight I had gained. Should tell me something shouldn't it?

Now I'm pretty much eating 2 meals a day again and eating pretty much what we like and want within reason and the weight is coming down and so is the fbs. In fact, the Doctor's diet may end up being almost like the way I ate when I married DH with just a few variations. Like I said once before, I don't worry about eating whole eggs when I eat them. I looked on Amazon and the book is actually on its way and already in Knoxville. Still scheduled to be here by Thursday, but it just might get here sooner.

Well, I'm wordy again. So I'll close.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #195  

Trish, when it comes to IF, I think your doctor hears the word "fasting" and thinks of those people who go days without any food. I know there are some IF plans where you only eat 500 cals on some days, but otherwise, it is just not eating from dinner until breakfast the next day. To me, that is how we were intended to eat. Even if you don't eat breakfast when you first get up, and even if it's not traditional breakfast food, the first meal you eat for the day is "break fast." Natually thin people have eaten that way for years. When my doctor asked me how I improved my labs I just told him I changed my diet. He didn't ask how and I didn't elaborate. He was just happy to see the changes however I did it.

When my DH goes to the doctor I go in with him because he doesn't pay attention. The doctor asked me why DH doesn't come in with me for my appointments and I told him "I don't want him telling you things I don't want you to know!" He just laughed.