3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   July Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/297444-july-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

Shannonsnail 07-01-2014 09:36 AM

July Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat

Welcome to July! Let's continue chatting!

pattygirl63 07-01-2014 10:54 AM

Weight was up 1.4 lbs today, but I'm sure it was the sodium from eating at KFC yesterday. I used to like going to that particular KFC because they have a buffet and I can get veggies, but it just didn't taste like it used to. DH was hungry for it and enjoyed it so I guess it wasn't a total loss. The good thing that has come out of it all is that I'm more determined than ever to be back OP plan today. My fbs was 125 and I don't want to see it go any higher. I've got my plan tracked on MFP. Although MFP gives me a calorie limit, I'm not going to pay attention to that as much as I am just going to keep up with what I eat.
I know the calorie limit is a problem for me but I like seeing the exercise counts. The exercise count keeps me exercising.

Here's to a new month chickies. :carrot: We will get better and better at this as we go KOKO.

Have a great day!!!!

moonkissed 07-01-2014 11:08 AM

Well I called my doctor this morning and found out what my A1C was...8.9. Better than the 11 when I was first diagnosed lol so it wasn't as bad as I thought but still oh so not great. Also though I wasn't fasting for the test like I usually do as I didn't realize the doctor was going to do the blood themselves. IDK how much of a difference that makes since they usually make me fast.

My FBS was 162 this morning. I haven't been testing at night so I really need to do that. It was super weird this morning I tried lowering the lancet to 3 instead of 4 and I got no blood at all...zero...nada. I don't even know how that is possible. So I upped it to 4 and barely got enough blood to test. So weird.

On the positive side I took a walk this morning! Just a mile & i am slower then a snail riding a turtle but still I am moving!

Happy July everyone!!

Shannonsnail 07-01-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonkissed (Post 5033309)
Well I called my doctor this morning and found out what my A1C was...8.9. Better than the 11 when I was first diagnosed lol so it wasn't as bad as I thought but still oh so not great. Also though I wasn't fasting for the test like I usually do as I didn't realize the doctor was going to do the blood themselves. IDK how much of a difference that makes since they usually make me fast.

My FBS was 162 this morning. I haven't been testing at night so I really need to do that. It was super weird this morning I tried lowering the lancet to 3 instead of 4 and I got no blood at all...zero...nada. I don't even know how that is possible. So I upped it to 4 and barely got enough blood to test. So weird.

On the positive side I took a walk this morning! Just a mile & i am slower then a snail riding a turtle but still I am moving!

Happy July everyone!!

Fasting does not affect the A1c value since it shows glucose control over a three month period, it does affect individual glucose readings which are more of a snapshot at a specific moment.

On my lancet 3 sometimes does not work too. One day I think it took 5 tries!! I just bought a different gauge box of needles, hoping that makes a difference.

Shannonsnail 07-01-2014 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would share this today :-)

Wannabehealthy 07-01-2014 12:51 PM

OMG Shannon! You got them on! Congratulations! Lately, I have had some painful swelling in the knuckles of one thumb and one finger and I was afraid if my ring finger swelled I would have to get my rings cut off so I took them off. When we were going out on Friday I was going to wear them and couldn't get them back on, even though that finger is not swollen. I know as I lose a bit more I will get them back over that knuckle. I think the joints are hurting because of the psoriasis flare...psoriatic arthritis.

Yesterday I wore my Fitbit and totaled 3,121 steps. LOL Guess I better start moving more. Today, I went for my bloodwork, went for breakfast, went to Kohls then to Goodwill, then to Aldis. All with my Fitbit sitting at home on the dresser! I forgot to wear it. Since my bloodwork was over, I bought myself a box of celebratory fudgecicles. I hesitated because they were 13 carbs and 12 gm sugar, but I figured it's AFTER my bloodwork and it's not something I do on a regular basis. I could have bought the sugar-free but then DH wouldn't eat them. I think there are a lot worse things I could be eating.

Moonkissed
, that's great that you went for a walk. Don't worry about how far or how fast....you were moving. As time goes on you will be able to increase your distance and your speed. Remember the story of the Tortice and the Hare.

You dropped your A1c 3 points. Next time it will be even better. You can do this! If Rennie and I can do it, you can too!

Trish, we haven't been to KFC for ages. DH prefers boneless skinless chicken breasts and I prefer roasted over fried. When DH wants Long John Silvers I get the chicken strips as I like them better than the fish.

I hadn't been on the scale for a week and I got on this morning to a nice surprise. I am back down to 193. Before I was stuck at 194, now it's 193. But I will keep on keeping on. I have 1 week until my doctor appt and I would love to be 189 by then. That is my next short term goal. Maybe if I really watch my portions I can do it.

Wannabehealthy 07-01-2014 01:15 PM

Shannon, I just went back and read the rest of the June chat. I'm so sorry to hear about the house...it sounded perfect! But try to be positive. There might have been a reason for all this. Also, the other contract might fall through. I don't mean to get your hopes up, but it happens on House Hunters all the time! LOL

moonkissed 07-01-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannonsnail (Post 5033336)
Fasting does not affect the A1c value since it shows glucose control over a three month period, it does affect individual glucose readings which are more of a snapshot at a specific moment.

On my lancet 3 sometimes does not work too. One day I think it took 5 tries!! I just bought a different gauge box of needles, hoping that makes a difference.

ahh ok thanks :) I wasn't sure.

Congrats btw! That is fantastic. The other day I needed to take my ring off and really struggled to get it back on it broke my heart.

Wannabehealthy well actually that 11 was in 2009 & i had it all the way down to 5.9 after that :( So I am back up.

lol @ the forgetting the fitbit. This morning I used the mapmyrun app on my phone and the gps wasn't working right so it didnt track the distance. Luckily I knew where I walked so just came home and did it manually lol

Congrats on 193 & goodluck hitting 189!

pattygirl63 07-01-2014 02:25 PM

dgramie - So glad the biopsy is done and the dr believes it will come back good.

Shannon - Sorry about the house. I believe if you are supposed to have it that the other people will find something better or if it isn’t, God does have a better place for you. Sorry about all the bad things happening right now. I pray all will go well and the Lord will give you the strength to get through it all.

Moonkissed - I didn’t go to the doctor for about a year because of financial situation, when I went back my A1c was 8.?. It is now down to 7.1 at my last testing a month ago with just diet, exercise and Metformin. As for the lancets, I’ve done the same thing that Shannon did. I bought a different size... the bluegreen ones from Walmart. You are back on track and you will do fine this time. We all have to go through learning to accept the fact that we must cope with this situation if we want to be healthy and live a long life. I think that I have finally got that in my head. LOL. At least I hope so.

Carol Sue I have decided that there are some foods that I want to include in my eating plan and I do not want to use some of the sweetners that are offered and since I’m not a big sugar eater, I am not going to worry about some of the sugar in the choices I make. I think some things have more to do with portion control. Of course, time will show if I’m right.

Rennie :wave: Hope you are having a good day.

Had lunch all planned and DH decided he wants something else. So have to change my plan, but it will be healthy and okay. I’ll just add a salad and have what I had planned for today tomorrow.

BBL

Wannabehealthy 07-01-2014 03:03 PM

I have used Fitday for years, but the Fitbit syncs with MFP so I decided to try it out. I guess it takes some getting used to. I know that several of you already use it so maybe you can help me out. I want to find a way to add my own recipes to it. For example, I'm making chili tonight. I saw there was a lot of listings for chili con carne with beans, but there was no way to know if their calculations were equal to my recipe. So I went to Fitday where I know how to enter all the ingredients and then divide to find out the counts for 1 cup. Is there a way I can do that on MFP? I saw where I can enter the recipe and the ingredients, but does it give the counts for each ingredient as you go along? I saw where some other people entered their own chili with a total calories per cup, but no values for fat, fiber, carbs, protein etc.

Trish, I don't use many things that are low fat or artificially sweetened. I do drink Diet Coke and when I make jello for myself I use sugar free, but I don't make that very often. When I was in the hospital the dietician told me that I could eat regular pudding because a serving of that had 15 grm of carb. This is their way of thinking, but I avoid as much sugar as I can, but I would rather just pass on pudding altogether. They gave me that because all I was getting at that time was jello and pudding on a soft food diet. Not my choice, but when that's all their giving you, you eat it. LOL

love2b150 07-01-2014 03:11 PM

Wow I hadn't updated the paid and missed a whole lot, gotta get to reading before you all get too far ahead of me ;)

Trish I like MFP but I think the count is off. I adjusted the carbs and protein to be what I want but I do think the calories should be higher. It has me at 1338. I mainly pay attention to my carb intake more than anything.

moonkissed, glad your A1c has gone done and wasn't as high as you thought. I use the same finger every day and I think the skin starts to toughen up after awhile. My lancing device is on 2. moonkissed when I first started walking I could barely walk 20 minutes and I sure couldn't do a mile :bravo: to you my friend :) Carol Sue is right you can do this, ha you're doing it, every little bit helps. We're proof :)

Carol Sue, sorry about the flare up, hope the swelling goes down soon :hug: Don't you just hate that when you forget your tracker. Put it near your keys or in the bathroom. I have a pedometer that I wear now and I keep it on the bathroom sink. That's where I go first and start my day so I can snap it on. Good job on your steps, just imagine if you had it on you would have done amazing. I did my best amount of steps yesterday. I just walked in the house at a steady pace for 35 minutes and it helped with my weigh in I think. The kids thought it was funny me walking from the front door to and through the kitchen but they don't know like I know, yet ;). I love fudgecicles sugar free or regular, yum :) Carol Sue I love that story :) You can do this I have full faith that you are gonna watch those portions and surprise you and your doctor :) Carol Sue go to the FOOD tab, then on the dark blue tab click recipe, go to the right of the screen to add your recipe manually, you type in the full ingredient title name/item and compare it to make sure it's the right one. It's tedious in the beginning but you do get use to it.

Shannon that's so true, the other contract might fall through, it happens on House Hunters all the time! and also like Carol Sue and Trish said everything happens for a reason but I love the house just on what you've said :)

weight down 1.2 back to the 150's, 159.4, fbs was 115. Not a bad start of the month at all. My son and I have decided to do a 15lb challenge till Sept 1st. He told me he reached a new low today of 242.6 so he is coming down nicely with football. His goal is 227 and mine is 144. Our first weigh in is Monday. I need to lose 1.5lbs a week to make goal :)

pattygirl63 07-01-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5033484)
I have used Fitday for years, but the Fitbit syncs with MFP so I decided to try it out. I guess it takes some getting used to. I know that several of you already use it so maybe you can help me out. I want to find a way to add my own recipes to it. For example, I'm making chili tonight. I saw there was a lot of listings for chili con carne with beans, but there was no way to know if their calculations were equal to my recipe. So I went to Fitday where I know how to enter all the ingredients and then divide to find out the counts for 1 cup. Is there a way I can do that on MFP? I saw where I can enter the recipe and the ingredients, but does it give the counts for each ingredient as you go along? I saw where some other people entered their own chili with a total calories per cup, but no values for fat, fiber, carbs, protein etc.

Trish, I don't use many things that are low fat or artificially sweetened. I do drink Diet Coke and when I make jello for myself I use sugar free, but I don't make that very often. When I was in the hospital the dietician told me that I could eat regular pudding because a serving of that had 15 grm of carb. This is their way of thinking, but I avoid as much sugar as I can, but I would rather just pass on pudding altogether. They gave me that because all I was getting at that time was jello and pudding on a soft food diet. Not my choice, but when that's all their giving you, you eat it. LOL

I'm sorry but I've never used the recipe builder. I have figured my own calories and put the count into it like those you mentioned.

Wannabehealthy 07-01-2014 05:08 PM

How does MFP figure out your calories. It has me at over 1400!!

Rennie, my husband keeps telling me I'm going to lose the Fitbit. I have the One that is clip-on and he wanted me to get the one you wear on your wrist. I read a lot of reviews of people who said they lost theirs, when they were walking or running outside, which I never do, but I am wearing it all day so I do have it when I go out somewhere. I have it in my pocket. It's really tiny. It shows than you can keep it in your pocket or clipped onto your pocket, clipped onto your waistband or clipped on your bra. I can't lose it or my husband will never let me live it down! LOL

It also shows when you do stairs. So far, it hasn't shown when I go down stairs, but it showed I went up one time, but didn't register the second time. Because of my bad knee I go up and down stairs one step at a time so maybe that's why it's not registering.

love2b150 07-01-2014 05:24 PM

Carol Sue I forget how it figures your calories, I think it's according to your activity level. Go to My Home tab and click on Goals, I think you enter your information there. Is 1400 too high? You know as you lose weight your calories will go down so that could be it, plus your height is a factor I think, :shrug: I have an additional make shift hook thing I made for my pedometer so that when it slips up/off (like when I go to the bathroom) it will just hang not drop and be gone forever. I where sweats in the house (no pockets and I don't know that this is as fancy as the fitbit, probably not) it probably wouldn't register anything in a pocket. I so want a fitbit :) I am quick to lose things also. I'm gonna do my walk in here again. My son wants to go to the gym but I just don't feel like driving any where. I'm gonna walk up and down the stairs and see what this does. I never thought about it, thanks :)

Carol Sue, my pedometer counts steps going up also but not down.

love2b150 07-01-2014 09:21 PM

Cereal Killer - The Movie free until 7/4

have you all seen this ... I saw it posted on another thread. Haven't watched it yet but did read what's on the page. It's free until Friday 7/4

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ers-movie.aspx

Shannonsnail 07-01-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2b150 (Post 5033689)
have you all seen this ... I saw it posted on another thread. Haven't watched it yet but did read what's on the page. It's free until Friday 7/4

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ers-movie.aspx

Someone posted it in my low carb group and I watched a little, Fathead (similar documentary) was very funny and easy to watch, I was having a hard time getting into this one for some reason.

Wannabehealthy 07-02-2014 07:39 AM

I lost my post twice. :(

Rennie, I figured out the calories on MFP. I have it set to lose 1 lb per week. I want to lose more, but I'm trying to be realistic. If I had it set for more it would probably allow fewer calories to reach that deficit. Also, I agree that as I lose weight I will be allowed fewer calories. That's so unfair! You do all that work to lose weight and you are rewarded by a reduced calorie allowance. :?:

The Fitbit resets back to 0 at midnight, but saves your data until you sync it into your account on the computer. That's cool. I think the calorie count it shows includes the calories you burn just by living and breathing, because the first day when I had 3.121 steps, it showed that I burned 1,700 calories. This morning when I picked it up from the dresser it had set back to 0 on steps and stairs but already showed 323 calories burned. Now I'm showing 17 steps because all I did was go to the bathroom and log onto the computer, but it shows 455 calories.

I would like to go back to sleep but I want to go to WalMart before it gets crowded.

I saved that video to watch later and I am also going to search for Fathead.

I have to figure out how the Fitbit syncs with MFP.

dgramie 07-02-2014 08:00 AM

Fbs was 113 today. I haven't walked this week and plan to today if I feel up to it. I'm just a bit sore. I plan to do a bit more around the house today. I don't like just sitting around.

Wannabehealthy 07-02-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgramie (Post 5033883)
Fbs was 113 today. I haven't walked this week and plan to today if I feel up to it. I'm just a bit sore. I plan to do a bit more around the house today. I don't like just sitting around.

dgramie, that's part of my problem. I LOVE just sitting around and could do it all day! I hope the Fitbit will change that!

moonkissed 07-02-2014 08:46 AM

Good morning ladies :)

I tested my BS before bed last night & it was 131 (the lowest I have tested it at so far) then this morning my FBS was 144. I think I realized why my morning numbers are higher is that the abilify I am on. The doctor said it could raise my BS & i take it at night before bed. So I am going to say mystery solved lol. I will keep testing to make sure it isn't getting too much higher.

I am struggling a bit because I don't feel like I am eating horrible & I think my numbers should be way lower. Like last night for dinner I ate eggs with onions and bacon. That is like no carbs so why was my BS 131 at night? That was 3-4 hours after I had eaten anything. For lunch I had a salad that was only 16 carbs and I did have grapes for an after lunch snack which I know are not the best fruit choice. It is just frustrating.

Anyways I am about to head out for a walk. Have a great day!

Shannonsnail 07-02-2014 09:21 AM

FBS 105 today and weight down a tad. I am super backed up! I don't think I've ever been so eager to go to the bathroom! I feel like I'll be at 178 if I ever go, LOL! Making an appt for this afternoon to see more houses, just Olivia and I will go. My heart is not really in it. These are close to but not as big and on average $40K more. I'm still just sick over the other house.

I did watch a little more of Cereal Killers last night...I think the accents distract me, lol!

love2b150 07-02-2014 10:19 AM

Shannon what caught my eye is the part the said "If we could get all diabetics to eat a high-fat, high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, we would cut the insulin requirement so dramatically that it's been estimated that six pharmaceutical companies would go out of business tomorrow." Contrary to popular belief, you do not get fat from eating fat. You get fat from eating too much sugar and grains. which is what we are all doing or trying to do. It great that we teach other what the experts won't. LOL on the accents :) Hope you get to GO soon :D Good luck with the houses :) and have your brother keep checking on the other, if they don't put up a sign under contract, make your offer :)

Carol Sue sorry about you losing your post, I hate that :( Did you get the recipe builder to work for you? I love that thing. I have so many recipes on there. Glad you got the calorie part figured out. I guess with losing weight it does make sense that you'll need to eat less again that's why I think I should be eating more. But in all honestly I get full from what I eat and it's still not a ton of calories with me not eating high carb foods :shrug: The Omron pedometer sets back at midnight also. But it doesn't save anything so I have to write down my steps and calories at night before I forget :dizzy: That's interesting that it would have that many calories burned just sitting on the dresser and 0 movement, humm!! I'll bet you have a nice count today walking around in Walmart.

dgramie, hope the soreness goes away soon :hug:

moonkissed, frustrating it is :hug:

Trish where are you? :hug:

fbs 117 staying in the teens, I won't complain weight down a little :)

Shannonsnail 07-02-2014 10:38 AM

Rennie, I essentially worked for pharma companies for the last 12 years before I quit working. I have a great deal of respect for them. However, they are a business and they are in it to make money. Having people get healthy through diet doesn't really make them any money and it doesn't keep doctors and surgeons busy either. I see diabetics on my low carb forum everyday telling how they are off medicine now or at least off insulin. I completely agree with that statement in the movie. This is why I eat high fat now. In a few more months I'm planning to experiment with my own self and go off my statin to see what my labs are. I wouldn't do that if I didn't believe. I fought hard with multiple doctors to get on statins. No one wanted to hear about my lipoproteins bc my cholesterol was just barely above normal. I was working at LipoScience testing myself regularly and our medical director was telling me to keep fighting with them when he would review my results. So, to purposely go off it shows my faith in what I am doing.

I came back by bc I forgot to tell ya'll that I checked my measurements and I've lost another 1/2 in off my waist, 1.5 in off hips, 1/2 in off chest and 1/2 in off thighs since last month. Woohoo! I had been feeling like my butt is missing....I mean I never thought I had a super big butt but lately it just seemed like there was a big difference! I've lost 4 in off my hips, 4.5 in off waist, 2 in off chest, 2.5 in off bra band area and 2 in off thighs (total). Those totals are since end of last year.

Olivia is bouncing all over the house....bc we have to move her carseat to ride in the agent's car we decided to try out her booster for the first time today bc it is easier to move back and forth by myself. She is so excited!

love2b150 07-02-2014 10:47 AM

Well Shannon regarding all aspects of your post :woohoo: sums it up ... Keep up the great work :) ... PS I have no behind at all and the more weight I lose the flatter it gets, LOL along with the boobs. Call me shapeless ;)

pattygirl63 07-02-2014 11:09 AM

Rennie Thanks for the link. I'll listen to it later. I did make a copy of the article below it by Dr. Mercola. Going to read that today. I will also look up Fathead.

Last night DH and I were eating junk and he said, "Why am I so hungry? I never eat two of these in a day." I had just made the same statement to myself as it was like I was starving since I came home. When I saw the link Rennie shared, I knew the problem. I had stopped the CO before my trip because I didn't want potty issues on the trip. I had not put it back in my diet when I got home. As a result, I've been craving everything in the world to eat. I don't usually eat at night and I was eating and feeling stuffed (hate that feeling) before going to bed. My fbs was 131 this morning and weight is stuck at 223.8 (thank God it isn't higher) and I know it is the bad habits I'm forming since I got home and I am just as sure it is JUST because I'm not getting the Healthy Oils I was eating before I left for my trip.

I have worked too hard and come too far to have such good results since Christmas to ruin it now by stupid mistakes. I am determined to get this all corrected and to keep losing weight and bringing my fbs down to normal. My goal is to be healthy thin. And I am determined to make it happen.

Carol Sue Sorry you lost your post. I get so mad when that happens to me. The exercise is the thing I've really having to deal with right now. I've done my bike one time this week, however, DH and I have done some store walking this week, but I know I need to do the bike more. I am having my beautician over for 4th cookout, so hopefully with the housework to get ready will be lots of exercise too.

Shannon Congratulations on the inches off. You are doing great. Strange how those inches help. I know I put on a blouse last night to run errand with DH and it was too tight. Besides feeling bloated to start with, that really showed me that I needed to get things back to my normal eating of more low. They do make a difference. I need to measure again because I know I'm basically starting low carb over.

Moonkissed Good progress is knowing why our readings are up. I learned from testing that while some diabetics need an evening snack before bed, I do not. If my bedtime reading is a little high, fbs is always a little higher the next morning. Some people can drink a little red wine before bed to lower fbs the next morning, but not me. It is all learning your own body and how it works. You are on the right track and will do fine.

dgramie Your fbs is doing good.

Running late on everything this morning as I slept an hour longer today. So will get busy. I have my food plan for today if DH doesn't screw it up again.
But I will make better choices today. I want to listen to the link today too. May have DH watch it with me.

Y'all have a good day.

Wannabehealthy 07-02-2014 11:13 AM

My butt is also somewhat flat...no hips or thighs to speak of either. But boy the belly I have! If I buy pants that fit my waist I need at least an 18 and then they are soooo baggy in the butt and thighs. That's why I look for elastic waist pants. I consider them old lady pants. I don't know what I think I am at 68 years old, but I don't feel like an old lady! LOL

Rennie, we didn't walk around Walmart all that much. Just went in and bought what we needed and left. And DH wanted to go out for breakfast so there went all the calories I burned!! I know I am relaxing a bit because I already had my labs done and I should NOT be doing that.

As far as burning the calories while sitting on my dresser, it set back to zero at midnight. I got up around 6 or 7, so my body was burning calories for 6 or 7 hours. Just not near what I burn when I'm up moving around. That's how I know it's calculating all the calories for 24 hours. You body burns calories just being alive.

love2b150 07-02-2014 11:34 AM

Trish good for you :) determination is key on this journey. We have definitely got to want it bad enough to keep going. When we become complacent is when we fall. Great head space :)

Well Carol Sue the calories burned helped the breakfast :) I hope :) I have a great pouch in the front also, I call it my Mommy flap, wish I could move it to the back ;)

Wannabehealthy 07-02-2014 11:39 AM

Rennie, either move the pouch to the back or wear your pants backwards! LOL

Shannon, I wanted to make your cauliflower casserole with the cauliflower I have left but I bought the wrong cheese. I bought Gruyere instead of Gouda, but I'm going to use it anyway. $4 for a little tiny piece...I'm not wasting it! LOL I'll let you know how it tastes.

love2b150 07-02-2014 11:47 AM

Carol Sue that really made me Laugh Out Loud ... thanks for the chuckle :D

dgramie 07-02-2014 09:55 PM

Just a fly by tonight to share the news. I do not have Barrett's esphogus! Just really bad Gerds. Also my breast biopsy was normal. No cancer!! Words can not express how relieved I am!!

pattygirl63 07-03-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgramie (Post 5034401)
Just a fly by tonight to share the news. I do not have Barrett's esphogus! Just really bad Gerds. Also my breast biopsy was normal. No cancer!! Words can not express how relieved I am!!

Great news. Very happy for you Dgramie.:hug::)

Wannabehealthy 07-03-2014 06:59 AM

Dgramie, that's great news all the way around! I have a hiatal hernia and I used to have gerd symptoms but I quit eating late at night and eating fatty foods and I never get it anymore. I used to pop Pepcid like it was candy. I still have the hiatal hernia but it doesn't bother me unless that's why I have my chronic cough.

Rennie, this morning when I got up my Fitbit said 321 calories burned again. I am going to have to check it if I wake up in the middle of the night and see what it says. I think it calculates your estimated calories burned based on your age, weight, and activity level, which you enter into your online account when you set it up. I always list my activity level as low because I'm not exercising that much right now.

I have decided to cut back on my calories. Although I am eating healthy most of the time I am not losing as I should be. I have always been one who believed you should never go below 1200 calories but I am going to change my attitute about that. I know that lots of people do it, and they are probably the ones who are losing weight while I'm totally stalled!

Moonkissed, I know how you feel when you think you are eating right but your BS numbers are still high. It's possible that you are so insulin resistant that even carbs you ate earlier in the day are effecting your readings at night. Plus, it takes a while for the numbers to come down when you have been running high for a while. Try to cut out as much starchy carbs as you can...sweets, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta....even whole grain bread or sweet potatoes. Let your body get your glucose down, and then start to add small amounts of carbs until you start to see rises in your glucose, which tell you you are eating too much. Don't let yourself get too hungry...fill up on lots of vegetables. They are low calories and low carb, and the fiber in them helps lower glucose, too. Stay away from fruit for now if you can. Even though they are healthy, the sugar in them can raise your glucose. You can do this! Try testing before your meal, and then testing 2 hours later to see how the food you ate effected your glucose. It's possible that your glucose was already up before you ate your low carb dinner. All this testing can get annoying, but it's the best way to figure what and how much to eat. Once you get things under control and know what you can eat you won't have to test so much.

dgramie 07-03-2014 08:01 AM

Fbs was 106. I slept like a baby.
I am not a night time snacker. My Gerds would start out early in the day. I think my coffee triggered it. I have not had coffee in a wk and I can tell it's so much better.
I know losing weight will help more than anything else. I am on Prilosec twice a day for now. I plan to work extra hard to get the weight off.

Wannabehealthy 07-03-2014 08:27 AM

Yes, I notice that coffee agrevates it. I usually only drink coffee when I first get up and sometimes not at all. Another thing that's bad is chocolate and before I was diagnosed with diabetes I ate an unbelievable amount of chocolate.

pattygirl63 07-03-2014 09:54 AM

Just a quick flyby. Busy day today. DH and I are going to Sam's today to try and find some good steaks to grill tomorrow. My beautician, who is becoming a close friend, is coming tomorrow for a cookout and to visit with us. We are planning some carby foods, but I'm throwing some healthy stuff too. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker and I am going to make strawberry ice cream to go with the strawberry dessert she is bringing. Strange thing is that I lost my instructions for my ice cream maker so I had to go on line to find them. I didn't remember that I can also make yogurt with this one. I found loads of recipes on the Cuisinart website so I may eventually look into making my own yogurt. I know I still have my book that came with it around here somewhere as I never throw that kind of stuff away... I just have to find it.

I read the article about the movie that Rennie shared. I just may purchase the movie as I know I would never get DH to read the article. However, Flat Head made it easier to understand. You know it really is making me wonder if I don't worry about "dieting" too much. I went 2 weeks eating intuitively not worrying about "is this on my diet" etc and I lost 2.8 lbs. I've come back home and trying to get back on "diet" and I've gained weight and my fbs has gone up. I'm going to be re-thinking this. So I just may get the movie to see what it has to say.

Any way got to get busy. Y'all have a good day. I see this new storm is headed up our east coast. Hope everyone stays safe.

BBL

Shannonsnail 07-03-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgramie (Post 5034401)

That is great news! I have horrific GERD and have taken Prilosec two pills per day for years now. I am hoping at some point I can cut back. I have noticed since changing to low carb I never have heartburn (even with prilosec) requring tums before bed which used to be a regular event. At some point I want to try one pill per day and see how I feel.

Wannabehealthy 07-03-2014 11:55 AM

Trish, I agree that maybe you are doing too much thinking about your diet.

I don't eat steak very much so usually DH only gets steak when we eat out so I can order something else. I like grilled fish and DH doesn't like that. Today I bought 3 steaks to put in the freezer so when I want to make grilled fish for myself DH can have a steak. I got those 3 steaks for the same price he pays for 1 in Texas Roadhouse. Tomorrow we are having hot dogs and hamburgers, baked beans, corn on the cob and potato salad. I will eat my meat without buns and try to go lightly with the other things, but I won't worry about it much. I asked DH if he wanted me to make cookies and he said no. We don't usually have dessert, but there's ice cream here if he wants it.

This morning I took some extra time checking over my Fitbit account online and I was pleasantly surprised to see what all it has. It has a place to enter your foods, but I'm not sure how to do it or how extensive their food list is. It will compare your calories in to your calories burned as recorded on the Fitbit. You can enter your glucose readings 3 times a day, your A1c when you get it checked, your blood pressure every day. It automatically enters your activity from your Fitbit, plus you can enter additional activity. I don't understand that, because unless you don't wear your Fitbit, the activity on it should be all your activity. I know that swimming would have to be entered seperately because the Fitbit One cannot be worn in water. I guess that's why it has that.

This morning we stopped at the shopping center so I could go to the tanning salon. I walked all the way down to the salon before I realized it didn't open until 10 and it was 9:50. I could see DH going into the grocery store to get the corn, way down at the other end of the center. I could not get into the car because I didn't have my keys, and I couldn't call him because my phone was in the car. So I walked down to the store, which is about 2 blocks. Just as I went into the in door I looked over and saw him going out the out door. When someone else came in, I slipped back out and he was already walking up toward the car, so I yelled to him and we walked up together. It was uphill a bit, so it was harder than going downhill. Instead of complaining, I realized that was putting some more activity onto my Fitbit. That kind of thinking is going to make me move more so I will accumulate more steps. I am liking this Fitbit more than I thought I would.

Here I go getting all chatty again! LOL

Wannabehealthy 07-03-2014 12:26 PM

Back again! Shannon, I wanted to let your know that my cauliflower casserole with the Guyere cheese turned out fabulous! I loved the taste. DH wouldn't even try it. He said it was too mushy, but it really wasn't. We like our cauliflower and broccoli well cooked, not crunchy. It was soft, but was still in the form of flowerettes. I don't think he liked the idea that it had cream cheese in it because he says he doesn't like cream cheese, but he never seems to have a problem with cheesecake! LOL Next time I will have to remind him that he's eating cream cheese. I don't think I will make the casserole again if I have to eat it all myself, but I would definately make it for a dinner when the whole family is over and might even try it with the Gouda. I thought the Guyere was expensive at $8.99 per pound but I saw the Gouda today at $9.99!!!

Shannonsnail 07-03-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5034772)
Back again! Shannon, I wanted to let your know that my cauliflower casserole with the Guyere cheese turned out fabulous! I loved the taste. DH wouldn't even try it. He said it was too mushy, but it really wasn't. We like our cauliflower and broccoli well cooked, not crunchy. It was soft, but was still in the form of flowerettes. I don't think he liked the idea that it had cream cheese in it because he says he doesn't like cream cheese, but he never seems to have a problem with cheesecake! LOL Next time I will have to remind him that he's eating cream cheese. I don't think I will make the casserole again if I have to eat it all myself, but I would definately make it for a dinner when the whole family is over and might even try it with the Gouda. I thought the Guyere was expensive at $8.99 per pound but I saw the Gouda today at $9.99!!!

Glad you enjoyed it! I get my gouda at Aldi. They sell it in 4-5 oz pkgs that are perfect. I can't recall how much they were. It is pricey though, I agree. With not purchasing as much junk food, milk (hubby agreed to cut back), bread, etc I seem to be able to afford the things I need for low carb without it making any large dents so far. Last night I was able to pick up a bunch of squash and cukes from my brother's overflowing garden! There is a girl in my low carb group growing cauliflower!!

Shannonsnail 07-03-2014 01:37 PM

FBS 114 today, elevated for me. Not surprising though, my evening was way off plan with eating dinner out of town and coming home to find hubby saved me his egg roll. I love egg rolls!

I have been busy in the kitchen today. Picked up a marked down roast and got it in the crock for mexican shredded beef that I plan to freeze for later use. Just washed up a ton of strawberries and blueberries so I could get the original containers out of the fridge. My cousin's son is going to stay with us from Friday to probably Tuesday. Her dad is having triple bypass so she needs to be with her mom at the hospital. She lives in SC and her dad is here in NC. Her son's dad, her ex husband, is well, awful, so she didn't want him spending any extra time there so I offered. Our house has no guest room so this will be interesting. I am cleaning and trying to empty the fridge so I can go grocery shopping. Leftovers and produce need dealing with. Our house, as usual, is a disaster. Too much stuff, not enough places to put it.

Saw 8 houses yesterday, 3-4 were nice but about $60K more than our house (we are trying to stay within about $25K of ours). Still just sick over the perfect house :-( the only good to come out of this is that hubby and I both are no longer willing to settle for less than perfect (for us).