Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Have been able to get back on track without too much of a problem.
After Sunday, I made sure to make some food for me for the next few days. DId a broccoli and chicken stir fry with sechuan peanut sauce, and some of my nut cake for "toast" for breakfasts.
It was a really busy weekend, with some sleep loss, so sticking to plan is harder then, so I am pleased to only have had one off day out of that.
Carol Sue: I hope this works for you, Sounds like intuitive eating. Along with sticking to plan I have reduced portions successfully and am quite happy with results.
Off we go together, may the pounds melt away.
You seem to be doing very well, Mad. Being able to get back on track is important no matter what plan you follow. Sometimes falling off the wagon can go on and on for weeks.

It sounds like you have a busy life, and that can effect you different ways. Either you can be too busy to think about food, or you're too busy to plan your meals and you tend to grab what's there. Preparing dishes in advance the way you do is a good idea.

I guess I was doing intuitive eating before I even heard of it. That's the way I lost weight the first time years ago before I even knew how to diet, but just cutting back on everything. I am doing what I did when I quit smoking. I went cold turkey. Every time I wanted a cigarette, and it seemed like that was every 15 minutes, I just told myself NO! and did something else. Eventually, I didn't even think about it. I am doing that with food. Most of my eating is just picking at things because they are there. I just tell myself "NO!" and move on. I am not fasting. I know I am eating enough healthy food at my meals to give my body what it needs, all the while, being concious of starchy carbs because of my diabetes. I just need to put on my big girl pants and be in charge!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-22-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #92  

I just got a notification from the library that my last book is ready for pick-up. It is written by Michelle May, who wrote Am I Hungry and Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat. This new book is Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Diabetics. I am really curious to see what she has to say. With the other books I read, there was information that I didn't feel apply to me, but the information I did get is helping me tremendously. It has been 4 days and I have never eaten beyond being satisfied. I have said NO to impulse eating most times and hope to become stronger with this as time goes on. I feel so much better now that I don't feel stuffed. This has always been my problem and I feel that the longer I'm able to maintain this, the more it will become a lifestyle change that has been a long time coming. I have not been on the scale since I started this. I know that it's possible that I have not lost and I don't want that to discourage me. Once this behavior becomes second nature, I will concentrate more on losing weight. Right now, I am concentrating on changing the eating habits. The only starchy carbs I have had these 4 days has been the double fiber bread. I think the starchy carbs contributed to the stuffed feeling, as well.

I know it isn't much, but this is the biggest change I have been able to sustain in a very long time, and I'm extremely happy about it. I just want to do it for today, I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

I was on the verge of calling my DR and requesting more diabetes meds, but now I am going to take a "wait and see" attitude and see if these dietary changes make a difference. It seems that once they get you on those meds they never want to let you get off them.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #93  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol sue, thanks for your support. Definitely seem to be doing better this time. Weight is static right now. I would really like to be down more for my 52nd birthday in November.
Stayed on plan nicely today. No bread with my cabbage rolls at lunch, and DH made a nice pot roast for supper. Will keep on tomorrow

Have a good night friends.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #94  

Quote:
Carol sue, thanks for your support. Definitely seem to be doing better this time. Weight is static right now. I would really like to be down more for my 52nd birthday in November.
Stayed on plan nicely today. No bread with my cabbage rolls at lunch, and DH made a nice pot roast for supper. Will keep on tomorrow

Have a good night friends.
Mad, every day that you keep the carbs under control you are one day closer to changing the behavior. That is our goal. Keep telling yourself that every time you are tempted to eat the bread. I hope you lose a few pounds in time for your birthday. It will make you feel happier. But just remember, even if you don't, by keeping the carbs under control you will be healthier!

Yesterday I made a new banana bread recipe. I normally don't eat sweets and I never crave them, but since this was a new recipe that was highly recommended to me, I wanted to taste it, so I ate a slice. I don't consider this as "falling off the wagon" because it was intentional, for a reason, and controlled. I did not have any other carbs yesterday because I knew I had had the banana bread. By the way, it was delicious! My husband has to have some sort of baked goods in the house every day and I do bake for him, but I just thank God that it's so easy for me to resist.

My food issue has always been second helpings, not junk food. It feels so good to know what the problem is and that it is within my control to correct it.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing great on the CAD way of eating. My fbs was down to 151 this morning. Weight loss is going down slowly, bouncing, but that is me and actually the way CAD works so I gather this is why they have us weigh daily and average at the end of the week. WL may be slow, but that is okay as long as I'm getting healthier and the fbs and bp readings each day are really good.

I told y'all I was reading and learning info from another website. I decided since all of us who do some sort of low carb run into issues. I decided to share with y'all some of what I've read so maybe it can help y'all with some of the issues or problems you run into too. So this below are some things I thought would be helpful with some of the struggles you have had just as I have had. I am eating the RM once a day and my hour RM is almost always only 45 minutes. This might give you an idea of why your having stalls or why you have cravings even when you feel like you've done everything you think you are supposed to be thinking. Have a nice weekend everybody.

Below is a letter from Drs. Heller regarding the use of artificial
sweeteners (AS), read it carefully as it contains important information.
...We strongly advise not to use AS and want you to know
the reason for it.

This is a very important post that we want to get it into the hands
of all list members. Please read it through and understand how vital
we feel it is to your success and freedom. If, as you read this, our
words may seem a little harsh to you, please understand it is because
we care and we don't want anyone or anything to guide you down the
wrong path.

We want you to be able to trust that the information you find on the
list is as accurate as possible. Too often the truth gets distorted
and changed, often unintentionally, as it is repeated from one person
to another - a sort of carbohydrate addict's "telephone game" where
the message that was written in the book can be very different from
the one that is communicated. Sometimes we want to believe something
is true, even though it is not.

So please keep the following basic concept in mind; it is the very
reason why our programs work:

Our programs reduce the amount of insulin your body releases
throughout the day by reducing the number of times, each day, your
body takes in carbohydrate-rich foods and carbohydrate-act-alikes.

Carbohydrate-act-alikes include MSG, artificial sweeteners, and *all
foods or drinks that are perceived of by the body as tasting sweet or
containing carbohydrates.* Both carbohydrate-rich foods and
carbohydrate-act-alikes will cause a surge of insulin that, for
carbohydrate addicts, is often several times that of a non-addicted
person.

It is *not* the carbohydrate-rich foods that are the problem for the
carbohydrate addict but, rather, the inappropriately high surge of
insulin these foods cause too many times each day.

It is absolutely essential to understand that carbohydrate-act-alikes
cause the same insulin surge as do carbohydrate-rich foods. If you
include carbohydrate-act alikes in low-carbo meals, their effect can
be as destructive to your program as it would be to include
high-carbohydrate foods in these meals.

Many people will tell you that it is okay to eat
carbohydrate-act-alikes such as "protein powders,"
artificially-sweetened foods or beverages (including "low carbo"
pastries, cheesecakes, cookies and the like), or artificial
sweeteners - all at low-carbo meals. Some may try and convince these
foods are okay because they contain four or fewer carbohydrate grams
per average serving.

Our work with thousands of people has proven that consuming these
foods and beverages at low-carbo (CM) meals will almost surely to
lead to failure.

The failure may not come right away. You may not notice any real
change in cravings at first but changes may slowly and insidiously
creep into your thinking so that you begin to get more and more
sloppy with your program. You may be tempted to add "just a little"
cream or milk to a recipe (without giving up your coffee cream in its
place). Or you may linger over your coffee or have it with artificial
sweetener or have it more than once a day. Or you may find that your
weight loss has stalled and wonder why you have hit a "plateau." You
may become very lazy about checking labels or a little too excited
about another "no-sugar" or "low-carbohydrate" recipe. You may begin
to carbo drift more and more at your Reward Meal(R) and little by
little you will lose the integrity of your program. Soon you may not
even recognize that you are no longer on your program and you will
wonder why it doesn't seem to work as well any more.

Sadly, now, the one program that may have offered you freedom and
success for life will have been lost because of false promises that
once again have lured you into spending your money to feed your
addiction.

Don't believe the Protein Powder Promise. Flavored powders, coffees,
teas, artificially-sweetened foods, drinks, or such ingredients can
all cause your insulin to surge and, in the end, all of the wonderful
benefits of this program will be lost. And you will have traded away
your freedom for but another false promise of "having your cake and
dieting too."

Remember: If it tastes like a sweet to you, your body thinks its a
sweet too. If your body thinks its a sweet, it will release insulin.
There is no way around it. You simply can't eat sweet-tasting things
at low-carbo meals without releasing insulin and, sooner or later,
your cravings, your weight, and your addiction will engulf you once
again.

Recently, one of our readers wrote us a wonderful letter. "It's so
good to be back," she began, explaining that her journey into the
world of artificially-sweetened goodies had gradually pulled her off
her program and slowed her weight loss to the point where she thought
the program wasn't working anymore. Now, having removed these
carbohydrate-act-alikes from her low-carbo meals (we prefer you eat
naturally-sweetened foods to artificially-sweetened foods at Reward
Meals(R) as well) she had rediscovered her lack of cravings and an
easy and steady weight loss as well. Her new motto, she explained was
"Don't accept imitations," then she added, "If it is not real,
regular food, I stay away from it. The promises those foods offer
are as phony as their ingredients."

So don't count carbo grams* and don't look for magic goodies that
promise they won't add pounds or cause cravings because they are "low
carbo" or "sugar free." This program works when you eat real food
from the lists we have provided in our books. Earlier books contained
"allowable" foods that we discovered, over time, caused cravings or
slowed weight loss. Along with artificial sweeteners and foods with
MSG, we have removed these foods along with squash and zucchini (to
name a few) from our updated low-carbo lists. We will continue to
pass on any new changes as we test them but for the time being, if
you are in doubt, post your food question to the group or consult a
more recent book such as CAHHP.

Last thought: You will probably hear some CA's say that each CA
should find the right program for him/herself; that one size does not
fit all; that sensitivities differ. On one level that is absolutely
true but only within certain limitations. We have *never* worked with
a carbohydrate addict who could eat artificially sweetened pastries,
cookies, and drinks without showing telltale signs of insulin changes
that inevitably led to cravings or a weight-loss plateau (or weight
gain). In the end, they inevitably came face to face with losing
their program for good. They may tell you that they can eat these
foods without encountering any problems, but sooner or later, they
will face these difficulties though they may never tell you.

So don't be fooled by false promises. Haven't we been doing that all
our lives? If you have found a program that works for you, hold onto
it with both hands and don't let go.

Add... the original CAD came out in 1991. They continued to study it and hence the changes in the update version CALP which they published in 1997. They found that "some" people had insulin surges with the SF stuff and why they no longer recommend it for Carbohydrate Addicts (ie Insulin Resistant/ pre-diabetics). Just like with brocoli, caffeine, and some other foods, you may or may not get an insulin surge off of it, or over time develop IR to that item so you have to watch your symptoms: getting hungry, thinking about food or certain foods (carbs), getting sleepy after eating, getting hungry again shortly after eating, stalled weight loss or actual gain. These are all signs of surges of insulin and you need to keep track of what might have been the trigger.

Yes, you can eat up to 4 times a day if needed. You will have days (trust me) where you are totally not even hungry! Also, meals should be spaced out... do not end up "grazing" just because you can eat the 3 meals and a snack. I observe the 1 hour rule at all meals, and try to wait 2-4 hours between meals. Otherwise if you eat too close, you get the bigger surge of insulin. This diet has to do with being Insulin Resistant and minimizing insulin release. It is not about the calories, just tricking your body into releasing less insulin. You just hold back on carbs most of the day and can eat them later and it works!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #96  
Madeleine

weight up a bit after wine with supper last night, out with friends we haven't seen in ages, and DD came along, allowing her mother to buy her a steak dinner. assume it will be down again when the water goes out.
Today was good again.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #97  

Mad-I think you are doing good! Everyone has fluctuations on the scale. I read through the forum and also some other forums and even the strictest eaters have fluctuations and set backs. Some have even gained back larger quantities of weight. Some go for long periods of time without a loss and then all of a sudden they get a whoosh. It is never a steady downward trend for anyone. Look at the big picture. Overall, you are doing well!

I'm surprised that the wine made you gain. I rarely drink any alcohol, but recently have been thinking of having a small glass before bed because it is said to lower BG levels. I still might try it, but probably as a last resort. I usually only have a glass of wine in social settings, mostly a family holiday gathering. I don't want to break one habit just to add another.

Since you are still working, you have different temptations than I have. When I worked, I was always hitting the snack machine several times a day. I wore a lab coat with large pockets and always had a bag of chips, or Cheezit's, pretzels, and sometimes chocolate in my pocket and nibbled throughout the day. Amazingly, my FBS was running in the 120's and my A1c was 6.5. When I retired, I thought I would lose weight along with saving money because those foods are rarely in my house. Apparently I just changed what I snack on, because I continued to graze throughout the day, just on different things. Also, and this doesn't make sense, I was exercising less after I retired! I blame that on recovering from my surgeries. Because of all this, my FBS and A1c have risen to dangerous levels. I am now attempting to lower them.

Trish - Good to hear from you. The Hellers definately have a good plan. My problem was that I could not limit my RM to only dinner and they said the RM has to be the same meal every day. This past week I have been working on limiting my eating to meals only....no in between eating. I am learning to feel what hunger feels like instead of grazing throughout the day. I really believe that my problems stem more from my constant eating. Like you, my FBS that had been running around 200 are now down into the 150's. Also, not eating between meals is helping my BS drop between meals, when before, it never had a chance to go down. I am having success limiting my carbs, and I will say that this past week, they were always eaten at dinner. But it just worked out that way, it was not something I did intentionally and I am sure that the time will come when I eat the carbs at lunch instead of dinner. Sometimes I am not hungry at lunch time so I just skip it. But if there comes a day that I want a sandwich for lunch, I will eat it, and then have a carb free dinner.

I am eating whole foods...meat, fish, eggs, vegetables...very little processed food. I have never been one to use protein shakes or any other supplements because I don't want anything to interfere with all the meds I'm on. The only SF products I use are Halls SF Cough Drops, and there is no alternative.

I guess what I'm doing is a cross between CAD and IE. But it's more of a modified CAD, and if that's a bad thing, so be it. I know that you are a staunch supporter of this WOE and I respect that. I support you all the way in your effort. That's the purpose of posting on the forum, to support each other in whatever efforts we are making. Like you said "There is no One Size Fits All."

Rennie - Ruth - Where are you?

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #98  

Carol Sue I'm not doing CAD by the book either. I found on the other website that the people that are making it work for them they are doing Modified forms of CAD/CALP. Some do one meal a day, some 3, or some 3 and snacks. It seems the key is learning to make it work for each of us individually. I even read of one woman who was losing weight on 2 low carb meals and 2 RM a day. So this is definitely an individual thing of what works for each person.

I also love IE and IF. I've learned that I cannot eat anything after dinner and no nighttime eating/snacking. I eat breakfast when I am hungry for it and it is usually my favorite 2 eggs with cheese melted on them and 2 sl bacon. However, like today when I wasn't hungry I didn't eat it because I don't think I have to eat when I'm not hungry. I eat my RM usually around 2, but not worried if I decide to have it at dinnertime which I eat sometime between 5 and 7. But seldom ever after 7.

I've decided that I can read and learn from others, but I don't want to leave this thread. I think we all can help each other. We all learn from each other and maybe we can learn together how to make our individual plans work for us and share it so others can do the same.

We all know the benefits of low carb and we all seem to have a tendency to want to eat that way. However, there are times whether by choice or by situations beyond our control we end up eating carbs that are not considered low carb. But what if we could make them both work for us.

I remember reading Dana Carpendar's book "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds". She ate strict low carb, but on special /holidays of her choosing when she would decide to have a planned carby meal. Knowing her story and the Heller's story and scientific info and how people have made it work, I think we can take the best of them and make a livable plan that we can live with.

As diabetics we have to control our insulin surges so we can have normal fbs readings. I will use me as an example and how I plan to do this. Some foods/drinks cause me problems that don't bother y'all and vice versa.

I am going to be eating Intuitively, but I choose to do it mostly low carb except for those meals when I desire to have a RM which I would rather just call a carby meal. I don't like calling it a reward because I think that is making think of it as more than just a meal. There may be days that I don't want a carby meal and I'll have only a low carb a day. Therefore there are no off plan days. I am aware that maybe everyone cannot do that, but I honestly believe that it can and I can do it as a combination of IE/IF.

Fatmad and Ruth I'm wondering if doing your low carb eating the way Dana did wouldn't help you. It kind of takes away the guilt and helps you stay OP. Just a suggestion.

I'll let you know how this goes.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #99  
Madeleine

thanks trish, I haven't read the carpender book, though I have one of her cookbooks. May be helpful. Weight back down to 180 now as expected. Am sticking to plan ok without issues for now.

My biggest issue right now is motivating myself to move. Thinking about it, but that doesn't make exercise happen.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #100  

Quote:
thanks trish, I haven't read the carpender book, though I have one of her cookbooks. May be helpful. Weight back down to 180 now as expected. Am sticking to plan ok without issues for now.

My biggest issue right now is motivating myself to move. Thinking about it, but that doesn't make exercise happen.
I knew your weight would come back down. We know that weight fluctuates sometime, but it isn't easy all the time when it does. You are doing good getting back on plan. I didn't exercise much this past week and I know that is not wise. I really have to get back to it this coming week. I haven't felt like it and that is no excuse because I know the exercise makes me feel better.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #101  

I have found that exercise is a really big factor for my blood sugar. I guess I am more concerned about that right now than about my weight. I have lowered it some with my food plan, but when I exercise I see a big difference. I try to exercise while I'm watching my soaps. I'm going to be watching them anyway, so I have no excuse not to exercise, except sometimes I'm cooking and cleaning while watching them, rather than exercising. I really try not to just sit and watch them.

I read Dana Carpender's book, too, and I like it. I have read so many books. I also read so many forums, even some I never actually joined but just visit as a guest and just read. I like to hear different people's experiences rather than read a book. The information I get from other posters is more truth...anyone can write a book and they are just out to sell their book. Most people on forums are struggling the same as we are, trying to find what works for them. It's a kindred that can't be shared by those who have never had a problem with food and their weight.

I lost another pound and now I am back to my ticker weight. I am still doing well watching my carbs and not eating between meals. I was hungry by the time dinner time came around tonight, and I'm hungry again now, but it's 12:15AM and I'm going to bed.

Goodnight!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #102  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Plugging along. Weight is stuck at 190 but I know it'll drop when I focus on low carb. Just seem to need "comfort" food at the moment. Need to go for upper and lower GI check next week which will be sure to give me a "clean" start,
Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #103  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Sorry I haven't been here in a while I have been busy I have so much stress going on in my life it's not real. I hope things can get better well went to the dr the other day and now they added 3 more pills to my daily dose. I have to take Mobic for the aching in my knees twice a day and then Claritin everyday. I am feeling kind of depressed or I am jest feeling sorry for myself or something but I am jest in the dumps a lot lately. I hope that I can get out of this soon.
I hope every one is doing good . I pray everyday I have the will to get back into what I need to do but I jest cant seem to find it. I hope it isn't gone for a long time I so need to do something in my life. I am so sick of being fat! Well I better be going I have a sicken headache. today again.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #104  

Hi Ruth. Good to "see" you! I hope your testing comes out well, but if you're having issues that require this testing, something has to be causing it. I hope you get to the bottom of things. It's stressful to be having a problem and not knowing what's causing it.

Trish - If you read through the different forums, you will find very successful people on just about every eating plan, and also those for whom it isn't working. I think it has a lot to do with personal determination. Some people just count calories and exercise and the weight seems to fall off. My DIL and her neighbor have made amazing changes with WW. People with medical issues, such as us here who are dealing with diabetes, need to follow a plan that takes their medical condition into consideration. A low fat high carb plan would fail for us no matter how closely we followed it. We may lose some weight, but our blood sugar would be out of control and could cause a lot of problems. I read another diabetes forum on which most of the people eat zero carbs. They have very tight control on their bs, but I don't think I could do that unless I get to the point that absolutely nothing else works. I don't think there's a doctor or nutritionist who would recommend that.

This morning I had a tasty breakfast that I heard about on another board. I put a 1/2 inch slice of avacado in the fry pan to saute, turned it over and broke an egg into the hole, then covered it until the egg was done. The yolk goes into the hole and the whites run out into the pan. This is the second time I've made it and it's a nice change from just scrambled eggs, a taste of avacado with each bite of egg. The rest of the avacado I mashed up and made some guacomole that I will eat with my veggie lunch. Tonight for dinner I am making lasagne, since my husband likes it so much. It will be a test to see if I can eat just one small serving along with a salad and not do too much damage to my BS.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Sorry I haven't been here in a while I have been busy I have so much stress going on in my life it's not real. I hope things can get better well went to the dr the other day and now they added 3 more pills to my daily dose. I have to take Mobic for the aching in my knees twice a day and then Claritin everyday. I am feeling kind of depressed or I am jest feeling sorry for myself or something but I am jest in the dumps a lot lately. I hope that I can get out of this soon.
I hope every one is doing good . I pray everyday I have the will to get back into what I need to do but I jest cant seem to find it. I hope it isn't gone for a long time I so need to do something in my life. I am so sick of being fat! Well I better be going I have a sicken headache. today again.
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly. I am on a lot more pills than you are, but then I'm a lot older than you and have heart disease. If the Mobic is helping your knee then it's necessary, and Claritin is for allergies and might also help with your headaches. Many people are on Claritin and I don't think it has many bad side effects. Is the Mobic helping your knee? Maybe if your knee starts to feel better you will be able to get back to your walking. That would also help with your mood. Being in the south, you won't have to contend with snow interfering.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Closed Thread