Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Mad Guess we were writing at the same time and I missed your post. I seem to need the carbs these days but too many does set me off for cravings. Finally took docs advice and using MyFitnessPal.com. I liked a lot of things about Livestrong better, but I found that MFP has so many more food info than LS does especially for foods we like to eat in restaurants. I think where I got this temporary gain is because I haven't kept up with the calories the last 2 or 3 days. So I'm doing that again. I am just the type of person who can estimate the cals/portions like a lot of people do. Enjoy your holiday.

Carol Sue I agree about the Worcestershire sauce. I can handle a taste of it, but I think in large quantities that it is just to overpowering for me. I make chex mix for DH because he doesn't like the pretzels etc in his. I always have to take the store bought and remove all the items he doesn't like. So I told him I would make it instead and hopefully it will be healthier too. It only called for 4 tsp of the Worcestershire and he said it was too much so he wants me to make it next time with only half. It does make a difference in the taste of some foods so I guess we have to learn to use it according to taste.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #17  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have to decide if I am going to stick with weight watchers or not. IN the spring I was going to meetings in Waterloo with a friend, instead of the Elmira meetings, which I didn't like. I did like the meetings in Waterloo better.
I get the on line stuff too, for counting points, and I could do that even here.
Perhaps if I can get back in the habit while here, it would be worth it.
Stayed on track all day today. No binges or inappropriate foods.
Well, one day won't do it, but it IS a start.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The dr office called to remind me of my appointment so I took that opportunity to move the appointment to Sept 20. I had intended to be down some lbs before my appointment but I failed, so I'm giving myself another chance. I have 44 days to accomplish something. 6 weeks. Like you said, Trish, I am going to take it one day at a time. I am going to stick to my eating plan and exercise plan just for today. Then tomorrow I will do it again. I'm not going to look 44 days down the road. If I don't succeed and he has to change my BP meds, then so be it. But I want to do it on my own, and I'm going to try my best. Determination and Discipline.

See that picture <-------? That will be me for the next 44 days. LOL

People used to bring home made chex mix to work and I never liked it. It was probably because of the worcestershire sauce. I agree with cutting it back at least half. My husband loves it on his steak. That is full strength and that's probably why I don't like it. My mother used to use it in recipes and it never bothered me.

Mad, Carbs set me off, too. In fact, once I eat the first food of the day I seem to go into a frenzy, even if there's no carbs involved. So I try to delay my first meal and eat brunch instead of breakfast and lunch.

I went to WW last year but I quit after 1 month because of the cost. Also, I didn't like our leader. My DIL kept it up and is now really thin, and her neighbors have lost a lot. I can't stick to it on my own. I even did low carb on it. It's a good plan if you don't mind paying that money. The leader we had was very thin. She had lost 10 lbs 20 years ago and then became a leader. I didn't think it was right for her to become a leader after losing only 10 lbs. She really wasn't very inspiring to those of us who have so much more to lose. It's like she did it just to become a leader. Do they get paid? Maybe she just needed a job. LOL Give me a leader who has lost 50+ pounds and kept it off, and I will be inspired to do it too!

When you posted here before, you did very well and you can do it again!

Ruth - When I go to my DR appointment he will probably want me to get labs done. Maybe we can do it together! Pick a date to go and write it on your calendar. You will then have time to get yourself psyched up to do it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #19  

Well, I am convinced that fiber carbs are my friends. I have an old Prevention Diabetes book that says fiber is the key. I always liked doing Intermittent Fasting (IF) with Intuitive Eating and was trying to do a 5 to 8 hour eating window, but I didn't do that yesterday. I don't think IF is going to work for me because last night I went over the 8 hours because I got hungry for popcorn. I had a 100 calorie bag in freezer and fixed it. It tasted so good and satisfied me. So I can do the Intuitive Eating thing because you only eat when hungry and stop when satisfied. That should be the way we always eat period. It just takes learning when you are tummy hungry and when it is just emotional or taste hunger which isn't always easy, but staying with certain calories does help.

Carol Sue There was a time I used to cook a one meal dish of meat and veggies and poured lot of Worcestershire on it and added water because I was low carbing. I'm not sure why my taste buds suddenly changed and I just don't like so much of it any more. A little is fine, but not loads of it. You have a good plan and you can do it.

Mad I agree with Carol Sue. You have done this before and you have been the one who inspired me to not give up. I know you can do it again. Maybe there are just certain carbs you cannot handle that set you off. I know there are certain carbs even counting calories that I just cannot bring into the house. Example, I love WW little carrot cake, I used to think just having the taste of one was enough and it was for a long time. Then one day they became a binge food for me so I don't buy them any more. I love potato chips especially when I eat a sandwich. I'm better off not to bring them into the house because I'm like an alcoholic with them... I can't stop eating them until the bag is half gone. I tried buying the individual packs, but it is just as easy to open another one. So I've learned that they sabotage me and I can't bring them in the house ever. You will find your way again. I am praying for you.

Ruthie Hope you have a super day and that you get good news from your mammogram. I hate those things, but we have to do them. Make that appt and get the bloodwork done. Better to know what is going on. I know that there have been times that I expected things to be really bad only to find they weren't as bad as I thought. I hope it will be the same for you.

DH got his test results in the mail and doc had note at top "will discuss this at next appt." I think he may have to go on insilun because his A1c isn't coming down. He needs to make a few changes in diet and he needs to add exercise, but he is stubborn. But then he isn't that much over weight, so I don't think his has anything to do with weight. I know that if I can get my weight back down into onederland that mine goes away. I just have to continue to be as Carol Sue Determined and Disciplined.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #20  

I did pretty good today. I had 1273 calories. I just ate my meals and no snacks. I had too many carbs, but the total calories were good. I just have to make sure I don't snack this evening. Most of the time, I go into the bedroom around 8 or 9 and watch TV because DH and I don't watch the same shows. Usually I fall asleep with the TV on and he turns it off when he comes in. If I do that, I will not eat, because I brush my teeth before I go to bed and don't want to eat after I've brushed. So I should be ok. Day one was a success!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #21  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

How is it going I have been sitting here for most of the day with a killer head ache I think for the most part it is from the new glasses I now have to have bi focals. Aunt went to do her chemo today and they couldn't do it her Cells and Platlets and something else was down and they had to give her potassium too so may be next week. Monday I go with her to get her port in.
Not too much going on here jest been a blah day. Yeah Me and my youngest daughter has been working on the books My oldest daughter and her husbands is first he is from brazil and it is hard getting pictures of him but his mom came threw. My son and his girl friend is living together and they are now talking about having a baby . He is already being a dad to her 6 year old daughter. She was asking me for pictures one day so this will be nice.

I know I have been having problems with my knee But I wanna look up some things I can do like may be some floor workout. Its doesn't hurt so bad now as it did a few weeks ago. I will have to check my ticker out it is probley wrong Last weigh in I was 290 I will have to check. well I better be going have to talk to my youngest before she heads to bed. Catch you guys tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #22  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

It's good to see familiar faces (screen names)

Carol Sue thanks for the reminder ...

My fbs are still ridiculous I don't know what makes them lower some days than others

01 ~ 188.2 (-1.2) fbs 160
02 ~ 188.2 (N/C) fbs 196
03 ~ 187.6 (-0.6) fbs 152
04 ~ 187.4 (-0.2) fbs 151
05 ~ 188.0 (+0.6) fbs 148
06 ~ 189.4 (+1.4) fbs 171
07 ~ 188.6 (-0.8) fbs 161
08 ~ 188.8 (+0.2) fbs 154

I am still taking the 2000mg of Met a day but I think my timing is off. Do you all stop eating at a certain time so that when you take your fbs it is exactly 12hours since you last ate? or how long since your last meal before you take your fbs and are you on Metformin? When do you take it? Do you take it every 12 hours? Thanks for your help
Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #23  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Friday Fly Past! Darned scale showed me 190.0 for several days this week. I was expecting a drop today but it went UP to 190.8! I suspect it was the salt in the pre-seasoned chicken skewers because it was a very low carb day. FBS is running OK as usual and I have still not made the bloodwork appointment. Maybe next week?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #24  

I am down 1 pound from yesterday, now at 200. So I guess my diligence yesterday paid off. Now to conquer today.

Rennie - My FBS is terrible, much like yours, so I can't give you any help. I take 850 Met three times a day. The first is usually when I get up, maybe around 8 AM The second is at dinner, usually around 4-5 PM. The last is at bedtime around 10 PM. That's every 8 hours. I usually have something to eat in the evening, not always at the same time, so my FBS is usually 10-12 hours after my last food. Right now I'm trying not to eat anything after dinner so that is closer to 15 hours after I eat. I honestly don't know what is correct. I have been told that I should eat a small snack before bed, but a nurse told me not to eat a snack if I'm not hungry. I think she said that because I'm already taking in too many calories and need to lose weight. I don't always follow what the medical people tell me. I experiment and try to find what works best for me. I haven't found that yet with my BS.

One person posted that per their doctor's instructions, they take all their Met at bedtime to lower their FBS. I feel as though the Metformin isn't doing anything for me, but it's all I'm on and I don't want to go on anything else. I would like to use diet and exercise to get my BS down. That is my goal, but so far I have not been disciplined enough to do it.

Ruth
- Your small gain is just a normal fluctuation. Stick to what you're doing and the drop will come when you least expect it.

Bonnie - Do you wear any kind of brace for your knee? I have one that is elastic with small staves on each side. It comes in sizes and you just pull it up your leg over your knee and there is a hole where your knee cap goes to allow your knee to bend. I always wear it when I'm exercising on my treadmill or elliptical. I don't wear it throughout the day, and sometimes if I'm shopping and doing a lot of walking around my knee will start to hurt. They are not expensive and can be bought at drug stores, WalMart etc. I don't know what your budget is but I would say they are under $20.

I wear bi-focals but I hate glasses and don't wear them all the time. The only time I have a problem is when I'm going down steps. It's hard to look down to focus on the step. I don't get headaches though. I didn't need glasses until I got older and they have always been fi-focals. Maybe you just need to get used to the prescription.

Mad and Trish - How are you both doing today?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #25  

Rennie I take 1000 mg Metformin once a day usually with my largest meal. I only eat snacks in the evening if I need it. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether FBS is high or low. I wanted to stop it at one time, but Mad shared with me that it was supposed to keep the diabetes from getting worse. So I continue to take it. I am learning by trial and error that fiber, exercise, rest and drinking water seems to help me bring down the fbs although I have a long way to go to get it down to normal as mine has finally come down to 179 after 3 months of working to learn what works for me. It was a little over 200 at last doctors appt. I also realized today that my sugar has been up just a little recently. Since I've started using MyFitnessPal and keeping up with calories etc of my diet, I realized that the only thing I'm going over on is sugar. Didn't really notice that I could watch it on MFP. Today I worked at Food Plan for the day that I needed to pull back on the sugar to get it down and I'm still over by 1 pt. Tomorrow I will adjust this by cutting back on my fruit... maybe even cut it out completely, not sure. We have to learn to work at getting control of the disease by finding out what works for us. Good luck on your journey.

I think this thread is important because we learn from each other. What works for me or someone else may not work for all or some of us, but it is helpful in helping me see how to try things to see what does. I appreciate each and everyone of you.

Bonnie, Carol Sue, Mad, Ruthie and Lurkers Have a good day.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #26  
Madeleine

Hi friends: well, what I did accomplish in the last 2 days is that I started tracking again. the ww tracker is the best I have tried, so easy, so if I track it is worth it to me. I did 30 minutes of active yoga yesterday. Today is a sleepy day, and had a huge lunch, am almost at points for the day already, so will be using extra points for supper tonight.

I will "weigh-in" about fbs and metformin etc. Overall, no matter what your bs and fbs readings are, metformin is helpful for all type 2 diabetics in keeping damage to blood vessels and kidneys to a minimum. of all the non-insulin diabetic meds it has the lowest risks and fewest side effects (other than the gastro-intestinal issues that usually get better with time) and these are usually offset by the positives. So unless you absolutely can't tolerate it and your doctor agrees, keep on it. You should talk with your doctor, or diabetic educator etc if you can't get your sugars under control with the dosage you are on. Some people need more metformin, other meds as well etc.

Some reasons for high fbs: the metformin may need a different formulation: try switching to extended release. If you are taking once a day, take late evening unless your doctor says otherwise. Your number one issue may be dumping of sugar by the liver, and this usually happens with overnight fasting. Take with a small snack with a few carbs. I found 8 peanuts was about right. Thats right 8 peanuts. The nuts have a few carbs, some fibre as well as fat and protein, but I don't need much.
Fasting is usually 8 or more hours without food. Most food has passed through the small intestine by that time, unless you had a large meal just before bed.
ok, enough of me in lecture mode.
It is time for me to go for a walk.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #27  

Mad - Thanks for explaining some things about Met. I am on the highest dose of regular Met allowed. I don't know if ER would help me. I don't want to go on any addtl meds because some of the other ones wear out the beta cells too fast. At least that's what I've heard. I know if I lose weight and exercise my BS will come down and I would rather do it that way than take on more meds.

My PCP handles my diabetes and as long as my A1c is under 7 he is satisfied. I know that many doctors are stricter than he is, but I think he takes into account my age and my heart disease.

I have to log my food into FitDay to see how I did with my calories today. I didn't eat a lot, but not all my food choices were good one.

It's good that you started tracking again. That always seems to help.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #28  
Madeleine

yes, I did go for that walk yesterday. I tracked my food, but went way high on points yesterday. We have a friend staying for the weekend, but I am doing the cooking, so any problems are of my own making.
Carole Sue: how is your A1C?
My last one was 5.7, so I have stayed steady. Of course, it doesn't reflect highs and lows. I have had a few lows in the last couple of months. They are noticeable enough that I have been moody and snapped at people, who then make me eat. (all my work colleagues and students have been told about this and what to do). I hadn't had lows for quite a while, and I think I have been getting them as my beta cells have recovered somewhat. It tends to be when I am tired and avoiding over eating, (i used to eat sweets and get lots of caffeine to stay awake for work) and somehow forget how long it has been between meals.
Well, today is sunny and bright and it is warming up. Will finish my tea lakeside. ttfn ladies
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #29  

Mad Thanks for sharing with us about Metformin. I knew you could explain it so much better than I. We sure do need you here and hope we can be as supportive of you as you always have been for us. You know I used to go for hours without eating. Now I am realizing that I probably need to be attentive and not do that any more.

My tracking on MFP is going to become very productive for me. I absolutely love how it shows me soooo much info on my foods... calories, carbs, fats, sodium, sugar and fiber. I'm beginning to plan my food for the day and making it into a game to see how I can work out my food each morning so as to keep my sugar etc under the recommended amounts and now working to get my sugar in a safe place for me and then get the fiber up little bit at a time. In fact, I've heard that you shouldn't raise fiber too fast so your body can adjust ,but I'm not sure how much to add at a time and if adding like 5 g a week till I get it increased to the amount needed is too fast. Mad do you know? Anyway, I plan to start the Metamucil 1 tsp a day starting tomorrow to help get the fiber up where it should be. I think if I could get it up where it should be that I could get a lot of my bloodwork numbers back to normal. I see my doc a week from Monday and maybe he can advise me on that one. Carol Sue are you still using the Metamucil? When do you take yours? I didn't see anything to tell me when to take it... wonder if I should take it before a meal. I'm thinking that fiber would also help me feel satisfied and maybe keep me from overeating. I noticed that overeating causes my fbs to be higher.

Another observation. I love cashew nuts. I admit that I did eat more than the 1oz last night, but I notice that when I eat them that my fbs is higher the next day. Maybe I cannot eat them.

I'm working to continue to lower my fbs, cholesterol and trigylcerides and get my good cholesterol up. And of course, try to get below 200.

TTM Y'all have a nice weekend.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #30  

I really overate today. I had 2000 calories!!! I will get back on track tomorrow, for sure. It was just one of those days.

Mad, my last A1c was 7.8. That was when my doctor increased my Metformin to 850 three times a day. I am about due to have another one soon, but I wanted to lose some weight and get my BS reading down a bit before I get it done. I go along well for a while then I screw up and it spikes. I was reading another diabetes board where someone wrote that it's better to be diligent in your diet and keep you BS from going too high because if you're not on insulin, there's really no way to get it back down quickly. And that's true. I think I'll have 1 small amount of carbs and it leads to a binge for me. It's really a trigger and I have to be very careful.

Trish - I haven't been taking the Metamucil recently. For some reason it seems to constipate me. I had cut back to only 1/2 tsp in an effort to ease my way into it, but after a couple days I would start to get constipated a little so I'd quit. Also, the 1/2 tsp was not lowering my FBS. I was taking it immediately before a meal. It swells in your stomach and makes you feel full sooner, and it absorbs the food that you eat and carries it further down your intestinal tract where it is absorbed more slowly. I don't think it does anything for you if you take it without food. Try this, Trish. Put a teaspoonful of it in a cup of water and let it sit. In a few minutes you will see it become a very thick gel. That's what it does in your stomach. It grossed me out a bit when I saw that, but if it helps me, then I don't care. The bad thing is, we eat out a lot and I can't take it with me and drink it right before I eat. I don't know if it would work if I took it before I left the house. It would probably be at least 45 minutes before I would be eating. I also know that you have to drink lots and lots of water when you're taking it. I eat very little junk food, but my problem is keeping my portions small. I have to be very careful with that.
Closed Thread