3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Diabetes Chat for June. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/260204-diabetes-chat-june.html)

fatmad 06-08-2012 09:12 AM

Good morning all: yesterday was a sleep day mostly, had a lovely home birth in the night, but slept a lot. An amazing thing happened, I made ricotta cake for company on Saturday night, but had forgotten about the left overs! Realizing this, I took the 1/2 cake to the office yesterday and shared it with rhubarb sauce (ok, rhubarb cooked with splenda til it was saucy!) and now it is gone, and no longer a temptation. Did low carb yesterday, and will so it today to, then back to atkins induction for saturday and sunday. MOnday and Tuesday will be points days, as we will be at the mercy of the funeral directors, and I want to be able to drink wine or beer. I don't speak french very well period, and get self-concious about it if I don't drink. :o
Weight is down below 180 today, see if it sticks with me changing plans around. fbs was 5.1 so am pretty pleased I got through the sleep day without overeating and overcarbing as I am prone to do.
Trish: those $1 frozen foods are really frankenfoods, full of carbs and salt. No matter how convenient, was pay with our health! As a diet resister, I am with you sister, but however you are managing, make sure you are getting healthy foods and smaller portions. I do like the small plate trick to reduce portions.
Rennie: Its all a learning process for each of us, and some people can handle and enjoy foods that others can't. You fbs was fabulous, congrats! Don't forget extra calcium-magnesium and b complex for the leg cramps!
Ruth, sorry about the pirhanas, I mean goldfish attacking you. What nasty fish, you made up for it with the lobster eating I guess.
I got one of the retro dresses in the mail yesterday, and it does look great on me, but won't zip up the side well, a bit tight there. Plan to lose 5 more pounds in a hurry, (atkins induction to the max!) and sew it on if needed. Still another dress to come, but I definitely like the style and fit of the red one. Its from a place online called "trashy diva" and is a red full skirted tight bodiced shirtwaist style. Its the tight bodice that is the problem, may even take it to a dressmaker and get sewn in if needed for the wedding.
WELL off to work ladies, have a lovely June Friday, tgif

pattygirl63 06-08-2012 10:51 AM

Good Morning Chickies

Weight is about the same. FBS is slowly coming back down, but still high. I really don't know what it was yesterday because I forgot to check it until after I had taken my vitamins and bp medicine. Don't know if any of it really affects it but didn't worry about it. FBS got up to 212 one day this week, but is back down to 187 this morning and NO LEG CRAMPS from the Metformin and the swelling has come down considerably which should help a lot.

Rennie Madeleine is the one who taught me what to do about the leg cramps. My doc says B is a vitamin that just flushes out of our system when we get more than we need so I take one B-100 in the morning, and a B50 or complex depending on what I can get at the time (get most of my vitamins at Wal Mart). I take a Magnesium/Potassium combo I get from a Vitamin store online and it has really helped get the leg cramps under control. I knew about magnesium because the doc had me take Milk of Magnesium 45 yrs ago when I was pregnant and had lots of leg cramps.

Madeleine...:hug: Big Thanks to you You are a real blessing to all of us and I personally appreciate your advice to us. It has taken me a long time to find my way in dealing with diabetes and you've helped me a lot by helping me understand why you do certain things etc. I read a book when first diagnosed a few years ago which said to educate yourself and take control of your diabetes yourself. There is so much info out there on the net as well as in books... some good some not so good. Some I can or am willing to do and others I'm not... that is why you have to make it a learning experience where you learn to do what works/is right for you and fits your lifestyle. According to my doc, those who do this are the ones who successfully control their diabetes.

Ruthie Had Lobster once at Red Lobster back in TX and hated it too fishy tasting. Everyone tells me it is because it was frozen and they swear that if I ever eat it fresh that I'll love it. Hope I get to find out someday. Fish is becoming a big part of my food plan these day... just because I love it.

Bonnie :hug:I pray you have a good day today. Try to take things One Day at a Time. This is what I have to do because I can't do this if I see it long term. I am trying to focus on the "goal" not the now.

This is my laundry day. Kids know it, but oldest DGS came through and asked if I was doing laundry. I've learned to speak up. I told him yes and reminded him that I get Mon and Fri mornings and they have the rest of the week to do theirs. Something came up yesterday and I asked him about something and his attitude has been crappy. So I took the opportunity to let him know that his grandad sees their attitude about things and just how "he really thinks about it". Of course, I didn't tell him/them (not my place) but he feels like they just want to walk all over him... tear up things and have no respect for our stuff and how we want to take care of things. The big thing for me is what I knew would happen when he got to feeling good again "NOW HE IS SAYING THINGS TO THEM" and I think they have heard him say things to me about things. I feel sorry for my hubby. He has always been there for his daughter and her family and his oldest grandson has told him he wants to move back to FL because when he has a family he wants to raise his kids around "his grandparents". Tony is his only Blood grandparent on his Mother's side. It really hurt Tony and he even told his daughter about it. We have thought all along that they were using us and will move back to FL so Tony came right out and asked her. Her only answer was "Tyler says dumb things without thinking". No I think Tyler says what he hears them say because I've seen what she has said on FB. I can see a heartache coming in the future for my hubby that I can't stop. All I can do is pray for him and be there for him. At least now I know what is going on. You know the crazy thing is that my kids, especially my little great grandaughter thinks Tony is the greatest. Strange isn't it? I don't know what the future holds, but I know somehow it will all work out. Sure has changed my attitude about a lot of things. It really helps when you know what you are dealing with. It's just LIFE!!!:dizzy:

Y'all have a great day.

Butterfly50 06-08-2012 12:19 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone and Thanks for the kind words. Today is going on ok so far still feeling down though.

Was wondering is anyone taking vitamins or anything on a daily . Was wondering if I needed something extra in on a daily.

So was also wondering how do some of you handle carbs like bread and stuff like that ..

pattygirl63 06-08-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly50 (Post 4363987)
Good Afternoon Everyone and Thanks for the kind words. Today is going on ok so far still feeling down though.

Was wondering is anyone taking vitamins or anything on a daily . Was wondering if I needed something extra in on a daily.

So was also wondering how do some of you handle carbs like bread and stuff like that ..

I take a lot of Vitamins. Gave a list to doc and he approved it... removing some he said I didn't need and added some he said I did need. As for bread, I only use Double Fiber by Nature's Own. I don't eat a lot of bread very often. However, when I do keep a loaf around for those times when I really want a sandwich. Just me.

Hope you feel better soon.:hug: I know I feel down and depressed when I don't feel in control of my eating. I know I can't control other people, but feel that I should be able to control what I put in my mouth. So I really do understand what you are going through.

love2b150 06-08-2012 11:26 PM

fbs this morning 138 and down 2.4lbs of junk that I swallowed ... I have been so good today that it has to be in range tomorrow, :crossed:

I've noticed that always after lunch feel like I want to eat. I have no idea why. I am full when I finish lunch but about an hour later I'm thinking about food and looking. Thinking what I can eat that won't affect my bs reading. I can't wait for my brain/eyes/stomach to settle down :D

Bonnie I have felt alone so many times. Even today I told my daughter it seems that for every step forward I am yanked two back. I don't know why that is but I lean on my faith. I have 5 children 4 are ages 8-14. I believe that they give me the will to keep on trying no matter how hard I feel that I have it. No one here can talk to me about what's going on with me either. All I hear is Mommy don't eat that, Mommy should you be eating that?, my husband doesn't say anything, my little patrols have it covered. That may sound like a support system but me being at the other end of the stick and watching them eat what they want makes me feel very alone. My baby asked me this evening could I eat pizza? I told her no, she said oh well I guess no more pizza for us. I told her you all have been eating pizza for some time now without me so you can still have pizza (she's 8 that made her smile). May I ask why you feel like a failure? We all (well I have fallen off the wagon so many times it's crazy). I got down to 165bs and got back up to the 190's all because I got lazy and comfortable. Even though I have lost some of the weight it is still not enough to wear 1/4 of my clothes without looking like they belong to my 19 year old. Don't put yourself down. Look in the mirror and tell yourself all of the great qualities about YOU. And then smile, my bathroom is my space to cry and smile. After crying for awhile and my face is all red along with my eyes I ask myself do you feel better. Nope, I've just got to keep on going. Can't change what's done, but I can sure try to make the rest of the way a little smoother. PM me it you'd like, I may not be able to give you any advice but I can sure listen. Sometimes/most times an unbiased ear is all we need :hug:

Trish this is 100% true! Visiting with someone when they come to see us or we go to see them is quite different from living with them. I've lived with my share of families so I totally agree. I use to have leg cramps often when I was in my 20's not so bad in my early 30's. I just thought it was from lack of water and all the partying I use to do. I don't get them to much now but when I do, oh my goodness. I wish I didn't have any carb cravings my life would be so much easier right now. This evening going past 7-11 I wanted donuts so bad. Then I went past McD's and wanted fries. It's crazy. I feel like the lion on Madagascar everything looks like food :( Trish wow, that is heart wrenching, I'm sorry your hubby has to deal with that and you also, but like you said now you know :hug: Mother of five here and I know for a fact kids say exactly what they hear, just mini walking recorders. You know the way the repeat it that it came from an adult perspective.

LOL Ruth I was attacked by a bag of goldfish about a week ago :drool: I ate too many of course even though I shared them with my daughters. :) I've been wanting some stir fry broccoli and chicken (no rice or noodles) if I can keep myself in check all weekend I may just treat myself on Monday to a lunch portion. :) Nice reading this morning :) and nice job on the two pounds down :)

Madeleine, forgive me if I am out of line but I'm trying to get to know you all if that's ok and what's going on here if that's ok. Are you a midwife? and did someone pass away? ... I love midwives (my last four were delivered by midwives) and my condolences to you on the passing of your loved one :hug: Nice weigh in and nice reading :) Oh and may I ask who's getting married? That dress sounds interesting :) I was told to get and take calcium 500mg 2-3 times a day and fish oil 1000mg a day but haven't picked them up yet. Dr. said I didn't need the magnesium because the Metformin has helped me go from constipated and once every 4-5 days to a comfortable every other day. She said the magnesium would probably give me the runs. Sorry if TMI.

Butterfly50 06-09-2012 10:29 AM

Rennie Thanks a bunch. The reason I feel like a failure is because it seems to go good in the am then I crash and burn in the pm . I have been working on a few things and I am gonna start them today I am gonna post here everyday even if I have to post everything I eat and do to make myself countable. Then I see that they offer free diet blogs so I am gonna start one of them and write daily everything under the sun anything thats on my mind . I have three children my oldest one is 22 he still at home my middle on she is 17 and my baby is 14. They are all good about helping me but its the aunt that is the force field here. she is the one who is a diebetic and dont live like one she eats what and when and how much she always have to have sweets and Ice Cream in the house and she is always complaining for me to bake because she cant. I will figure this out here I will see myself that I get out of this rutt..

This morning blood sugar was 104 not bad . I will be back and check in . Thanks to everyone who lent me a ear I want to thank you. I will be checking on a million times.

love2b150 06-09-2012 11:17 AM

Bonnie I too do well in the mornings and afternoons and them my daughter will come home around 9 with a movie and want to eat also. SO I'll start snacking. Once I start it's really hard to stop and I love junk food :(. You can't control how she eats. She obviously doesn't have an issue with her sugar and just goes with the flow of how she wants to live. YOU on the other hand want to do right and you and I can. It will just take planning and a lot of resistance :) We can do it. Oh maybe when you are baking for her, have your nutritional treat handy to snack on. Just a thought :) I had a bout with snickerdoodle muffins last this wee. I didn't like the way I felt after eating a half of one the next day so that experiment was a lesson learned. Won't ever eat anything sweet like that on an empty stomach. Bonnie I'm hoping you have a nice day :hug:

my fbs was 111 this morning. That is the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed. I am so happy to see that number. :) I post on diabetic forums and read last night that someone make French toast with 1 egg, 1 Splenda, 2 tsp of vanilla and cinnamon. I decided to make it this morning with two slices of my low glycemic bread that I found. I ate it with sausage. My bs was 139 so that is another meal that went over well.

I hope everyone has a great day :)

Butterfly50 06-09-2012 02:07 PM

This is the first entry for my blog if you like to read Great if not you dont have to.

Thanks

learning the way to a new life
I was diagnosed being a diabetic for almost a year now. I have lost and I have gained and I am so tired of the ups and downs . I have decided to take it one day at a time and start doing something about it. I have dragged out all the videos and tapes and all the important papers of recepies and stuff that I have to get started.

I have tried to sole search and see where and why I have gotten like this and I have come to the conclusion that Its all me I am the one who picks it up and places in my mouth no one else does . I guess you can say I love Junk food and it is going to be a tuff break. I need to tell myself that it is ok to fall off the wagon as long as I get back up. cause I didn’t put this weight on over night and it isnt going to come off over night either.

I can sit here and say that when I was little I used to have to look for food I was lucky to eat lunch at school cause that was my main meal for the day. Their was many a day we used to pick potatoes and stuff after the tractors plowed the field jest to have food for us to eat. As I got older and I got around food I started to consume a lot of it cause I was so worried that I wouldn’t get any tomorrow then here comes the pounds and now I have a problem with eating food like sweets and junk food and it only has made me gain weight and become a diabetic. I in no means want to become like my Grandma and be a britel Diabetic or my sister who is a diabetic and has to stay in a wheel chair . I must take charge of the diabetic and start living my life cause face it I will have food tomorrow and I will be the one accountable for putting it in my mouth. I will be back to blog more over my struggles in my journey.

fatmad 06-09-2012 03:15 PM

Rennie: you are definitely NOT out of line. Its a pleasure to have you join us and for us to get to know you too. I am a midwife, also a nurse, (in Canada, no nurse midwives, totally independent). My uncle recently died after years of alzheimers. My oldest daughter (age 25) is getting married, in just two weeks. I also have a 20 year old daughter, now in university and living away from home, but just 30 minutes away, and we had a hard time getting along her last 2 years of high school. Its much better now with her away, we visit and get along fine.

Rennie and Bonnie: the evening snack monster is definitely a problem and mostly a learned behaviour. We all fall victim to it sometimes. I do find that eating a good supper is key, and while for some of us, a snack in the evening helps the fasting blood sugars, snack is the key and must be small. In my youth, I could eat a whole bag of chips or cookies and not gain. I had terrible eating habits, and would happily do that again. There are times I slip and over eat and eat poorly. Don't beat yourself up when it happens, but as we read here about people with successes, they don't stop their proper diet plans when they mess up, the get right back to it. So I just want to encourage you both to plan how you will handle the evenings, but having a good and filling supper, and saving a few calories or points or food from whatever plan you are following to enjoy during those evening times. And Bonnie, blogging is a good way to start to sort yourself out, keep it up if you can. I started one, but its just not my thing and has gone by the wayside.

Trish: I just wanna :hug: give you a big ole hug, and hope things will turn out right. No matter what the outcome, (even if they move back to Fla) you will both have helped her and her family out, and gotten to know those grandkids much better than ever. In time, they will mostly figure out that you and Tony did your best, and that you are lovely, loving parents and grandparents. You will always have a relationship with them, even if they are distant, and temporarily ticked off etc. But do protect yourselves from the poorhouse and eternal squabbling so your marriage can survive this.

I am thinking about lobster quite happily Ruth, what a good idea, high protein, low fat (unless we dip in a LOT of butter) and tasty too.

Rie: enjoy the fishing and the weekend.

In the morning I leave for Quebec, will take my laptop but may not have the chance to use it. thanks for all the support friends, and I always enjoy reading about everyone, so a hello to anyone I missed today.

love2b150 06-09-2012 09:26 PM

Bonnie good for you on getting it all out. I started a blog on here a long time ago and have no idea how to get back to it. I started one on the diabetic forum also its really easy to access so I'll keep writing.

Madeleine, I think you did mention your Uncle or someone did. I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: I had an Uncle recently pass also. Our 19 year old daughter is getting married on June 26th. :) When you snack what do you typically snack on? I'm open to anything.

Butterfly50 06-09-2012 10:53 PM

Rennie and fatmad Thanks I am feeling better . Today has went well for me not 100% but almost. I hate getting up in the am and my stomach hurting cause I am hungry so I made me a flax seed muffin tonight .

So I have been testing before and after my meals looking at getting an idea of where my sugar is and several times now I have tested and my levels are 72. Does any one else do this? and I take metformin every night. Still have to get my meals laid out . I will get back I am jest gonna give it a day at a time.

pattygirl63 06-09-2012 11:20 PM

Madeleine Have safe trip. Will you be able to spend time with your Daddy while there? Can't remember, you may be taking him with you. Thanks for the :hug:and kind words of encouragement. I'm actually glad we decided to help Tony's DD. Regardless how things turnout, I believe we did the only thing we could do because it was the right thing to do. What happens after is up to them. At least I know DH and I love each other and this is just one of those things couple have to go through and we will be fine when it is over. My Grandmother always said "Let your conscience be your guide". I'll have no regrets and neither will DH.

Bonnie:hug: I think the blog is a great idea. I also have a problem that you and Rennie have of loving junk food and I also have had the problem of being a nighttime eater. I have stopped the junk food eating finally... or at least for this week. The lower carbs has helped a lot. I also have gone through the experience of not knowing where my next meal was coming from although not to the extent you experienced. It took me a long time to convince myself that I have food in the fridge and the freezer and if I don't have what I want, I can get it. It took me a while but I think I've gotten over that one for the most part although I must admit that sometimes when money gets low or economy gets shakey that monster does have a tendency to raise its ugly head. Hope you can work that one out as well.

Well, I told DD that I want to take her Daddy out tomorrow after church so I would like for oldest DGS to drive the girls and himself to church since I'm sure the parents won't be going because the baby is sick. She looked surprised. You know, I think they all thought that we were just 2 old people who set around doing nothing. When DH feels good, we always get out and do things. Now that they live here and with us having to stay home with the kids while they work and go to school, I think DH and I need to get out and go do things by ourselves when they are home. They have a habit of leaving at least one child with us when they go somewhere. We never get any "us" time or "alone" time. Never have the house to ourselves at all. And that is getting old. So I'm going to start making some changes so we aren't "stuck" at home all the time. If they weren't here we would have planned a trip this past spring. I am ready to take a short overnight trip, couldn't take longer since we have to be here for the kids during the week, but just an overnighter or 2 nights out for us to have some nice quiet "alone" time would be very relaxing.

Didn't mean to make this so long. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Butterfly50 06-10-2012 06:52 PM

Hey How are things going for everyone?? For me today has gone great I havn't been able to work out been nasty here. The hubby bought me a bike this morning so I can get out and do something different.Now if the rain was gone I would be riding my bike instead of being coop up in this house. I will be back with more happy things.

love2b150 06-10-2012 09:07 PM

Trish not long at all. I know about the me/us time. Unfortunate for me my husband doesn't like to do much of anything. He would prefer to stay home, me cook and then he naps off and on all day. It does get boring. I'm glad that you and your DH get to have "us" time. It does make a difference. Hope you get to do it soon. :)

Bonnie glad your day is going well thus far and congrats on the bike. My husband bought me one last year. I road it a little last year but we need a hitch of some sort to get all of the bikes to the nearest trail. :)

my fbs was 143 (I bought some sweet potato chips and decided to munch on them at 9:30pm). I had a pretty good day. I had a good breakfast with egg, cheese and ham and two slices of rye/pump bread. I took my reading 25 minutes before time (had to usher this morning) my bs was 182. I know it should be less than 180 but I didn't think that was bad considering I had the bread and it was earlier. I went for my first walk since being diagnosed. It was a 40 minute leisure walk. Not bad, hope it helps.

love2b150 06-10-2012 09:20 PM

OK I just got a log book in the mail to log my bs daily. Well in it it says

~ less than 110mg before a meal
~ less than 140mg 2 hours after meals

I had read

~ between 70-130mg fasting
~ not higher than 180mg 2 hours after meals

What do you all do? Looks like I have been totally out of range even when I thought I was doing well :(