Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Default High Fasting Glucose

So I've recently really started to really take my diagnosis of diabetes seriously. I avoided it for awhile. So I've been working on controlling my diet. And I've taken a low carb approach. My after meal numbers have been getting really good. Tonight after dinner it was 117 when normally they're up to 200. But what sucks is that my morning numbers suck. They're up in the 180s/190s. My doctor has put me on 2000mg of Metformin, so I would expect some improvement. But it seems like the medication isn't working at all. And I'm worried that the next step is insulin which I REALLY don't want.

So any suggestions? Am I doing things right or should I be doing something else? Do I need to just go back to my doctor and accept the fact that I might get put on another medication? I'm just really worried that there aren't any other options. Let me know if there's something that you've done to control your morning numbers! Maybe there's a trick to it? :-)
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

My morning numbers were the last ones to consistently stay down. For me, I saved some of my supper carbs/calories and always eat a snack before bedtime that is 80 - 100 calories and 10-15 carbs. A favorite is a light and fit yogurt.

You are doing great with your new commitment and it will just take time for all the numbers to come down. Is your metformin split into two doses? Just keep a detailed food log and bs diary and you will start to learn how your body reacts.

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #3  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

you may also be having the morning dumping. i for the life of me can't remeber the name or what to do about it. i haven't heard of people saying they do for awhile now. i know i did for a short time years ago. sorry for that.
but, it does take time for everything to come together as rie said. just keep at it.
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/198/126

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper15173 View Post
you may also be having the morning dumping. i for the life of me can't remeber the name or what to do about it. i haven't heard of people saying they do for awhile now. i know i did for a short time years ago. sorry for that.
but, it does take time for everything to come together as rie said. just keep at it.
Dawn Phenomenon?
I used to get this a lot but it evened out after a while. A snack before bedtime does seem to help stop the sugar being dumped so heavily into your blood stream.
FatLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/241/175

Height: 5'7"

I just started testing for the first last week. I'm not taking any diabetes medecine. My evening numbers have been 140-170 for the most part and my pre-breakfast numbers have been 129-140. So I'm a little surprised that the numbers are so close together.

I got diagnosed about 3 years, but my doctor didn't tell me verbally. I was going through some papers and saw a written diagnosis of diabetes mellitus on the sheet. Anyways at my next visit he said I didn't need diabetes meds. Then I lost my health ins coverage. I just got hooked up with another dr. here in my home town. I have a blood test next week and a follow-up visit the week after. I'm hoping to avoid medication if I can.
BuffJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

It is worth while to test a couple of times at the same time as you have blood drawn. Many machines are less accurate at lower numbers. Its a drag, but I also suspect my fasting numbers are better than what my meter reflects.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #7  

Height: 5'2"

My fasting numbers are between 140-160 in the morning also. A snack before bedtime does not seem to be helping with my numbers. My numbers the rest of the day are fine and my A1c is ok. I don't seem to have an anwer either.
Lindy87 is offline   Reply With Quote