Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All and Welcome to the newbies!

I know that the diagnosis and the initial months are scary and confusing. I was only diagnosed last fall. If it matters, I feel pretty confident now. It just takes a little time.

I am on vacation now but I intend to be back on this forum steady in another day or two. I am looking forward to getting to know you. Hang in there!

Rie
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #152  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Default OMG I thought I was reading my own post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
It is a scary thing and no they didn't give me much info they jest said I will be getting signed up for this class. She told me I should recieve a meter and they should show me how to use it. Alot of good it is doing me now. They only hold these classes once a month. Right now it is jest the waiting game. I have been looking into different low carb programs. I have read about Atkins,Zone,South Beach dont sound too bad but I have high triglercides and I can't have alot of fat so gonna have to watch that. I am jest confused the doc wants me to come in once a week for a blood test to see how things are going until I get the meter and can start recording my stuff. My head is still spining with all this...
Butterfly you sound just like me! I am on the same dose of Metformin as you 500mg once a day. I have high everything else they check for the good stuff is down the bad stuff is up. I got my meter before the class, but that was due to scheduling conflicts with their classes and my work, I am self employed but I still cannot take off just anytime. Take it slow it will make you crazy to try and memorize it all at one time. I LOVED the classes, I learned a lot. One thing that has helped me is to recored my eating, I don't like having to keep a food diary because it makes me focus too much on food, but I feel that for the moment I have no choice, so I do it. Take it one day and one meal at a time. Good luck and we are all here if you need us. God Bless.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #153  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there, new chicks. Yes, I know it is all very scary and confusing when you first get the dreaded diagnosis. Trust me, it does get much easier as time goes on. For me, keeping carbs low has worked in getting my HA1C down to a "controlled diabetic" level. That's in the 6 to 7 range. I've been on Metformin and gylburide for several years now and don't obsess over FBGL readings although I do take them every morning. I never test during the day or at bedtime since it's the HA1C test that tells the true story.

A good FBGL this morning at 4.8 which was after some potato salad with my chicken and salad for supper last night. I find the new potatoes don't spike me the next morning. This week I'll experiment with corn though.

Several challenges ahead in the next week when I have loads of company. I will be taking them out for dim-sum when we go to Ottawa and will have to be careful. I know the salt is a killer for water weight and it's hard to avoid it in Chinese foods. I will just avoid the scale for a while. My weight seems to be on another plateau just below 180. I hope it doesn't stay there as long as it stayed just above 200!

Be nice to your body today.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
It is a scary thing and no they didn't give me much info they jest said I will be getting signed up for this class. She told me I should recieve a meter and they should show me how to use it. Alot of good it is doing me now. They only hold these classes once a month. Right now it is jest the waiting game. I have been looking into different low carb programs. I have read about Atkins,Zone,South Beach dont sound too bad but I have high triglercides and I can't have alot of fat so gonna have to watch that. I am jest confused the doc wants me to come in once a week for a blood test to see how things are going until I get the meter and can start recording my stuff. My head is still spining with all this...
Butterfly, ask your doctor about Fish Oil for your triglycerides. I have battled them for several years. This year my doctor added fish oil to my regieme and my triglycerides went from 253 to 135. I take 1200 mg of fish oil twice a day, but do not do this without your doctor's ok.

Carol
Old 07-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #155  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Morning all. Today I weighed in and am down another 1.5 pounds, that makes 10 since June 9th. I hope to continue this losing streak. Have a blessed day.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 AM   #156  
Come on Spring!

Good BGL again this morning of 4.2 but the scale seems stuck at just under 180. I doubt that it will budge this week as I have company for the week. Luckily one of them is a MOD from here so there will be mindful eating. We will also be doing a fair amount of walking as I show them the Village which will help.

Not to worry if I'm not online much.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #157  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks Everyone . So what does everyone do? Are you on a plan or do you jest watch your carbs ? Calories? I have been reading about the Atkins program but I don't know that thing looks pretty scary. I will be keeping a journal of what Iam eating its a nice way to keep it all in check and my doctor would like to see it when I come back in. I have been searching threw alot of info. I have come to like most of the info . My family is on the fence because I told them I have to do this and I will only cook one meal so they are gonna start eating healthy. To be honest I know they can do it they jest dont want to give up junk foods...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello all!

I am happy to be back home and taking a day of rest to recover from my vacation with kids and grandkids. I had some great memories but I think I am too old/tired to travel with a 4yrold by myself.

Last night we had a large family gathering at a buffet. I ate pretty well. However, when I did my evening test (90) I realized that I had forgot to take my metformin. I didn't want to take it and then go to bed so I just skipped it. I was at 106 this morning. Ugh.

I did well on vacation with just a few enjoyed splurges and maintained bs control pretty well. There was lots of walking and activity so I hope that helped. I won't weigh in for two weeks now so I am still hoping for a good month. I plan to be really good for then next little time.

Butterfly. I eat about 20 carbs per meal, and I emphasize lean protein and non-starchy veggies, and portion control. I have long list of "free" veggies like green beans, leafy veggies, cucumbers, etc that I eat as much as I want in order to stay full. I keep a food and bs diary because it has allowed me to learn which carbs raise my bs and which ones don't. It is different for everyone. I also learned to eat a small snack (usually dannon light and fit yogurt) for an evening snack. This keeps my bs low in the morning. Welcome to our group. Keep asking for advise and good luck.

Hi Ruth, Cajun, and Fatmad!

Rie
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #159  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Thanks Riemontana Thats is kinda of what I was thinking of doing is a average of 20 Carbs a meal . I wanted to try to do it on my own what is your average calories a day or you dont count calories?? As LIke I said I have been reading about Atkins diet but their is alot that I dont like so I want to try anything . Where did you come up with a list of food for you to eat. Any help will be appreciated Thanks

Bonnie
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #160  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Bonnie--

I'm two months into the new lifestyle. I keep a spreadsheet tracking all food intake, bs with times, meds taken w/times and exercise type and duration. Like Rie, this helps me to track what works best for diet/exercise and bs effects. I don't track liquid intake because I drink only water (lots) and black decaf coffee.

I check my bs after exercise because I can tell how effective my workout was based on the bs drop.

All of this was unbelievably overwhelming and time consuming for the first several weeks. Now it is part of my daily routine. I just leave the spreadsheet open on the computer and update frequently throughout the day. Incidentally, keeping track of breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks has also helped me to plan ahead for meals.

Late entry--I developed a list of my foods w/portions, calories, carbs and cholesterol. Time consuming at first to add each new item, it is now a very quick and handy reference for meal planning.

I get my protein these days mainly from poultry, seafood, plain yogurt and cottage cheese. I've had beef only once in two months, lamb twice. I'm a big fan of stirfry--only now I skip the rice. For salads, I use a mix that is 50% spinach, with homemade dressing. Lots of broccoli, artichokes, brussel sprouts and portioned avocados.

One last thing--I keep an eye on the clock. I have found that late dinners are not good for my bs at all. My bs does better with breakfast before 7:00AM. Metformin works best for me when I take it 30 minutes before meals. Initially, it's a lot of trial and error to learn your body's needs. Good luck!

Best wishes to all for a good evening and normal blood glucose.

--------------------------------------------
Bread/Potato/Pasta/Pizza free since June 1, 2011

Last edited by Floriduh; 07-31-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to include list of foods
Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #161  
Come on Spring!

I just split off the August posts into a new thread.
Go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...gust-chat.html
Closed Thread