Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Nutritionist

Yesterday, I called and scheduled an appointment with a Nutritionist who comes to the local Hospital twice weekly. Obviously for a Diabetic to see the Nutritionist, the Diabetic must take medication (s). I say this as the woman who schedules appointments inquired which medicine (s) I take. Told her I do not take any. I'm taking natural supplements, which they disagree with! If pharmaceutical drug (s) are required to see the Nutritionist, I will cancel. BTW, I've been Diabetic soon 3 years, and it took myself to schedule! Doctor doesn't do jack for me!!
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Once again, it's time to change doctors. Can you consult someone who is into natural supplements? Or go to the appointment and see what happens. You could luck out and get a nutritionist who is more open-minded.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If your diabetes is under control naturally I think it's strange they disagree with that! I agree if you can look for another doctor.

I mean I have PCOS and I don't take metformin because I have my blood sugars under control with my diet- if a doctor forced me to take it I'd be walking.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Maybe it has to do with whether insurance will cover it? Some insurance is bad about covering dieticians and they may be worried that insurance will only cover if you are on medication.

It does still sound like it is time for a new doctor.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Ruthxxx,
This time, I'm seriously considering changing doctors. I called the Nutrition manager and inquired if I have to take medication before seeing the Nutritionist. She told me no. After scheduling my appointment yesterday, she called my doctor's office to get info for my appt tomorrow, and was told they didn't know I no longer took Metformin. It's not documented in my chart that I had stopped taking. I just told my doctor, May 11 I no longer take because I experience excruciating pain in my legs. I had already told him once or twice!! He does NOT listen to anything I say, and it is p*ssing me off!!! We do not have practitioners in my area who practices natural means of healing. Would have to drive hours to seek. I'm doing this on my own by reading books, reading this message board and by trial and error. Since I'm not required to take medication, I decided to keep my appointment. Keeping fingers crossed! Last summer, a young friend age 20 learned he is Type II. His blood sugar was 1,000!!! His doctor immediately referred him to the same Nutritionist, and he said she is great, so am holding out hope.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 05-19-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #6  
Woman on mission!

Beerab,
My blood sugar was under control, but hasn't been for awhile. Am working to get it back under control, and better than ever. A woman on a mission here! I bought a book titled Diabetes without drugs. The 5- step program to control blood sugar naturally and prevent diabetes complications. The Author is Suzy Cohen R.Ph. Majority, if not all doctors in the area I live doesn't believe in natural supplements. Oh no, they prescribe pharmaceutical drugs that make their patients sick, or worse! When my D level was low and B12 was on lower side of normal, my doctor didn't suggest/recommend anything. I had to take my health into my own hands, where it was safe!! On back of the book, it says, "Most doctors and health organizations consider diabetes a one way street-once you have it, your only option is to manage the symptoms with a restricted diet, close monitoring of blood sugar, and expensive medications. Not so! Author Suzy Cohen believes that you can treat diabetes through safe, natural means, like food and vitamins, rather than strictly relying on prescription drugs. And she shifts the focus away from rigid glucose management to a whole body approach using supplements, minerals, and dietary changes to lose weight, repair cell damage, improve insulin function, and reduce the side effects from presciption drugs, many of which rob nutrients from the body. This 5-step program uses natural alternatives-all backed by scientific studies-to help you restore your body's own supply of insulin, the key to keeping blood sugar levels under control. In this breakthrough program, you'll follow these steps. Step 1: Drink nutrition-packed green drinks, such as spirulina, chlorella, and barley grass, to add essential vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants to your diet. Step 2: Add vitamin D supplements to help control blood sugar and lower your risk for certain cancers. Step 3: Increase fiber intake to lower blood pressure and "bad" LDL cholesterol. Step 4: Take glucose-lowering and anti-inflammatory supplements like resveratrol, curcumin, and lipoic acid to wake up your metabolism and help you burn fat and sugar Step 5: Include minerals, such as chromium, magnesium, iron, and vanadium, in your diet to boost your natural metabolism. By making these 5 easy changes to your daily routine, you'll protect your heart, kidney's, eyes, and limbs from damage often caused by diabetes and eliminate some of the complications you may already experience.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Butter, I agree that diet, exercise and appropriate and natural supplements are a great way to go and should be the first thing we do for us type 2s. But even when we do things "right", sometimes the diabetes will progress. There should not be guilt over this.
Hope the nutritionist is helpful for you!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote