Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

mamaduck Glad your son and those on the island where he is are all okay. Will keep him in my prayers. I hope you have good diabetic class and will share anything that stands out to you.

Lindyloo Glad you are back. Glad the weather is better for you and Ruth. I love snow, but don't think I would like or enjoy as much of it as you guys do. I am doing really well with the 30 g carbs. Gives me just enough carbs. I try to never go over 40 as some days I do get a little bit more than the 30 however, usually just around 32 g. Any way it works for me. I do like the 1 minute muffin for when I want bread.

Ruth So glad you are getting your appetite back. You are making me want to try the lamb. Local store has fresh and my beautician says they have good lamb that is marinated which she tried. So I may try to brave it one day soon.

I am learning to cook again. I made scampi recently that DH dearly loved so I took butter, garlic and onion and a little juice from half a lemon and simmered it until flakey and I have to admit that it was very tastey. I've been looking for a way to cook fish since we don't batter it any more. Looks like the 30ish grams of carbs daily and the added 500 mg Metformin is working. My FBG was back down to 103 mg/dl this morning. Sure hope I can get it down below 100 mg/dl soon.

Y'all have a great day!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #62  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Well, I need to pay more attention. I had a stomach bug yesterday and did not eat much for supper - a slice of rye bread with Laughing Cow and two sliced olives is pretty sparse. Should have cut the glyburide at bedtime but didn't. My BGL was 2.7 this morning, way too low. USA 48.8. It's strange but I felt just fine.

I really must get a handle on this food thing. I really have no appetite and am going to have to "force feed" myself. The only thing that seems feasible is to do the frozen dinner thing as I just cannot work up enthusiasm for real cooking. Today I am going to force myself to make (and eat) a chicken noodle/veggie soup and will prep some raw veggies and dip to add to my evening meal. I need a cook - or my mother!

This too shall pass - I hope!

Ruth: given that your doc gave you the ok to go off the glyburide, why not stop it for a week or two. Keep track of your sugars, and see if its reasonable to stay off now that you are on the victoza. All these lows are gonna put you back, since you need to correct them.
I used to get low sugars quite a lot when I ate more carbs, but haven't had one in a while, and I don't miss them at all.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi all i was dx with Gestational Diabetes a few weeks ago. i am managing my sugar with diet. i am not giving up carbs, but i am backing down on them.

my sugars stay in the low 100s pretty much all day for my 2h, although i did see a 1/4 c light icecream raised my 1 hr to 168--that is telling.

but, i go to bed with my b/s 92 and wake up with it 99. I am pretty sure it is the dawn effect, because it is very common in pregnancy. screwy hormones.

I do NOT want the dr. to put me on insulin or metformin, though i am not against using GOAT'S RUE--the natural form of metformin, so i am really trying to figure this out!

since i am getting ready to graduate as an RN i know alot about this, but NOT how it pertains to me. Which is frustrating in and of itself.

are any of you also just watching your diet to control?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #64  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi, Jen. Nice to have you join us. I am taking Metformin, Glyburide and Victoza AND using my diet to stay in the controlled range for a diabetic so "just watching my diet" is not my path but then I don't have GD either.

Mad, you are right. I am going to cut the G tablets in half for a while. I have forgotten to take my Victoza for two mornings now and will ease back up to the full dose today. I was experimenting a bit to see if my appetite came back - and it did with a vengeance!

Patty, I thoroughly enjoyed both cooking and eating the lamb chops last night and even made a crockpot of chili overnight. The scale is up a tad this morning but I can handle that.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #65  

OK well, i can stop being stressed about my sugars. My dr. said today that he wants my fasting under 105 and my 2H under 135. So far so good. He took a look at them today. Plus, i h ad a non-stress test and that looked good too.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #66  
Come on Spring!

Well ... no ultra-low reading this morning. I had popcorn last night while watching AI. What a waste of time and calories although 10 grams of fiber should be good! Corned beef tonight so I plan to stay off the scale tomorrow. .
Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #67  

i want corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, the Donohue in me is screaming for it, i'm just too tired to do anything about it!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #68  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
i want corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, the Donohue in me is screaming for it, i'm just too tired to do anything about it!
just go low on the potatoes, fill up on the corned beef and cabbage! yum.

When I have been looking at metformin, as far as I know it is still not recommended in pregnancy, is it? My clients with pcos stay on it until they are pregnant, then go off. If the get GD during pregnancy and can't control it with diet, they go on insulin. Are there some new studies?

Most of my clients with GD can manage with diet. Some can't follow the diet, but some can't control sugars in spite of following their diet. A few will choose to go lower carb rather than go on insulin, (no negative health effects noted) but most dietitians still just recommend carb counting and still getting about 150g grams carbs, and don't recommend lower carb counts.
hope things are going well, and glad baby is healthy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #69  
Madeleine

Hey everyone, didn't mean to be MIA, today is what we are jokingly calling St. Peggy's day, the day my mother died last year. Went to spend the day with my father, he will be 80 next month. We had a nice afternoon, and a nice lunch together. Before I left to come home he told me he has started seeing a lady he met online. She lives in his town, and sounds very nice. I am glad for him to have a companion, I have been worried about him being lonely.
Three meals out today, stuck fairly close to plan, in spite of temptations. Back to basics for the weekend.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #70  
Come on Spring!

Well, I indulged in scalloped potatoes last night and expected a high reading this morning but it's 3.5 - go figure! Scale is back to 190 but I know that's water weight from the corned beef and the potatoes - a mix, I hate to admit! Healthy eating and lots of water is on the plan today.

When I was in town yesterday, I did a minor produce shop and got some lovely strawberries and a small watermelon. My head appetite is back although my stomach is still not keen and eager.

How nice for your Dad, Mad. I'm sure you all miss your mother but am glad your Dad has found some relief from his loneliness.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #71  
Madeleine

We are having sun and warmth again this am. Have been feeling springy this week! Tomorrow is youngest DD birthday, the first day of spring. Another dinner out! TOO much fun in my life. Started today off with some fibre cereal, so I don't have to complain about things that are TMI.
Also, found that astro makes a greek yogurt with high (10%) fat content, it is excellent, all the good things about yogurt, and right for atkins. yum.
have a great saturday friends. off to work
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #72  

I haven't been around much either. It is beautiful here and spring like. Low 80's last 2 days and 78 today. Will be in hi 60's tomorrow but can handle that. Went and got nails done yesterday fills and color change or fake nails and a pedicure. Doing that pedicure pretty regular to take care of feet since dx diabetic. Came home got DH and made him go with me to get him out of the house. We really enjoyed shopping, goint out to eat... now that I'm doing more of a Carbohydrate Addict's Diet type woe eating out is more of a pleasure. Saturday mornings are always busy. My regular day of going to beauty shop and then store to grab a few things and then hit Zaxby's and Burger King to get Hubby's favorite foods... Buffalo Fingerz from Zaxby's and fries from BK. I'm going to have a couple of the Fingerz and have cole slaw I'll pick up at the store.

BS is crazy at times so it has more to do with things other than food I think especially the FBG. BS was 116 when I went to bed and was 138 when I got up. But then I only had about 5 hrs sleep and that always makes it a little higher.

Mad So glad you Dad has someone to fill the loneliness of his life. Makes things so much easier especially if she makes him happy. I know you miss your Mother and that will never change. I have experienced all of that and it Mama has been gone so long that her memory is almost like a dream, but the missing her is very real.

Ruthie Isn't it strange how things affect or don't affect our BG and sometimes our scale like we think it will? I took measurements this morning and going to see how that goes. I haven't been keeping up with that, but think it is time to do that. Could be as wackie as the scales and BG though. Who knows?

jendiet I have a DD who had GD while pregnant with her 1st child and has never had it again. DH has a DD who has had it with everyone of her 4 children, but doesn't have it after they are born. She follows the food plan they give her as close as she can while pregnant and has no weight problem at all. So hopefully this will be something that you won't have to deal with once your little one gets here.

Rosebud, Lindyloo and others reading.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #73  
Come on Spring!

Just popping in to day, Happy First Day of Spring! I know March will have some surprises for us but we're over the hump. It's just above freezing but I have my windows open and am "air-cleaning" the house!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #74  
Come on Spring!

Monday reality check: If you indulge in chocolate covered oatmeal cookies mid-afternoon, you will not eat a proper supper and your BGL will crash in the night. Smarten up!

See! My appetite wasn't gone; it was just lurking ready to pounce on a day when I forgot my Victoza!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #75  

Hi Everyone,

Changing to CAD/CALP woe is working great for me. I've been glancing through my CAD book and read how the plan is to help get my metabolism working correctly so decided to start with the 2 week Plan A. Started that yesterday although I had been on CAD for several days. As expected the weight and the FBG increased, but now is steadily coming back down. This is a way of eating that I can live with becaue it fits my lifestyle. So I am happy with how things are going. I'm eating low carb (CAD approved foods)for breakfast and dinner. My starchy carb (Reward Meal) is eaten around 2 to 3 in the afternoon.

Weather has been so beautiful and my woe is giving me more energy so that I feel like doing more. Not doing much today except trying to get my BSF lesson finished. I have to go to dentist to get a tooth filled and will be glad to get that done and behind me.

Hope everyone is doing well today. Have a good evening.
Closed Thread