Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie thinking of you watching the game with the Met Opera going.

Tony doesn't care about football all that much. Previous hubby loved it and wouldn't miss a game especially Cowboys. We will watch it enough to know what it going on and that is it since his son will probably call some time during the game.

Went out to eat yesterday and evidently got too much salt. Up a lb today, but it will go back down tomorrow I'm sure. FBS was extremely high for me, but was back down 4 hrs later when I got home from church. So decided I will be getting more control of the carbs.

I found a book I had (don't know where or why I got it) called The Sugar Addict's Recovery Program. It sounded really good until I got to the part where it said that you were supposed to eat a potato each night with the skin to train your body to produce insulin in order for the serotonine to be made and function. I cloed the book and forgot about it because I think we take Metformin to keep our body from making too much insulin and releasing it into the body. They pushed eating protein and carbs rather than low carbing. More carbs IS NOT what I need to eat but LESS. Well, I guess there are all kinds of books out there.

As much as I hate counting anything, I'm counting calories and carbs now. Guess this is what I have to do because I DO NOT want to go backwards, I've made too much progress to mess up and lose it now. Got up this morning and weighed and measured to help me see & know my progress as I go along... and I'm having a great day. Just have to turn the day into days and weeks and months etc.

Mad Sorry you couldn't make the party and hope your Hubby gets to feeling better soon.

Everybody have a great Superbowl evening.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #17  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI TRISH ~ yes, we are keeping nice & warm up here; after several days of full , we have had a few cloudy days with ***** on and off; but not that much really. Tonight the temps have fallen down to -15C but that's not too bad. We need it becuz our Winter Carnival is on right now and the ice must be hard for the festivities.

RUTH ~ that sounds nice that the Victoza is making you less hungry; but I wouldn't want to do the needle thing ... opera and sports?

I used to watch sports in the past but haven't done that in quite some time. I spent my weekend reading a nice historical romance, and loved it.

We had roast beef and veggies for dinner tonight; lots leftover for tomorrow. I'm having a baked apple with a sprinkle of walnuts for my snack right now.

Have to go to the dentist on Tuesday for that filling; hope I feel better this week and no nausea. May have to take a gravol with me ... Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-06-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #18  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, opera and sports - and I used to knit at the same time. My Mother was adept at knitting and reading!

Good meeting and nice dinner at Claire's - I actually had an appetite! I didn't drink wine, resisted a decadent dessert and ate small portions of everything. Weight is UP .4 this morning! Go figure! Killer Salt may have been lurking.

My back is still sore so I may not do my full routine at the gym. Busy day (and week) ahead but my food is planned.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #19  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

did ok at last nights superbowl party, but did have a few crackers with the dips, then walked away from the food and kept busy. Didn't feel very social at all, tho. Even tho things are a bit better at home these days, since the fight in October with DD, my depression hasn't lifted much inspite of med increases and changes. so may have to find an alternative way to deal with that.
Leaves me feeling a lack of ambition. I don't know how much is our problems or if I am still grieving for my mother. In March it will be a year since she died, and I would like to get back to an emotional balance. I think that will help my weight loss.
Hope you all had a good weekend and for those who watched the game, that you managed your appetite ok. Ruth, how was your dinner party?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #20  
Come on Spring!

Mad, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with depression as well as the other crud life pitches at us. It's hard to have to keep striving for emotional balance but we women are strong and can do it. ((Mad))

Dinner party was good. I avoided "Death by Chocolate" by imagining what it would be like to throw up after eating it! Gross trick but it worked. I did NOT mention it at the table - do have some couth!

Weight is down another wee bit this morning despite stir-fry last night. I used Hoisin sauce which seems to have less salt. My back is still bothering me so exercise has been curtailed although I am going to do some treadmill this morning.

BGL is still pretty good but I'm not sure if I'm controlling it with diet or the meds. Yesterday I ran into my doc when I was at my meeting at the Clinic and he noticed I'd lost some weight. He asked how much and I told him he had to wait until our appointment on March 7th. (202-193.6=8.4 since Jan. 24 is very nice but I know some of the loss was water and that it will slow down soon.)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #21  
Madeleine

Ruth , that is all good news, except the back. If you can afford to invest in a massage treatment, I find that helpful. I also have a good chiropractor. We are worth it to ourselves. HAd a long talk with DH last night about how my feelings are not in balance, and he very supportive. THen I got called to work, so am going to work this am with just a few hours of sleep. This is when I want to cheat, so am glad I made some prepped foods on the weekend. Had custard for breakfast and will be home for lunch to eat coleslaw and a few ribs.
Its dawned bright and sunny at least, so the day looks crisp but good out there.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #22  

Ruth Glad the scales are moving down for you and liked how you handled the chocolate. Chocolate... the dark that is so good for us (they say) has been my downfall lately. I am so sorry that you back isn't better. Maybe a chiropractor will be helpful.

Mad So sorry you are going through the depression. I can understand how emotions can be so off balance. I lost my Mama almost 20 yrs ago and I still have my moments, but I try to remember that she is in a much better place and isn't in any pain any more. Helps also that I know I will see her again someday. It just takes time for our emotions to catch up to what we know and believe in our hearts. Will keep you in my prayers. Hope your day goes well with so little sleep, but it is so good for you to be able to talk to you DH and have his support. That helps a whole lot.

Rosebud I know you will be glad to get that tooth fixed.

Well, I haven't been here a few days as FBS went up and I've had to take time to regroup and get my head around this and then get my head on straight. I tried counting carbs and calories... just too much work and time I don't have. I've decided to stick with the WW Points plus since I don't want to give up my fruit just cutting back on how much fruit I will eat. I would rather have the fruit and then keep the junk out of here. I've got my plan for today. Had my steel Irish oats for breakfast and will have flounder for lunch with salad and broccoli and have breakfast for dinner. Will end up using 28 of the 29 basic pts required. Going heavier on the protein. I believe this will work out good for me. I know this will work because it was working until I messed it up with the junk. I just have to remember that there are some things that I CANNOT bring into the house. I will set my mind on the 29 daily pts and save the weekly pts for eating out. Actually I usually find eating out easier for me because I know I have to be extra careful when eating out.

We have beautiful weather today and tomorrow and then Thursday we are supposed to have snow again. Hopefully that will be the last of it for us. So many people have had it so bad that I certainly cannot and will not complain.

Have a good one.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #23  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning Ladies.
Been MIA for awhile, as I keep forgetting about the new months posting. I kept checking the old one and noone was posting. Then it dawned on me and I can actually call it a seniors moment now.

Had my AIc checked last week and it was 6.1 down from 6.3 last time. I also asked the doctor about my high morning readings (sometimes as high as 8.6).
He said not to worry aboout it and that the only reading that is really acurate is the AIc. He also said I was keeping very good control on the diabetes.

Ruth - congrats on your weight losss.

Mad - hopefully thing will look better for you soon.

Rosebud - good luck on the tooth.

We had another 10 inches of snow yesterday. Enough already. Wishing for spring.

Have a great day.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #24  
Come on Spring!

Lindyloo, nice to "see" you again and congratulations on the great HA1C reading! I guess I should have posted a link to the new thread when we ended the January one.

Rosebud, how did the trip to the dentist go? No problem with hard ice around here despite being "southern" compared to you.

Patty, we sure do have to experiment to hit the right eating plan. I have things I cannot have in the house and innocent Melba toast is one of them. Chips have been banished for years but Melba toast is sneaky - I think it's the crunch.

Mad, so sorry you had another short sleep night and I hope things brighten up for you.

Victoza is working for appetite control, perhaps too well. I am forgetting to eat and never thought that would happen! I didn't feel it until mid-afternoon yesterday and it wasn't hunger but dizziness from low BGL. Gotta fix that! Although they are pretty high salt, I may stock up on some frozen "diet" meals. I am also going to put a meal break onto my daily planner with reminders. Weight is dropping, of course down to 191.6 this morning. I know enough about nutrition and diabetes to smarten up. It's about health, not just weightloss, dummy!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #25  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RUTH ~ the dentist appt went really well; he is a younger fella but he decided he would do it as fast as he could yet still do a good job. Turns out that I did need 2 teeth done (one next to the other) but he did them at the same time; I was out of there in a flash. I was very grateful : no pain and no nausea this time, as he used the drills in short spurts (we had discussed this idea and it worked). The night before, I was up almost every hour; didn't feel anxious but must have been as I couldn't sleep. It all turned out well; so glad it's over ...

You are doing so well of late; losing pretty steady there. Glad the Victoza's working for you to take away the hunger ... I was gonna ask until I read that you had to take needles to use it; dang it!!! I learned here that Byetta helps people lose weight and control BSL's but it is only avaialable in the US (and probably has to be administered by needle too); maybe the Victoza will turn out to be a Canadian equivelant to the Byetta.

TRISH ~ well, at least you are learning that the WW program is a good basic plan for you with some tweaking. I like the fruit too; I just limit how much and how often I have it; and what kinds too. I made some apple-rhubarb compote and I just have 1/4 cup at a time; so satisfying even in that small amount.

MAD ~ praying the depression gets better soon; yes, I think that grief could be a part of the problem. After the first full year, you may start to see some improvement; it is true what they say -- that TIME is the best healer ...

THANKS, LINDY ~ glad you are keeping those numbers under 7.0 and your doc is happy with how things are going for you. Well, 10" of snow is a lot at one time ...

I spent Monday morning washing my floors; Tuesday up town at dentist and grocery shopping. Today, was cleaning around here (bathroom, kitchen, etc). We're having leftover BBQ spit chicken with brown rice and veggies mix.

The temps have fallen during the night here; we have -20 C already right now ... We did have all day yesterday and for a good part of the day today. Time to go check on our dinner; it smells ready ...

Take good care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #26  
Come on Spring!

I love your , Rosebud. We need more and as we slowly inch toward Spring. Yes, Byetta IS by needle and also causes a lot of nausea and even vomiting. Victoza has similar side effects but not as severe, for me at least. I had very slight nausea the first two days which sure helped with appetite control. Doing the injections is no problem as I have a very small needles and really don't feel it - and I'm a wimp!

Yesterday was a better day with food but I'm still not eating enough veggies and fruit or calories for that matter. Whodathunkit? Today will be better, even if I have to eat small meals six times a day. The good news is that the thought of the Chinese Buffet in town makes me feel queasy.

I think I need a chef - around 26 and buff would be good - male, of course! We eat with our eyes, right?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #27  
Madeleine

Thanks for the love and hugs ladies, I needed that. I took the radical step of going off my medication. Called the doc and told her about it. I am on a low dose, and wasn't sure if I should increase or go off. She agreed with going off for a bit and seeing if it was the med change that made things seem worse. Funny tho, I changed meds because it seemed to be worse and the first one wasn't helping, and at first the new med seemed better. (certain drives seemed improved anyhow!) But anyway, today dawns a new day, and I do feel better, although it may that 14 hours of sleep will do that.
I was awake all night Tuesday night, just a catnap in there, then helped another lovely baby into the world. I sure hope the next one comes during the day, perhaps on the weekend. I have a lot of daytime work to make up today and tomorrow, so hope people hold off a bit.
Well, lots of posts while I worked and slept. Was great to hear from you Lindyloo. Stay warm!
Ruth, I think its a good idea to have reminders to eat, whatever works, even small amounts. I too could easily plow through a box of melba toast, it would be a chip replacement, and I would tell myself its healthier than chips even as I ate more calories than one would think humanly possible. That crunch IS addictive.
Trish, I am glad you worked things out well with your dentist. I don't like to use freezing if I can help it when having dental work, leaves me wonky all day, by BP drops too much even with small doses. Awk.
Well, time for tea, and getting ready for work, maybe check out a few other threads.
Thanks ladies, this is always my first stop in the morning, I really enjoy checking in here.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #28  

Well, I didn't get by here yesterday and feels like I've been gone for days. Yesterday I left my BSF meeting before the lecture came home and got my grocery list and went to the store to get some asparagus and zucchini. I've got to start eating the zucchini again and see if it will help get my FBS back down. When I ate off my FBS went up to 141. I got it back down below 110 one day and then it has been 126 yesterday and 128 this morning. The strange thing is the readings during the day are super even was down in the 80's one evening. It 103 last night before I went to bed so I was surprised that it was 128 this morning. I actually have been having a little bit of energy for a change so I've been a lot more active. When I got home from the store yesterday DH and I went to Walmart to get meds the doc had called in for him. His triglycerides was very high so the doc put him on a statin. Then today I spent the day getting some much needed housework done that I haven't felt like doing. It actually feels good to feel good. I remember the doc telling me one time to eat my starchy carbs earlier in the day so I did that today. So I'll see in the morning if that makes a difference. This is really a trial and error learning experience isn't it?

Scales are finally going down. I was excited this morning to see that I was down 2lbs below where I was on New Yrs day so if I can keep it I'm down into the virgin territory again. So WW is working for me and I figure in time my body BS will catch up.

Lindyloo It is good to see you here... missed you. Glad you have you BS under control. I remember the last time I went to doc and I thought the A1c was going to be bad and he walked in and said "Good job. A1c was really good". Strange how that works. So the high morning readings may mean nothing. I know DH and I have been under stress this past week and his has been a little high as well. I know that can cause FBS to be high. He went to the dentist to get his teeth cleaned and had to have $3,000 worth of dental work done. So I needed to hear what your doc said. Thanks for sharing that.

Rosebud Glad things went so well for you at the dentist office. We have a good dentist who works with me. I explained to him how nervous I was with a new dentist when I first went to him and he was super. I have no problem going to him now. I have never cooked or eaten rhubarb and thought about buying some, but I'm afraid I won't like it. May break down and try it one of these days.

Ruthie I'm glad you didn't experience too much nausea etc with the Byetta. It is difficult to eat when you aren't hungry I know, but you need to eat enough so your body won't think it is starving. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Mad Glad you were able to get some much needed rest. Hope going off the meds keeps working for you. DH is on meds and it has made a real difference in him and his attitude. I feel like I have my hubby back again. So take good care of yourself.

Guess I better close. didn't mean to make it so long. Hope everyone has a great Friday tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #29  
Come on Spring!

Patty, it's Victoza, not Byetta and the nausea is minimal. Not to worry. My BGL is doing OK and is not too low. I was hoping to ditch the gyburide but it's not happening ... yet. I am way too impatient. I just realized I've only been on this stuff for two weeks as of tonight! I should increase my dose tonight per instructions but am going to wait a bit until after the weekend. I don't want increased nausea over the busy weekend. Right now it's manageable.

Yesterday I had a long chat with my dearest and oldest friend re my lack of appetite. She has practically ordered me to eat better and says I need to cook super-tasty meals in small quantities rather than just grab and go. She may be right. I made a quesadilla with two small ww tortillas last night and ate the whole thing! A salad with it would have been better but ... When I am in town today I'll get some "upscale" veggies and do something special tonight.

I know I will have no problem resisting the Chinese Buffet when I'm in town!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #30  

Well, FBS was back down to 109 mg/dl this morning. I had my zucchini in an omlet last night and I drank 4 oz of red wine before I went to bed. I think that helped lower the blood sugar this morning.

Ruthie Sorry, I knew it wasn't Byetta, but it was Victoza. I'm glad it is working for you.

Hello everybody else reading this.

Y'all have a great week end.
Closed Thread