Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #16  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning

Great idea about the chicken tenders Trish. I will have to try that.

Have a great time in Edmonton Madeline.

Leanne, hope everything works out for your family. We didn't get along with our first DIL, but the second one is a real gem. Wouldn't trade her for the world.

Going to start working on planning my meals a bit more. I have been reading Atkins for Life so hopefully I can get something out of that.

Have a great day all.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #17  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

So many in-law troubles! I guess it must not be unusual. We have not had contact with my brother and his wife for 5 years. She hates us, and we can't please her. It's very sad.

I don't always agree with my MIL, and sometimes she is a real pain and very disagreeable, but I am polite when she is around and I've learned to keep my mouth shut, even when she makes snide comments about my cleaning and child rearing skills. We had her over for dinner just last weekend. She is my husband's mother, after all. What's more is I have two boys. What am I going to do if they marry a mean woman like my SIL? At least I know how not to be a mean MIL, I guess.

I wonder if I should buy the Atkins book. Everyone seems to be on it. I've run out of test strips, so I'm just winging it right now.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #18  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Thanks for all the good wishes and wise comments.

My daughter did great with her exploratory lap yesterday. Got along wonderful with her DH and his grandma was there also. She is a doll and absolutely loves my DD. Spoils her rotten. Went to there house afterwards and when I got ready to leave I got a hug from my DD that showed me how much she appreciated me. I called her again last night to check on her and will check on her again today.

Today is the day to start eating right again. No more crappy carbs for me.
My fasting sugar was 105 this morning and I will take it. Had my egg beaters with 2 slices of canadian bacon and a sprinkle of cheese on it and a glass of V8 for breakfast. Will have a salad and some kind of left over meat for lunch.
I will have to have a snack between 3-4 probably some nuts. I can't go that long between lunch and supper and not eat something.

Anyway have a great day
Leann
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Great to see everybody here.

Leann So great to see things working out between you and your DD and her hubby. Her hugging you was such a sweet way of sending you the message of how much she appreciates you.

[CandEsB][/B] I've had 3 MIL (1st 2 DH deceasedd). I always said my 1st one was from ****. LOL But actually she did have a good side and was loads of fun when she let it show. I always treated her with respect whether she deserved it enough for the same reason you said... she was the Mother of my DH. God blessed me with my last 2 MIL because they were like my Mother than a MIL. They both had sons only and the 2nd MIL always said for me not to tell the other DIL, but I was the daughter she never had. DH Mother lived with Tony and me when we married and she always said she felt like I was her daughter instead of her DIL. People would ask her about how she could stand to live with us, but she always said it was a pleasure to be with us. I too try to be a good MIL and would treat my oldest son's wife like a daughter if they were in our lives.

Lindyloo I too am working at planning my meals better and more often. In fact, after reading what Madeleine wrote here and what other said to me on the Atkins thread, I am going to mini-meals about every 4 hours. I think I was eating too much at meal time and going too long between meals and then grabbing something easy for a snack. I didn't get to check my BS after breakfast this morning, but checked it after our noon meal and it was 119 mg/dl. I hope it will be that good later when I check it 2hrs after snack of low carb ice cream (homemade). I had forgotten that we have to eat regularly and often... not skipping meals to keep BS stable. I think this is the reason my BS has not been stable since I got back on Atkins.

I do have another question for y'all. At the end of this month we going to see DH son in IN and will spend 3 or 4 days there. They don't eat regular and when they eat it is VERY carby... not Atkins friendly at all. I will be out of induction by then. I used to just go all day without eating and just eat when we went out to eat once a day. Of course with diabetes I can't do that. What I would like is some suggestions from y'all as to what I could take to eat that would be easy and quick and could even be shared with Grandchildren so I'm not just eating in front of them. I appreciate your help. I know there are Atkins bars and shakes, but I'm not sure I could do 3 or 4 days of that and I don't want to lose the ground I've gained with Induction.
They could stall any weight loss and might not help the BS readings either. I thought of getting the frozen South Beach Quiche for breakfast. Do you think that is Atkins friendly by then?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #20  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, I am so glad you are feeling better and seeing good numbers with the smaller, more frequent meals. For travelling, I would think old cheddar on cucumber slices. In fact, I would bring a few things, like cream cheese, sliced meats, hard cooked eggs, mayo etc. to put in their fridge, saying you have special dietary needs, and don't expect them to change their lifestyle just for you, but you have to do this for medical reasons. I did this while with my relatives in quebec in the summer, and they were very understanding and I did great and had a lovely visit, or rather several visits.
am in Edmonton now, lovely weather, and went walking in the city centre for supper and found a love restaurant (blue plate ). Conference started off well, so should be a good time. But the food was tricky. I was able to have a fine breakfast at the airport, a cheese omelet, didn't have any homefries or toast with it. But then a long time until lunch, with the time change didn't realize it was over 6 hours, and it was only 10 am my time, (noon here) so I wanted breakfast again, and had another omelet. LOL it was great. THen 5.5 hours to supper. I did find a bit of cream cheese to snack on in between, so that helped. Had a large meal, am a bit full. They substituted curried chick peas for rice with my tandoori salmon, so maybe a bit more carbs than I am used to, but such healthy and delicious carbs, and chick peas have a lot of fat, so I hope not to spike or go out of ketosis.
Reading all the posts, but no time to comment except to send love to everyone, I love to hear how things are going.
ttfn
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #21  

Madeleine Thanks for the advice. Glad you are enjoying your trip. I've eaten omelets when I could get them when eating out. They make some really good ones that are usually low carb/Atkins friendly. You did a good job especially since you went so long in between meals.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #22  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Trish, My kids like mozzerella sticks, and my oldest will eat cucumber slices. As far as the MIL situation goes, I try to do the best I can. I know I wouldn't like it if someone criticized my mom, so I try not to do that. There seems to be a lot of bad DsIL. I hope my children use better judgment than my brother did.

Fatmad, have a nice time at your conference. Salmon sounds good. I may have to make some today! lol
Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #23  
In it 4 the long haul

Why oh why do I go off my healthy eating plan. I know it's not good for me.

No or very low carbs for the past 2 days. Did a 3 mile boot camp work out 3 days this week and I am down 3 lbs. Of course that was 3 lbs that I had gained while eating crappy.

Also fasting blood sugar was 90 yesterday and 100 this morning.

If I ever get it and eat like I am supposed to and exercise regularly then I might actually get somewhere.

Sounds like I am not the only one who has ever had in law problems or problems with their kids. I am feeling better about it all and even considering doing thanksgiving.

Trish I agree with Madeline that it would help if you took along some easy to eat snacks and such. Maybe some fixins for salad and the kind of dressing you like. I had a hard time when I went to SIL house after the funeral. I did not eat like I should have. Also when we spent the weekend about a month ago with BIL & SIL. Next time I will take some things with me.

Madeline So glad you are enjoying your trip. Sounds like you are making healthy choices also. Have a good time..........

Lindyloo I too am having to do some better meal planning. It is so easy just to grap something rather than plan something that would be healthier.

theCandEs I don't do Atkins per say but I do a very low carb mostly from non starchy veggies. No bread, potatoes, crackers or chips. That is when I am following the plan. I have been eating a few pinto beans and need to check and see how they are affecting my sugars. They used to bring it up a bit.

Have a good day all
Leann
Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #24  
Madeleine

Unfortunately, the conference organizers were not always good with choices, but today was much better. Am going out tonight with a friend for a good steak dinner, since we are in beef country, planning on local grown beef to enjoy.
I do feel a little discouraged, fbs was 6.4 yesterday and 6.0 today, higher than I would like. I am sure it reflects my difficulty sticking to plan, in that they are a bit high, and also reflect how well I have done in that they are not higher!
Up very early to go home in the morning, looking forward to time at home and with family. Have a good weekend everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, but especially Canadians who are celebrating on the weekend.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #25  

Thanks for all the food ideas for my trip later this month.

Madeleine Sorry the choices haven't been great and the FBG is up, but I think you did good considering. Have a safe trip home.

Leanne Glad you are back on track and you BG is back down.

Everybody have a great weekend and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #26  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi "Sweeties". I'm on my way home. BGL has been miraculously under control but I don't intend to face the scale until Monday morning.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian chicks!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #27  
In it 4 the long haul

Wishing all my Canadian chicks a Wonderful Thanksgiving................

Fasting sugar was 103 this morning and that was after having a senior fish plate last night. Oh but it was so good.

Back to the grind again today. Had my good breakfast after a long talk with my sister in Nebraska. We try to talk every weekend and usually spend about an hour on the phone.

Just finished a 2 mile Hi Calorie Walk with my Leslie Sansone dvd. All sweaty now but it feels so good to exercise.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather where they are. It has been back in the 80's this week and has been just beautiful. I have even opened the windows to air the house out a bit before shutting her down for winter.

Have a good day
Leann
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #28  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND to all our Canadian friends here ... hope you have a great one. I picked up a couple of lean prime rib roasts; we may have one of those on Monday, I think ... well, that's the plan.

HI RUTH ~ nice to have you back with us soon; good for you keeping the BSL's in check ...

Don't feel too bad ladies; I had a maintenance day today too. I seemed to have the munchies today. Not big amounts or really bad choices, just too many little amounts that all add up; but counting this as our optional day as we didn't do fun Friday yesterday. It will all work out over the week.

We had glorious all day today! The nights are getting down into the high thirties though (a bit frosty last night). Got some walking in today; and picked up a few groceries as well. Have a wonderful weekend everyone ... Rosebud
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #29  
Madeleine

hopped on the scale when I got home this afternoon, at least no weight gain!.
HOwever, I just put the pumpkin cheesecake in the oven for dessert tomorrow with Thanksgiving dinner. DD and her partner are hosting and doing the rest of my cooking. HIs Dad and brother, my Dad, and my other dd and dh round us out to 8. My sister and her family are not coming, (no surprise, as those of us who have family problems go, ours are not bad, but they sure don't enjoy family gathering the way the rest of us do.)
In fact, one of the things I like about my son-in-love is his caring for his Dad and brother, I think it speak well of how he will care about my daughter in the long run.
anyhow, I will want to hear about your adventures RUth, and hope everyone in Canada has a good Thanksgiving, whatever form it takes in your house and with your family.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #30  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Early good morning! I'm still jet lagged and have been up and wide-awake since 3.

I shopped at a farmers' market on the way home yesterday and am all set for veggies for the week. Today I'll make a chick-pea and greens soup. I also need to figure out how to incorporate more pasta into my plan without messing with my BGL. It may have to be my only "flour" for the day. Toast vs. pasta? No contest!

Interesting happening yesterday. I had to go down to the Post Office for the mail and automatically set out on foot, rather than taking the car. I guess I'm on the walking habit.

No big Thanksgiving Dinner today as I am working at the Mill. The big event will be next Saturday when my Montreal cousins come for a visit. Today is a normal day.
Closed Thread