Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #31  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default TMI alert

HI friends: My weight is back to 169 this am, so I am pleased over all. I think it is a pretty true weight, had been a bit constipated but had a good dump this am so feel normal as well. DH cooked my breakfast this am, meets with induction standards, so I can take that!
It seems most of us have a similar type of insomnia, middle of night waking, and sleeping pills don't tend to help that type much, according to my sleep doctor. He recommended melatonin, which is over the counter here. I tried a few brands, and settled on Vivitas. works the best. My cousin in Quebec tried it and reports she hasn't slept this well in years. no hangover, as it is a sleep regulator, doesn't tend to make a person sleepy.
I also found the zoloft helps for that, and that is why I have been taking it on and off for so many years. I had a mild depression for a while after oldest daughter left home, and went through some tough personal stuff at the time, and it helped that, but due to the sleep problems, I haven't been able to get off of it. No depression tho. If I can get through September, maybe I can readjust myself over October when I am not on call.
Sugars are just fine though, so I hope the induction will take a few more pounds off over the next while. I'm gonna aim for 160 for Christmas. I know its not a lot of weight between then and now, but I lose so slowly, it doesn't seem realistic to do more.
Have a good day everyone.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #32  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good Morning

Fatmad - slow is better than quick weight loss, I think it tends to stay off. I'm going to have to try that melatonin. I have heard a lot of people say it works well for them. I don't like taking sleeping pills, (only did it once) and I walked around in a daze for days.

Has anyone tried the new PGX daily that has been advertised on TV. It;s suppose to regulate your blood sugar levels and helps with weight loss. I did buy some yesterday, but will wait until I get back from vacation to try it. Just curious if anyone else has tried it.

All this talk about soup is making me think I need to make some too. I try to stay away from ready made (to much sodium).

Have a great day all.
Lindyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad Thanks for sharing about the melatonin... will look to see if I can find the Vivitas. I just hate the feeling of sleeping pills. I lose weight slowly too. Ended up not doing induction. Just pulled my carbs back more. I lose slowly too, but at least I'm losing. My Daddy told me that if I lose weight slowly that by the time I get down to where I want to be that it should be easier to stay there this time because I will have learned portion control. I hope he is right. It sounds logical.

Lindyloo That is why I don't like sleeping pills as I do the same thing. I feel like my head is in a fog for days afterwards. I haven't heard of the PGX. Let us know if it helps you.

Not much going on here. DH had to have blood test for his coumadin this morning and then we had prescriptions to pick up at Walmart. Picked up a few things there and back home. Now I'm doing laundry.

Y'all of a good day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #34  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quick fly-by because I just indulged in yet another nap. This could get to be a new habit although I slept really well last night. Insomnia is one of the symptoms of The Pause and I had it bigtime! I used Meltonin which helped although it did give em very vivid dreams. Now I find sniffing some lavender extract or putting some on my pillow helps a lot.
It's cold today and my body wants tea and soup for supper. I may force her into eating a baked chop from the freezer and some spinach and yellow beans. I'm the BOSS!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #35  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I have been having trouble sleeping lately too, but it isn't from menopause -- it's our young neighbours who are either playing their drums and their music really, really loud; or yelling and fighting and slamming doors ... GOD help us -- p l e a s e ! ! !

I think I am going to sleep in the livingroom tonight, even though our bed is so much more comfortable; I need one good night sleep this week. I will have a cup a tea soon and put my legs up for the day. I baked some healthy muffins today; and I found a recipe that suggests using concentrated apple juice (the frozen kind) instead of sugar and fat. Think I'll try that next time (esp for the sugar).

We had more again today; this will likely go on for another week or so, but we may get a little here and there, we hope. Have a good day tomorrow, folks ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #36  
Come on Spring!

Rosebud, check out your municipal by-laws. A phone call might be in order. If those muffins are good, could you please share the recipe. I am hankering for some muffins for breakfast - maybe with some laughing Cow or all-fruit jam....or both!

Busy, busy days around here as I catch up on the backlog of accounting work for the Mill. I feel proud to be volunteering at a National Historic Site but there sure is lots of work. If you are ever up this way, let me give you a tour.

Weight is stuck at the moment but I am confident it'll move down again. Right now it's time for breakfast - beef and veggie soup on this chilly morning. My last batch made eleven 2 cup servings, way too much, so I have quite a freezer stash.

Hope your Thursday is a good one.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #37  
Madeleine

slept ok last night, just work once and got back to sleep ok. Was a little off after just getting 5 hours the night before due to work. Also had a nap yesterday pm, so I should be caught up now, but am a bit tired none the less.
I was careful with eating yesterday not to do carbs etc but maybe had too much cheese or somethings. Fasting was 6.1 this am. My sugars before and after meals are just fine, but the fasting, even with pm metformin, just is up and down. not sure what else I can do about it, or if I need to.
I expect the next step will be more exercise, not for the weight, but should help to regulate the blood sugars. If I could be as good about the exercise as I've been about the food, I would be doing awesome.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Ladies

Finally got on here. Never could get here yesterday. I only have problems using 3FC. It doesn't want to let me move to the different threads.

I started taking the Melatonin which DH had. I have been sleeping pretty good. I went to bed early last night and slept good then woke up around 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. My aunt (actually my uncle's wife) back in TX passed away Tuesday and I woke up thinking about my cousins being without their mother. Couldn't get them and my uncle out of my mind. They were married 66 yrs. She was a precious woman and we thought she would die many years ago as she has had a lot of health problems. Back when we first thought she didn't have long to live, my Mother was doing fine. It was my Mother who died instead. That was a shocker. I also wanted to get online to look up her obituary and read it. She was 85, but I don't care how old they are it is not easy giving up our parents or a mate.

Well by the time I checked my FBS which was still earlier than usual, it was 120mg/dl. I am not happy with the numbers being between 115 and 120. I want it to go lower. I decided to back on strict low carb... Atkin's Induction. I looked up Dr. Bernstein and read about him. I read somewhere that every diabetic should have a copy of his book. Also one lady on another diabetic thread on lowcarb site said she never thought she would be able to lose weight and be thin again, but the weight came off easily when she did what Bernstein said to do. She and others there really stress Bernstein's book helped them get control of their BS. So I went to Amazon.com and read some reviews about his books and decided to order his newst book "Diabetes Solution" and also ordered a book that a review writer of his book suggested by Gretchen Becker called "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes". The writer seemed to think these are the best 2 books for learning to control blood sugar. So I'm back on Induction until I learn more from his book. Besides, I read that his diet is pretty much like Atkins so I'll have a good start by the time I get his book and can read it. I have made up my mind that I am going to get this blood sugar #s lower.

Fatmad I am with you on the exercise thing. If I was as good with it as I am about the food, I probably would already have better FBS. I am working on doing more everyday whether it is considered formal exercise or not.

Rosebud Back in TX when my previous hubby was still living, we had neighbors like that. Bill and the man across the street from us called the police a couple of times but it didn't do any good. I had to put up with it even after Bill died. One Sunday I came home from church and fire trucks had the street blocked off. They evidently had been doing drugs and accidently turned an electric space heater over and burned the house down. Finally met the young man after the fire and he seemed like a nice kid. He probably never realized the music and drums caused anybody any trouble. And of course if he was doing drugs, that didn't help either. Young people just don't think.

Ruth I'm cooking a beef roast today and since DH and I won't eat much of it, the leftovers will become my beef veggie soup that I have been so hungry for since you girls in cooler part of the world have been having it.

Linyloo, CandEs and everyone else

Have a great day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #39  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello, everyone! Sorry I've been MIA, but I just haven't been feeling great. I added some OP carbs, but I guess I just can't handle that yet. I might have to back off of them again. My Step MIL gave me some of her Freestyle strips, and I think I like my Walmart meter strips better. I don't know, but they don't seem to be working right. I wonder if she left them in her hot car while she went to a birthday party right before coming to my house. If she did, that might explain the funky readings I'm getting.

Trish, I know it's hard giving up carbs. I'm trying to stick with it, though. I just feel awful if I don't, and I'm not talking about the guilt. I physically feel bad. Good luck with your new book. Let us know if you find some useful tips!

Fatmad, my readings have been crazy, too. I hope it's just that these strips are bad. Exercise usually brings my BS right down. I know I need to do it more, but I've been busy and stressed.

Ruth, I will definitely ask you for a tour if I ever make it up there!

Rosebud, sorry about the noisy neighbors. We moved to the country to get away from living in a subdivision. It's very nice. Let us know how the muffins turn out.

Lindy, I've never heard of PGX. I was thinking of trying melatonin, too.

Y'all have a good day!! I have plenty of work to do around here.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #40  
Come on Spring!

Late check-in for me today. I woke in a panic at 5:30 worrying about all I had to do today. Tested my blood and it was 2.3!!! (41.4 USA) That's what that was all about. I can't figure why it dropped so low as I ate properly last night. Luckily I had some real gingerale and OJ on hand and it came back up quite quickly.

Weight was down another smidge this morning. It's going to be a long haul to get into the 180s!

I have an outside wedding to attend late tomorrow afternoon and it looks like we are going to have gorgeous weather. That's a good thing as they are getting married in a field with the reception in a barn. Shades of the 60s! I'm not sure what to wear but Indian cotton skirts and beads come to mind.

I hope we all have a great weekend.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #41  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, will be glad to share the recipe; I will try it out to see how they are. The recipe is very simple: no eggs, no sugar, no fat. Just 2 kinds of flour (whole wheat and all-purpose) + oat bran + a can of pure apple juice concentrate (thawed) + 1 cup water + 2 large granny smith apples (diced). It calls for a lot of flour and says it makes 12 large muffins; but I keep thinking it would make 12 giant muffins though. I may make mine a tad bit smaller ...

Well, the kiddies have cooled it a bit the last few nights; the GF went and stayed over at a friends place. They are out tonight so far ... yeah! We went out to our lot today and didn't get back until 8 pm and then had a late dinner. I was able to sleep in the bedroom after all. I have been trying to get 7-8 hours sleep which is optimum, but sometimes it is hard.

We finally had some lovely today; and it got up to 71 degrees too. Hope you all have a wonderful fall weekend ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-10-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #42  
Come on Spring!

Looking gorgeous out there this morning with a clear sunrise, a good day for a wedding.

My BGL is a decent 5.1 this morning - I'm still puzzling over yesterday's extreme low. I'd say my meter was wrong except for the strange feelings I had.

Right now I have potatoes cooking and eggs hard boiling as I prepare to do the Big Cook for today's wedding. I'm making small tomatoes stuffed with skorthalia, that garlic and potato mixture, and deviled eggs which people have decided are my specialty. The rest of the meal is BBQ plus salads so I should be OK.

Happy weekend! Let's enjoy the remains of summer and a glorious fall.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #43  
Madeleine

Hi everyone: just a brief check in. I did get out to exercise by taking a 35 minute trail walk with the dog and DH. better than nothing, but not a real workout.
BUt that was to help tire me out, so I would sleep well, but instead got onto a work jag, one after another. Just cat-naps between births. I am pretty tired but couldn't rest tonight. I have stuck to plan tho. As I have posted before, these are the times when I long to go off plan, both from the point of view of craving carbs, and because the low after a high carb meals helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. I also used to eat (and overeat) to stay awake.
Weight still at 169 today, and sugars no higher than 6 after meals. Haven't been able to get an accurate fasting glucose for the last couple of days due to odd sleep patterns.

Rosebud, I would talk to the neighbours. If they work odd hours and are disturbed by "daytime" activities, sometimes working out a schedule to accommodate them is helpful. (we don't cut our lawn until after noon on the weekends, so we don't wake them up)
Another moved the stereo off our shared wall when we were in a townhouse complex when we discussed the issue. I had them over for supper when their son had friends over. Have also had some that didn't work out so well too.
Trish, yes low carb is helpful, but its really hard to stick to. It DOES get easier over time tho, and more automatic, especially when you feel crummy when you go off plan. I am still addicted to sweets tho, don't know if that will ever end. Sugar free sweets are still sweets. And I have to keep the splenda to a dull roar or it stalls the weight loss.

have a good sunday everyone.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #44  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. It's "drooly" out there, a good day to cozy in and quilt or cook. I love rainy Sundays.

Survived the wedding really well by focusing on salads and one sausage without a bun and no roasted corn. After a word with the bartender, I drank diet gingerale all evening. He was cool. When anyone wanted to buy me a drink, he'd say "The usual for the lady". I even managed to avoid having one of the wedding cake cupcakes!

So imagine my surprise when when the scale shows a pound UP this morning. It must be water retention so I'll watch the salt today. I had a Greek salad for lunch yesterday and olives and feta...... I'm also wondering about the aspartame in the diet gingerale. BGL was 4.1.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #45  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Good morning everyone.............

I haven't posted in a few days. Kinda been down I guess. Probably had alot to do with my last day at work being this past Friday. I'm really going to miss the kids. Had to try to do alot of explaining to them why I was leaving. I do have about 3 weeks of paid leave that I am taking now. So I guess I am not really unemployed yet. I have not been sticking to my diet as well as I should and have not exercised in 4 days.

Well it's time to get back on track. I got up this morning and fasting blood sugar was 99. It's been a couple of weeks since I've see those kind of numbers. I'm guessing it was the stress. Ate a good breakfast and just finished my Leslie Sansone dvd of walk away the pounds. Did a 30 min 2 mile walk. I sure can tell I have not done any exercising in the past few days.
Got some chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw for supper tonight and I think I am going to cook up 2-3 different veggies to have in the fridge to heat up this week. Also need to tear up a head of lettuce. I do better if stuff is already ready to eat.

For those who advised me to go to the doctor I have an appt tomorrow. Will keep you posted as to what happens.

Thanks for listening
Leann
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote