Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default insurance

I was just stating on another thread that I wasn't claiming my glucose strips on my health insurance, tho its covered, because I don't test a lot (4 times a week now) and don't want any insurer to classify me as diabetic or pre-diabetic, I am afraid it will affect future insurability. Anyone else have these concerns or experience with being denied insurance due to diabetes? Is this a valid concern of mine?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #2  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I'm very concerned. We were trying to change our plan, and we were denied because my husband is 5 pounds over the acceptable weight. So now he has to go back to the doctor and weigh again (if he had just taken his boots off, we might not be dealing with this). I didn't want to be classified as pre-diabetic at this time because that might disqualify me too. I do want to go to a doctor, but I don't want it to affect my insurance. What am I supposed to do?
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Yes, I think this is worse in the US. Here is Canada, my overall health insurance is not affected, universal healthy insurance is just that, and I can't be denied. But my extended health plan might be, and they have already given me grief about so many things. Switching meds is a big deal etc. and I am not sure that I will have trouble when we switch extended insurers, which I think will happen soon. And many insurers will deny anything that was a "pre-existing" condition.
thanks for your input CandE, it sure is a worry for us isn't it?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

One of the (many!) reasons I'm trying to hard to control my pre-Diabetes is because I don't want to be labeled officially as Diabetic. With the advent of non-prescription glucose meters, and the tremendous amount of information on the Web, pre-Ds and some T2s may be able to control their disease without a diagnosis.

However, and it's a BIG however, I firmly believe that if your numbers are consistently above 140, you need to talk to your doc. High blood sugars can impact SO many parts of your body. Sometimes just a simple Metformin prescription can help tremendously in controlling BG. There are only some small proportion of people who are at the "lighter" end of the Diabetes spectrum and can control completely with diet and exercise. Many, many Ds just can't.

It's not a reflection on you. Diabetes is a fickle disease, and medicines and insulin are just tools in your toolbox, just as diet and exercise are. One of the best sites I know that lays all this out for you, all your options, etc. is Blood Sugar 101.

If you are not able to get your post-meal BG below 140 consistently with diet and exercise, GET TO THE DOCTOR!!!

Last edited by synger; 09-01-2010 at 04:02 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

My Insurance has guidelines on the # of times Diabetics Test. NIDDIM's are to Test once Daily, and IDDIM's three times Daily. My Physician ordered me to Test twice Daily, so they wanted me to mail my readings Monthly for 6 Month's to pay only a portion of the cost of Strips and Lancets. I'm stubborn and will NOT allow my Insurance Company to tell me how often I can Test, so am paying from my own pocket.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote