Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #1  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Default After lows

I'm just curious... do any of you after having low blood sugars feel the urge to stuff your face? Usually I'll eat something pretty fast acting then eat something with carbs in and sit it out for a while. Then I have uncontrollable urges to just stuff my face and once I start I cant stop. Does anybody else do this ?

Sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread! It should be under Diabetes Support.

Last edited by Spoz; 07-22-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just found your post SPOZ and moved it over to the Diabetes Support Forum.

In answer to yur question, you are doing the right thing -- take something to bring it up quickly and follow that with a decent mini-meal that has both carbs and some protein.

However . . . I don't always manage to do the right thing either -- it is indeed, very easy to find yourself facedown in the quart of ice-cream. You've just got to keep doing the best you can as much as you can . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/205/145

Height: 5'3"

I've always had to force myself to eat more after lows. I'll eat some, but just enough to get me back into the low normal range, but I'm simply *not* hungry. It usually takes me a couple of days to get out of the low normal range. The only times I really want to eat and eat ("face in the ice cream" scenario) are when my glucose levels are already running high.
tofuhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/196/150

Height: 5'4"

I find that after the quick burst needed to get my BG above 70 again I go a bit too high and then have cravings for more carbs and get so tired I've no energy to do anything. Its a wicked cycle.
I wish I could figure out why I'm going so low (yesterday was 52) so that I could avoid them.
CookD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

When are the lows happening -- is there a pattern?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I have strange lows. I will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, go downstairs only thinking I'm having a glass of orange juice....Then morning comes. I've made my way back to bed, and I get up only to find around 4 or 5 mini chocolate bar wrappers, or half of my treat gumgum bear box empty!

But I only remember drinking the juice....though, I can always taste my sneaky treats when I wake up...

Difference is, I suffer from petite mal space out seizures, so I don't know really what exactly happens when I try to treat my low blood sugars.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I do it all the time and it is always in the middle of the night. Personally, I get to thinking, ok I have to eat to stay awake so I don't go into a coma. Even though I have drank my juice or had some glucose tabs, I feel like I need to keep eating to stay alive. and it is so hard to control in the middle of the night when your BS is 50 and your half asleep. I am sure this is why I have a hard time losing weight. I have certain food too, like toast, cereal and granola bars. I actually have to keep this stuff at work so I don't eat in the middle of the night.
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote