Old 07-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Default Diabetes Alert Service Dog

Hi y'all ^_^ I've come back from a recent bout of getting laid off and whatnot.

I finally got rid of my job as it was driving my blood sugar/pressure up the wall.

I've started noticing in the past 3 months or so...I can't feel when my blood sugar is going low. I remember reading about a company in California who have taught service dogs how to alert an individual well in advance of a low or spike in bloog glucose levels.

I have also read about the other benefits to having a service dog, such as companionship, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any orginizations in the UK that offer these animals. If not, I'll have to wait until we move back to the USA, or learn to train my own.

any help or opinion on the subject is appreciated!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good to hear from you . . .

I've been having similar problems lately -- by the time I think I'm going low, I discover I've bounced up high.

I've never heard of any BGL service animals in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter -- but sure sounds like a great idea -- especially for a type I like you.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

http://www.dogs4diabetics.com/

I was sent this site by a friend of mine, and I cannot seem to find anything similar for the UK, but it sounds as though it would be a big help to me. No more half fainting down the produce aisle at the grocery store. It would also aid my driving, as I would be alerted well in advance, so I could pull over safely and handle it. I have spoken to my GP about continuous monitoring, but out in the UK, they wont let you have these monitors unless its for a hospital assessment test, and even then its only for a week.

Besides, I feel that continuous monitors would do me more harm than help. Always having my sugar level there in front of me, when testing my glucose levels is part of my before and after meal routine. I have heard some accounts of individuals with these Service Dogs who feel motivated to check their levels and maintain a good balance of diet and exercise so they don't ruin the training of the animal. They also provide something I've been lacking a lot over the past two years...companionship.

Thanks for the welcome back, meowee Its been a long time, but I'm always happy to have your help and advice.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote