Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #1  
zoeybug

S/C/G: 271.2/271.2/140

Height: 5'3"

Default recently diagnosed type 2...

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 2 last Wednesday...my doctor put me on actomet(i think) I am very worried about the potential side effects... paranoid is more like it. I'm so worried I don't want to take it. Has anyone had problems with this medicine? I should probably be more worried about the effects of diabetes and what I need to do to help it.

Any comforting words would be greatly apprieciated.

I just recieved my Sugarbusters book. Any advice on this eating plan...I'm a little confused...seems too easy.

thanks,

Amy
zoeybug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #2  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

Go to the Sugar Shakers forum and click on the Sugar Busters link. I have never had diabetes, but I was addicted to sugar at one time. I've lost 57 pounds since January following this way of eating. It is very simple and very effective. Best of luck to you!
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi ZOEY . . . . . . glad you found us, Chickie -- we are all here for you.

I have no direct experience with anything called Actomet but it sounds like it is a combination of Actos and Metformin and I have lots of experience with those. Actos has a few risks attached to it for anyone with a history of heart problems, but maybe not in a mixture with the Metformin. Don't imagine your doctor would have prescribed it if there was a problem for you. Metformin is a wonderful drug -- probably one of the few that does not cause weight loss to slow down like most of the others do. It can take a bit to get used to and at first may cause some 'runny tummy' troubles although it never did for me.

As well as Sugar Busters there are several other low GI/GL plans out there and all of them are very good for controlling the blood sugar swings that so characterize Type II diabetes.

Also hope you will come and chat with us in the Dieting with Diabetes thread and don't forget to give us a little more background information up in the "Getting to Know You" Sticky at the top of the forum when you get a chance.

See you later . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #4  
zoeybug

S/C/G: 271.2/271.2/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for your replies. I just needed some encouragment.

zoeybug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Here's another article that you might like to have a look at . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/specia...-diabetes.aspx
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #6  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Hi, all!

Meowee, how awesome to see you here!

I was diagnosed with type 2 last week (although my doc and I suspect I actually have had it since February) and am already feeling better and my numbers are going down.

I take Metformin and the little green pill that starts with a "G."

Also, Richard Simmons' FoodMover is based on the ADA exchange plan. I bought a FoodMover several years back to use, and never used it. I found it in my desk drawer and remembered seeing something about it being useful for diabetics and looked it up. Sure enough, what I remembered was correct. I have it with me and am using it. One thing I really like about it is that it has calorie cards that you put in the FoodMover that show how many exchanges in the little windows. The booklet tells which card to use based on how much you weigh, so that you gradually reduce your caloric intake (if you need to) over time and lose up to 2 pounds a week.

The worst part of this whole experience (although it seems funny now) was the first time I had to stick myself. I am a complete wuss (they have to use a butterfly to draw blood at the doc's office) so the idea of sticking my finger with a sharp instrument for the purpose of drawing blood -- well, ewwww.

After a few minutes of getting my courage up to do it, I managed to actually get a good sample and test it. I didn't even FEEL the stick! Now I call my lancet device my "Dracula-ometer" and track those numbers religiously.

I am also finding it interesting that a lot of people I know are diabetic, and I didn't know they were until I mentioned that I had it.

We call each other "Sticky Fingers" and get a big laugh out of it.

Glad to have found this area. More later!
waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote