Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #1  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes

Have any of you tried this? In my reading up on it, it's a vegan diet. I'm wondering if anyone has any antecdotal evidence of bring blood sugar down.

I've just gone vegetarian, looking to see if vegan is the way for me to go (ha! from a former Atkins follower)
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

You can eat low carb and vegan ( I am). I LOVE Dr. Barnard. I fully recommend following his plan.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

As Soul said, you can eat a vegetarian diet and still control your carbohydrate intake which is an absolute must for your diabetes situation. However you get your carbs and however many of them you choose to eat, just remember that from the diabetes point of view, you need to balance them as evenly across the day as possible.

Good Luck with your new regimen.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #4  

My husband's PCP recommended Dr. Barnard's program when my DH was first diagnosed. He did a complete vegan, low carb diet for a month and had good results but was really, really frustrated with it. I can see the great health benefits but it was too tough for my steak loving guy.
kirsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I am reading the book and I find it very interesting. Honestly, I would highly recommend reading the book for anyone who is at risk for diabetes or has insulin resistance. I follow a vegan diet although I have to say it was a build up over years and finally just not liking meat anymore. I even had the thought today that I will never have to worry about how to cook a steak (someone was trying to get me to cook them steak but it was one thing I could never seem to do right).

Basically the diet is low fat (no animal fats) and low GI diet. I don't have diabetes but because of insulin 'issues' as I like to call them, I try to be aware of information relating to insulin 'issues'. Personally since I started following a vegan diet, I haven't had any issues. No hypoglycemia, reduced PCOS symptoms, etc.

I'm basically just reading the book for information as I do already follow my own plan.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote