Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #1  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Default Carrot Cake Frozen Yogurt

So, I was in a store the other day and saw an ice cream machine on sale for $15. I had been wanting to get one, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I bought it -- realizing that it could very well sit around and gather dust for a while. But over the weekend I experimented with some different recipes. I made a simple strawberry frozen yogurt first, which came out pretty good. Then I made a chocolate peanut butter froyo with PB2 and cocoa powder.

But then I got fancy. In looking for recipes I stumbled upon a book by David Lebovitz called "The Perfect Scoop." Most of the recipes are very decadent. But there was one in particular that I wanted to try to replicate, as best I could, with low carb, low fat, and low calories substitutes. It was a carrot cake ice cream. Here is an article in the LA Times that has the recipe: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...ec1c-2009apr01

The recipe is in separate sections because you have to make different components of the recipe before you combine them together. I also simplified the recipe, focusing mostly on replicating the candied carrots. I didn't worry about the currants or the pecans.

For the candied carrots, I used Walden Farms pancake syrup as a substitute for light syrup, and stevia for the sugar. They came out really well.

For the ice cream base, as a substitute for the sour cream, I used Fage' 0% Greek Yogurt. I put in about half of the cream cheese that the recipe calls for and used whipped cottage cheese for the remainder. It still had a very pronounced cream cheese flavor, so I'm thinking that maybe I can cut it back even more -- or maybe substitute the cottage cheese for it altogether. I added a little bit of 1% milk to the mixture because it was very, very thick. For sweetener substitutes, I used Stevia and Brown Sugar Twin. The ice cream base recipe doesn't contain all of the needed flavors because they're in the pecans and currants. So, because I was omitting those two things, I added my spices directly to the base mixture. I also couldn't help but to tinker with the recipe. I added cinnamon and all spice - to taste. I also added in a little of the WF pancake syrup to taste. I may have even put a little bit of the brown sugar twin in there.

Anyway, I chilled it for a few hours and ran it through the ice cream maker. The "batter" so thick, the mixer stopped about 5 minutes in! I had to stop it and mix it by hand with a spoon! So if you make this, make sure that your batter isn't too thick. Also, make sure that the machine is running before you start pouring in the batter. I think that was part of my problem. Because it starts to freeze immediately when you put it in, it built up a thin "wall" of ice cream on the side of the bucket.

After it was done churning, I added in the candied carrots that had been chilling in the fridge. I also tossed in a hand full of raisins -- even though I know they are high in sugar. I was REALLY good. You'd never be able to guess that it was low calorie. Low carb is easy with all of the sugar substitutes out there. But its hard to do low carb AND low fat. But you'd be hard pressed to tell this was low fat. The fat free Greek yogurt is a perfect substitute for the sour cream that the recipe calls for, and the whipped cottage cheese is a good sub for I (most, if not all, of) the cream cheese.

I will most definitely be making this again!

Last edited by joefla70; 05-06-2013 at 09:43 AM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

This sounds amazing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE carrot cake and never eat it. It's my absolute favorite. Did you figure any of the carbs in?
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

What's your ice cream base recipe there? And did you just add the candied carrots and that's it? I just bought a Kitchen Aid ice cream bowl attachment last month and have only made one batch for my SO, and would love to make something low carb for myself...
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #4  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
This sounds amazing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE carrot cake and never eat it. It's my absolute favorite. Did you figure any of the carbs in?
Not yet. I have to try to deconstruct it first and figure out what I actually did, because I kinda winged it! I'm going to try to do that now.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #5  
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
What's your ice cream base recipe there? And did you just add the candied carrots and that's it? I just bought a Kitchen Aid ice cream bowl attachment last month and have only made one batch for my SO, and would love to make something low carb for myself...
I basically used two different recipes and borrowed from both, and added some things on my own.

For the candied carrots I used David's recipe (with modifications to substitute for the sugar and syrup).

For the base ice cream recipe, I used parts of David Lebowitz' recipe: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...ec1c-2009apr01

and part of this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/carrot-cake-ice-cream-243299

David's base is pretty basic because he relies on the add-ins for a big part of the flavor. So, the only items I utilized (with modifications) from his recipe are the sour cream and the cream cheese. I completely replaced the sour cream with equal parts of Fage 0% Greek yogurt. The recipe calls for 8oz of cream cheese. I used less than that (I'm guessing between 4 and 6oz), and substituted in some Friendship whipped 1% cottage cheese -- and the result was a very cream cheesy taste. So, next time I think I'll use even less cream cheese -- maybe only a couple oz - and replace the rest with the whipped cottage cheese.

From the Food.com recipe I used the maple syrup (subbed WF Pancake Syrup and used about 1tbsp); brown sugar (subbed brown sugar twin in correct conversion amount); salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. I think I put in a few tbsp of stevia (I use the Pure Via that is scoopable) to taste. I also added in about 1tsp of allspice (be careful with that because its very potent!). I also added in some 1% milk because it was very thick. Oh, and I also put in a 1/8 tsp of xhantam gum as a stabilizer, but its not necessary. Its just supposed to help it not freeze into a block in your freezer. But that seems to happen anyway! David recommends putting 2 - 3 tsbp of liquor in the mix to keep it from freezing solid in your freezer. But I've never tried that. A dark rum might be good in this recipe. For others, when you don't want the taste of an alcohol to be present, you could use vodka. I understand that you can't taste it in the ice cream.

I used a hand/stick style immersion blender to mix up all of the ingredients. I then chill the mix in the fridge until its ready to go in the ice cream machine. After you mix up the ice cream, you can add in the carrots by hand. I did not do the nuts because I did not have any -- and I am not a huge fan of nuts in carrot cake anyway. But it would certainly be low carb if you wanted to add them to the recipe -- as long as you used substitute sweeteners. The hard part is the raisins / currants. Those are full of sugar. I put a few in mine, but I will probably avoid them in the future.