Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/174.5/140

Height: 5-3

Default Cupcake Throwdown

I discovered the recipe where you simply mix 1 boxed cake mix w/12 oz diet soda yesterday and was amazed at the concept and couldn't wait to try it. So today I bought a yellow cake mix and a bottle on diet cream soda. (I bought a chocolate mix and diet cherry soda to try too.)

I decided to divide the mix into 2 equal portions, so I could make just 12 cupcakes and so I only used 6 oz of the cream soda. The cake mix was 24 points (for half of the box) and 0 for the soda. Yielding 2 point cupcakes.

For a fun taste test, I thought I'd make the other half of the mix according to the box directions and substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil and use 1 egg (the box calls for 3 eggs for the entire mix) and the appropriate amt of water. So the points in this version was cake 24 + applesauce 0 + egg 2 = 26. Yielding 2 point cupcakes.

The kids had a blast with the cupcake throwdown.

The verdict, 3 out of 4 of us preferred the applesauce version. But my little boy sure did like the Soda cupcakes.

Last edited by sally1019; 02-22-2013 at 12:28 AM.
sally1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1019 View Post
I discovered the recipe where you simply mix 1 boxed cake mix w/12 oz diet soda yesterday and was amazed at the concept and couldn't wait to try it. So today I bought a yellow cake mix and a bottle on diet cream soda. (I bought a chocolate mix and diet cherry soda to try too.)For a fun taste test, I thought I'd make the other half of the mix according to the box directions and substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil and use 1 egg (the box calls for 3 eggs for the entire mix) and the appropriate amt of water. So the points in this version was cake 24 + applesauce 0 + egg 2 = 26. Yielding 2 point cupcakes.
The verdict, 3 out of 4 of us preferred the applesauce version. But my little boy sure did like the Soda cupcakes.
I've made a cake from scratch and subbed applesauce for the oil, then divided into 12 squares (with apricots on bottom) and I think it came out to 4 points per square.
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #3  
Loving Simply Filling

S/C/G: 195/161.4/164

Height: 5'8"

I read a recipe similar to this for cobbler.

You get 2 bags of frozen fruit. 1 box of cake mix and 1 bottle of diet soda.

Put the fruit in a 10x13 pan, pour the dry cake mix over the fruit then pour the diet soda over the cake mix. Bake for 30 mins at 350. Do not mixup the cake and soda or you will get a cake like topping.

For 12 pieces it is 4pts.

Have not tried it yet but will soon.
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote