Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Question Depressed or truly bored?

I am taking Prozac and feel generally happy, but also bored with a lot of things. Nothing on TV is of interest to me and hasn't been for months. Nothing seems to keep my attention very well. My job, which really is a boring job - sitting and typing all day with earphones in my ears - seems almost intolerable to me now.

I can't decide if I am depressed or if I truly just need to change my scenery. I don't feel like I have to use my brain much in my daily life and I sit waytoo much. As long as I am up and moving, I'm happy. But I want to be on the go most of the time, and cleaning my house, while moving, doesn't seem to motivate me much. I would be perfectly happy just exercising and playing with my kids all day, but obviously, we adults have lots more to do than that.

What do you think? Depressed or bored?
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #2  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Maybe your dosage needs some tweaking? Let your medical provider know how you're feeling - they might offer some insight. Although life can get pretty boring and repetitive sometimes...

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #3  

i think that if you're able to experience happiness then you're probably not depressed

it seems to me that if keeping busy and occupied is working for you and improving your state of mind that it would be good to look at projects you can get involved in and goals you can set for yourself.

hmmm could you exercise and play with your kids all day? is there a way of changing your situation so that is workable? maybe working from home e.g. minding kids in your own home or working different hours, different type of job etc etc. worth looking into.
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #4  
Getting back on track

Thanks for your suggestions - I may look into both of those things actually -up my medication some (it is a very low dose) and try to change jobs. I work at home by myself and I am so tired of being alone all day and sitting all day. I really want to work around other people and be able to move around more throughout the day. My job as a transcriptionist requires me to sit with earphones in my ears and type, non-stop. So there's no getting up or back and forth - just sitting, and no other people around. I am definitely a people person. I'm going to start looking - TODAY - for something else.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #5  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I hope you can find a job that will make you happier!! I know I'd feel pretty lonely if I had a job like that. I'm a social person so I know when I'm older I want to have a social job or at least good reasons to get out of the house. Maybe you could sign up for yoga or aerobics classes? That way you can get out, interact with others, and exercise at the same time!

Good luck <3
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #6  

good luck with the job hunting
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #7  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

I've done that. Transcription and data entry have got to be some of the most boring jobs I've done. Not to mention, like you said, you're stuck at the desk, and it just progresses your carpal tunnel syndrome. It's even worse when you don't have any sunlight. (This seems to be my perpetual problem with working - I never get to see the light of day!)

Back when I was on Zoloft for about a year, I don't think I ever did get the dosage right... I stopped feeling depressed, but I stopped... feeling. I just didn't care, and like you said, everything seemed kinda grey-scale and boring. I think it helped me realize what's worth getting upset over, and what's not, though. So, while I haven't been on Zoloft for probably 8 or 9 years now, I think I have a better handle on life in general, and realize that "Yeah, this is boring, but it's not worth getting upset over." Or "Yeah, this job is boring, but it's better than being unemployed."

I find myself doing a lot of, "this too shall pass..." and deep breathing exercises...

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #8  
Getting back on track

Thanks Janis - Did you change to a different line of work? I mean, I don't expect life to be exciting all the time, but transcription is getting the best of me. Plus, I'm not making much money at it, and my family needs the income right now. I think I'd rather be cleaning houses or reading meters - I'd make more and I'd be out and about and not sitting all day!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I used to be a SAHM. Even now I come home when my older boys are home from school. I suggest besides doing your job and playing with your kids, get involved with a parent play group, find time for yourself doing whatever you want outside of the house, and go to a gym to work out (if you can afford it) just to get a change of scenery.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote