Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #1  

Default Wednwsday, Feb. 1

Good evening everyone

I am starting this before I go to bed. I flew into Vancouver on Sunday morning....to visit my DGD, DS1 & his DW.....Claire will be 6 months old on Feb. 6....she is doing good....she was a premie....she went to the doctor today....& she weighs 15 lbs. 4 oz. now,
She laughs & giggles & give me big grins.....she is so sweet.

I am feeling good....using my small blue wave light every morning.

I noticed I put a w in Wednesday instead of an e....but I couldn't change it.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:18 AM   #2  

hi april... what is a blue wave light? sounds interesting
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning Girlies *giggle*

How are you today? April its ALWAYS so nice when some one starts the threads... THANK YOU !!! Wowee Clair is getting so big.. pictures?

Sweetpea, blue light is light therapy... light box. Lots of people speak highly of it. I'm tempted to get one.

Its hump day girls... we're almost there.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang

April - I like Wednesday with a W in it - it's different ;-) I'm so glad that Claire is doing well and that you got to spend some time with your family.

Hey Sweetpea - what ya up to today?

Leenie - yep it's Wednesday. I have a haircut tomorrow morning and my contacts came in :cl: so I'll be getting them fitted on Friday morning. woooohoooo

busy at work today - gotta run

later gaters
hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  

Happy Wednesday everyone. I can't believe it's the middle of the week already! Goes fast when you're having fun I guess.

April, It's nice to meet you! I'm glad that your grandbaby is healthy and getting stong. 6 months old is such a fun age, I think. They fill out and just get so cuddly. How does your light work? I'd be interested to hear more about this. Enjoy your visit with family!

Hi Sweet Pea, great to meet ya. How's your day so far?

Leenie, YES we're almost there!! I hope you're having a super week so far!

Cathy, nice to meet you too! Woo hoo, a hair cut! New hairstyle? You just reminded me, I need to order new contacts! Have a great day at work.

I have had a really great week all around. I have started my exercising again full throttle and I am utterly amazed at how great it's making me feel all over. Especially mentally. Altho', who knows, maybe it's all the Rx's I take!
No, seriously, I am contemplating switching one of my AD's. I have been on Effexor XR for about 4 months (300mgs) and I think it may be starting to poop out. Besides, I don't know how much I can stand all the sweating I do whenever I exert myself in the slightest bit. Argh! I use this Rx for OCD as well and I still am finding relief for that, but for the depression...I think I'm going downward. Not sure what to do. I hate trying new stuff, it takes so long to get acclimated. Is anyone feeling my pain here?
Will have to talk to the doc about this I suppose. Anyone have any reccomendations or experience with other meds? Preferrably something that won't make me gain anymore weight! I've tried Zoloft(made me feel like a zombie) and Wellbutrin(made me hungrier than I've ever felt before), so any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!

Well, just finished a workout and need to get some water in and a snack. A busy day ahead so I better get going.
Have a super day everyone! It's really great to meet all of you, I look forward to getting to know you all well.

~Be Good To You~
desertdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #6  

hi all
thanks for explaining the blue light Leenie. i have heard of light therapy and i know i feel happier on sunny days altho it's not lasting. i feel happy and am more productive while i'm in the sun and for only a short time after. even tho it's summer it has been raining for about 10 days and i am thoroughly sick of it! it makes it harder to exercise too as my focus is on walking with the dogs. today i will have to do dancing or something else indoors

but now i have another question lol what is hump day

hi danielle. i am interested to hear about your side effects on efexor as i am just starting on it. i did take it a couple of years ago but it wasn't the sustained release version. i pray that i don't get extra sweating as i already perspire far too much. it's too early to tell as it has been muggy and wet ever since i've been taking the pills.

i have depression with anxiety and OCD tendencies (not the full blown thing thankfully) and celexa is the only other Rx that was any help but it gave me nightmares. unfortunately its taken 4-5 years of nightmares to work that out. i find efexor much much better for my appetite than celexa. the noreprenine suppressor definitely helps...

i am up early today as i didn't sleep much last night but i will probably go back to bed in an hour or so. not much to do as it is humid and raining heavily. i am getting a massage later today. other than that i will be reading a murder mystery book and trying to declutter and organise my office which is a total mess. i've been trying to organise it for weeks. i look at stuff and just don't seem to be able to work out what to do with it.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Everyone

Everyone sounds so busy!

April - Have a wonderful visit with your family I hope the rain clouds break for you and you get some sunshine.

Hi Sweetpea! What kind of a summer are you having? My dad was born in TeAwamutu and raised in Hamilton, where my grandparents lived until they passed away.

Danielle - Congrats on getting your exercise in. I take paxil for my anxiety and OCD, I don't think it has helped much for the depression though and it has helped me gain quite a bit of weight. Sorry, I'm no help. I just started with the light box to see if that will help with the sleep and depression stuff.

Hi Cathy - enjoy your haircut, a little pampering can go a long way.

Hi Leenie - Good Morning to you too! You are always so bright a cheerful in the morning! A little ray of sunshine, thank you

Well, we are lacking sunshine here this mornning. Its snowing again. It does look pretty when the sun is out though.
My DD13 is home from school sick, its just a head cold but it sure hit her hard. She wanted to go to school this morning as she has a test, but I wouldn't let her. When I called the school they asked if it was a sore throat as there are a lot of children absent.

Well I should get going and get something done today.

have a great day everyone!
Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #8  

buddly your daughter sounds a rarity wanting to go to school when she's sick!

the summer here has been great until now. it's been almost a drought, a prolonged period without rain and now we're getting the rain in concentrated doses. i'm not one of these people who says it's good to get some rain, i'm fine with hand watering the garden and having an endless summer admittedly when i lived in the country i needed water for the tank but it was just me with a big tank so i wasn't too worried.

i kind of miss the country but i had sound reasons for moving closer to town. i was hiding out at home and never going anywhere and i had a good excuse as the driving was stressful. i am much more social and i need to do that. part of that was because i forced myself even when i lived there. it took me a long time tho. i kept saying i would do 1 social event each week but it was a struggle to force myself. i have less excuses here. but i miss the peace and quiet and space
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Well, this is late for Wednesday but better late than not, eh?

Things have been going steady on the weight loss front here. I have been struggling with some things and I typed my symptoms into google and I think that I have post partum depression. It isn't horrible but when it hits it is not a pretty sight.. it goes in waves. Anxiety, depression, impending sense of doom, etc. Like.. I want to enroll in massage school for august but I am convinced that there is a measureable chance that it may not matter anyway because we may be wiped out by bird flu. I won't go to church or take the kids to any public places, playgroups, birthday parties, etc. because I am terrified that they will get sick or be the victem of a terrorist attack. I won't ride as a passenger in anyones car because I am terrified of being in a car crash. (I am okay to drive though). Sometimes I say hateful, horrid things and just want to "leave" or run away but I then come to my senses a short time later..or after a nights sleep and it all just seems like a bad dream..but it is not..it is what I did/said/etc.

It is not all the time.. I have great, awesome days..and the exercise is helping to even things out..but it still is an issue.

Medication is not an issue and therapy either..because I have zero insurance. (And I don't want to be a guinia pig for a med student or the state). I am hoping this passes soon.
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #10  

Good evening everyone

I had a good day today.....friends that used to live where I live....took me out to lunch.....we went to Earl's.....had a really nice lunch.
Then I came home....for most of the day....I played with Claire.....cuddled her....fed her & laughed when she laughed. Last time when I was here her hair fell out....it does sometimes.....now some of her hair is growing in blond....my DS3 had blond hair when he was a baby.....until he was 3 or 4.
I went to Costco to pick up a prescription later in the day.

Sweet_Pea.....the blue wave light is different than my regular light box...it seems to help me better than my regular light box....it is small & portable.....I brought it with me while I am near Vancouver.

Dessertdreamer.....I use my blue light around 8 in the morning.....if DH & I are up at 7 A.M. to meet friends for coffee at 8....then I bring it in the bathroom....while I get washed up.....I put a couple of thick books on the counter....so the light is about 20" away from the face....it works with the peripheral vision....it isn't put directly in front of the face....but at an angle. I use it 1st thing in the morning after I wake up.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #11  

april that blue box sounds really interesting. i've never heard of it hear in new zealand so it may not be available here. i will keep my eyes open to find out about it. do you plug it in to a power outlet? glad you had a nice lunch

today i had a massage but i spent most of the time tense and worried that my puppy would escape as she escaped last time i went out. i have put chairs and iron in front of the gap but i knew she might try to pull it out of the way. so that made it hard to relax and enjoy the massage. but in the end i did relax and it was good

did the groceries and now i'm going to make dinner if i can keep my hands out of the box of chocolates long enough to get to it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Snoopysgirl - I want to be sure that you see the message I am posting to you right now on the Thursday thread.
you can pm me if you would like.
hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote