Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #16  

hey there - pumpingiron how did you get on at with the doc? i have been on meds a long time. as others have said it is not usually the total solution. sometimes it is all you need to help stabilise you while you sort other things out other times CBT or other talk therapy can help. for me i had to try a few different meds to get the right ones for me. i have recently changed them again as i was having nightmares so it is an ongoing process but one step at a time

bloodbought - i hope you have been able to find a solution. taking a pill for depression is no different to taking aspirin for headaches or medication for bloodpressure diabetes etc. i would like to encourage you to keep an open mind. also if you visit the doctor you may find the solution lies elsewhere. until your doc has checked you and eliminated other causes such as physical problems you can not be sure.

SherryA - i am not sure if you have experienced depression but I'd like to say that altho your advice is correct at a rational or logical level i felt it lacked empathy. sure action and loving ourselves is the answer, and you gave a very peppy list of action items but i felt your advice lacked support and empathy ...
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:51 AM   #17  

p.s. duseldorf - well done for tackling your addictions.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #18  

Would you believe I am still waiting to get in and see her??????
Sheesh, good thing my depression is not more severe
pumpingiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet pea
hey there - pumpingiron how did you get on at with the doc? i have been on meds a long time. as others have said it is not usually the total solution. sometimes it is all you need to help stabilise you while you sort other things out other times CBT or other talk therapy can help. for me i had to try a few different meds to get the right ones for me. i have recently changed them again as i was having nightmares so it is an ongoing process but one step at a time

Would you believe I am still waiting to get in and see her??????
Sheesh, good thing my depression is not more severe
Old 02-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #20  

OMG!!! what a long wait. are you doing ok at thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhe moment?>
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
OMG!!! what a long wait. are you doing ok at thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhe moment?>
I am trying not to think about things too much. As soon as I do I get anxious. Trying to focus on family and work to keep me sidetracked, but in the meantime the house is a wreck, the bills are barely getting paid (and I have the money...go figure) and I feel like I don't care about too much anymore. Gosh, I hope they get to the bottom of this and not just prescribe pills.
One more week to go......
Old 02-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #22  

i shouldn't laugh but that sounds so like me. i go through periods like that. don't even bother showering just wear the same clothes for days, dishes pile up, my desk gets covered in stuff i don't know what to do with hehe

yes keeping busy is a good idea and giving yourself little projects to sort stuff out. i just give myself 20 mins at a time to do stuff. dancing helps me feel better. good luck
Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #23  

Almost all the time. Early treatment of these symptoms is very important. Making that first appointment is a great first step.
Lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #24  

So I finally went today to get my bloodwork drawn and hopefully will know by Monday! The Doc. seemed to strongly suspect my thyroid, because at first she said she would prescribe antidepressants, but as we talked more, she didn't think they would be necessary. (She said she just had a case last week where the thyroid meds helped a woman's depression because it was just related to being hypo)
*sigh* almost there.....
Old 02-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #25  

that's great news

there is some stuff on thyroid on the depression thread in the sticky section. around post 30 i think??? not sure

good luck
Old 02-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Pumpingiron - I am so glad to hear that your doc seemed to think it was your thyroid and is checking into it! But do you happen to know if she is going to run the exact blood tests that I had listed for you?
Whatever bloodwork they ran - could you please get a copy of your results (they should give you a copy when you ask - it is YOUR bloodwork) and if you wouldn't mind would you let me take a look at your numbers.
I'm only trying to help if I can.
thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #27  

Sure Cathy..I don't mind. I should know Monday. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #28  

i hope your doc gets to the bottom of it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #29  

I am STILL waiting. I called Monday evening..."Sorry, doc has not looked at the results yet, we'll call you tomorrow morning."
I call at 11:50 Tues. AM "Doc has not looked at them, and she is leaving at noon. WHY? They all look normal." I said even the thyroid?? "Uhhh.....that one isn't here. Maybe it got stuck to another piece of paper."

SOMEBODY TELL ME JUST WHAT THE I AM SUPPOSED TO DO???

Clearly they couldn't give a rat's a$$. I am at the end of my rope.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

pumpingiron - i am so very sorry for your struggles with this. i know sometimes it is like pulling teeth with these doctors.

girl - tie a great big knot in the end of the rope and hang on for dear life! ok! don't ya dare give up!!!!!!

Could you please call your doc's office and ask them to give you a copy of your bloodwork. if it is nearby you, you could go pick it up - or have them mail it if you want to wait that long. they may not want to give it to you until the doc sees it first - fine - but at some point they should give you a copy - bec it is YOUR bloodwork.

once you get a copy could you let me know and we can take a look at it (if you don't mind) - if they ran the correct thyroid tests we may be able to see something.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote