Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

That experience sounds creepy. Not so much the weed guy (because you are in a mental health facility, some will be off their rocker), but the case worker's comments.

As far as seeing a social worker, if you go to a county funded place (and maybe other places) that is standard procedure. Usually they just gather info and refer you to the phychiatrist. I've had 2 phychiatrists (in 2 different states) so far they have been fine. They do ask certain standard questions and typically much more in depth. That's so they can get an accurate diagnosis. The wrong one can put you on a medicine or treatment plan that sounds reasonable but is all wrong for you. It is not a judgement.

The best thing is to walk in with a list so you can think of things you would like to share both experiences and questions. Ask questions as you go along. You might be suprised at some of the answers.

One thing I really loved about my first doctor is that she knew my diagnosis but knew I was ambivelent about it. She ASKED me have I ever thought that I was bipolar instead of depressed. I had and told her and asked a bunch of questions of why I was doubting it, but in the end she simply said, we don't make diagnoses overnight (yeah sometimes they do) so go home and ask people, do some research, write down your thoughts and come back and tell me what you think. I came back the second time and she said DEFINATELY. When I was leaving the state, I asked to see my medical records. She already knew at the first appt, she was just giving me time to get used to the idea. I went to the 2nd one without medical records and he asked me questions and said the same thing. Prior to that I was being seen by general MDs and they all said Depression because they never asked the other questions.

In the end, don't be afraid to accept things because it makes things easier in the long run even if it is rough initially. Just think of it like this: Diabetics have lifelong treatments (not saying you will, I don't diagnose), which some reject and some accept and work on the treatment plan. In the end, rejection costs you life or life quality. Which is better?
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote