Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #1  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

Default celexa and energy loss

I have been perscribed celexa for Anxiety&depression and since I have started taking it I have been tired all the time. And I'm not talking about a little groggy you can wake up from by going for a run. I'm talking about 200 lb sand bags on my shoulders feeling tired. I tried to run the other day. Ran 2 mins and went back to walking. Even walking 10 min seemed like forever.

I had been losing sleep because of anxiety. Now I get enough sleep, I just can't ever fully wake up. This is effecting my exercise, I hate it.

Anyone else know anything about this?
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #2  

It could be the wrong type med--I used Prozac for a couple of years and suddennly found I got super tired. Needed a nap to recover from my nap. I can't take anything in that family anymore.

Last edited by tcstart; 04-21-2005 at 09:14 PM.
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #3  

How much Celexa are you on? The fall of 2003 , winter & spring of 2004 I was on Celexa...40 mg....on that amount....I was sleeping in until 9:30 or 10 A.M.....couldn't stay awake in the afternoon....usually had a 2 hour nap in the afternoon....then couldn't stay awake in the evening....so I was usually sleeping 4 to 5 hour extra in a day.

Now I am on 20 mg. of Celexa....I do notice it is harder to wake up in the morning since I have been back on the Celexa for the last 5 weeks...if I am not going out that morning...i will end up sleeping in until between 8 & 9:30 A.M.....the counselor I see said sometimes it is better to put up with side effects if the antidepressant is making you feel better.....they often lessen as time goes on...I am feeling a lot better.

If you absolutely can't take this side effect....there are lots of other antidepressants out there.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #4  
jammin on the bandwagon

I am just getting started on celexa so I am only taking 10 mg's right now. I am going to the full dose of 20mg's tonight. The anxiety is definatly much more under control now, which is great. Maybe the sleepiness will go away with time.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #5  

I have been on antidepressants before....so in March....when I knew I had to go back on the Celexa....I went on 5 mg. for 3 days....then went to 10 mg. for a few weeks....then to 20 mg.

Yes....maybe the sleepyness will go away with time....did the doctor say to go on 20 mg....so soon?

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #6  
jammin on the bandwagon

oops I forgot to say that I have been on the 10 mg's for the past days. And then, yes I was told by doc to up amnt to 20mgs. I think that is standard. My DW is on zoloft and that was how the doc had her do it too.

Thanks all for your insight. I thought I was going crazy for a minute there.