Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #16  
prepare for the BEST time

when i take ativan, it takes about 2-2.5 hours to get through my system. I don't think it is fast-acting like Ambien....also, it depends on how much you have eaten. (they recommend an empty stomach in my brochure from the pharmacy)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #17  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Wellbutrin was okay for me, it was Zoloft that made me have bad thoughts...scary.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #18  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I talked to the dr today about my husband's symptoms especially the dizziness and she said as long as it is managable to keep taking the med but she doesn't want him to increase the dosage for another week. I've talked to him on the phone a couple of times today and he sounds better than yesterday, I just hope nothing sets him off on the drive home and maybe he'll have a better night than yesterday.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #19  
Curvy Vixen

I took wellbutrin on and off for two years. The first time I took it I had a very bad panic attack, I swallowed it with my morning coffee a big no no. My doctor prescribe xananx till it took effect. For six months I had to take the xananx or I had terrible anxiety. I stopped the wellbutrin and tried other drugs only to go back to the wellbutrin. Wellbutrin gave me the energy I needed as I couldn't get out of bed. But the anxiety was terrible. I suffered also with dizziness, severe at times till it got into my system. This took about six weeks.
I've been off wellbutrin since the summer as I had a very bad anxiety attack at work, I since quit my job. I'm on zoloft now and I'm not much liking this either. My depression is gone and so is my anxiety, but I have gained weight and I feel more lazy, but a happy lazy if that makes sense.
There are no easy answers as these drugs have side effects. Then you take more drugs to counter act those side effects. I would love to be drug free, I'm trying.. maybe one day..
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #20  
Curvy Vixen

marble~~ I was ambien for a year and half. I became immune to it. I took 10mg and it did nothing. My doctor said it was time to come off. how long have you been on it? Are you finding you are becoming immune to it also?
I also had a headache in the morning when I woke up, but at least I slept!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #21  
Jen

purplepansy - it sounds like it can take awhile to hit the right antidepressant and I can understand the frustration that goes into taking all kinds of different pills and not knowing if they are going to work.

my husband has been a right @sshole today (pardon my french but there is just no other way to describe it). Well maybe that is too strong but you'd think a 37 year old man could control himself a little better around his 3 1/2 old child. I guess maybe I should consider myself lucky that he hasn't resort to slapping us around and just has bursts of anger and frustration and generally gives us the silent treatment. Speaking as one who has been on both sides of this I think he could be coping better but really I shouldn't judge. All I know is that this whole thing is making me very depressed. I just blew off 2 days of work because I am upset and miserable. I concocted a very good cover story and got a doctor's note to back me up but really physically I was fine, just mentally I am going downhill. It is nerve wracking because I never know what kind of mood he is going to be in or if he is going to get aggressive. Also I've clued into some other behaviours that were going on before. He goes out and spends money and/or I buy him stuff in hopes that this will make him feel better. All this has done is get us into a huge financial black hole. I sort of had an idea about this before but it never really hit home until about this past week when he's been wanting to buy all kind of things where a couple of weeks ago when he still was on the Paxil he had no desire to spend any money if he didn't have to. Well I know I've got to put up with this for awhile yet, I hope the time goes by fast!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #22  

pansey:

I've been on Ambien for years since it came out.....but I only take it intermittently (2x a week at most)...it has quite a 1/2 life and like ativan it builds up in your system.....if you come off it for 2-3 weeks it begins to offer you sleep again.

Jen: count to 10 and just let him deal with himself......when he's calm and clear-minded, you can tell him that his behavior is making you feel .......(like slapping him...badly, worried, etc.)... In the interim, concentrate on yourself. good luck!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #23  
Curvy Vixen

Jen~ if you husband has aggressive tendencies, wellbutrin is NOT for him!! Wellbutrin can add to it... Hubby got very aggressive, to the point I was afraid of him! He is on pamelor now.. call your hubby's doctor and expess what is going on.

email me anytime
[email protected]
LYNN~
Old 04-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #24  
Curvy Vixen

marble thanx for the info on ambien. I'm taking it one time a week at 10mg. On other nights I take tylenol pm. I have a tough time sleeping at night...
Old 04-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #25  
Jen

My husband does have aggessive tendancies but the Paxil did wonders for that, his mood was much, much improved. I did tell my family dr that he has been quite agitated on and off. Yesterday he was fine as long as he was by himself and listening to music and the times he was talking to us he was okay. I talked to him on the phone at work today and he sounded okay. I think it is just a matter of wait and see what happens. I think too he'd be so much better if he had some decent sleep, I called the dr about that today too. I'm a complete grump if I don't get a good night's sleep so I can imagine how he feels when he is sleeping badly for long periods. I'm praying that his mood improves soon, when he was on Paxil it only took about 2 weeks to start working so hopefully this starts working a bit soon.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #26  

Why do you have to call your husband's dr. and report his symptoms? Why doesn't he take responsibility for for his own health?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #27  
Jen

I am a registered nurse and usually able to convey better what is going on to the dr than my husband does. Believe me I have let him manage this stuff in the past and it takes twice as long because he is not happy when he comes back from dr's appts because he couldn't get across what the problem was and then we have to go back for another appt. So when I talk to him I can ask him the same assessment questions that she would ask him and then relay it back to her and it ends up being a better way of doing things. He is one of these guys that would never go to the dr no matter what. Also it's not like she takes my word for everything because he has to go see her on regular visits but for something like this she would call in a prescription based on what I tell her.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #28  

Jen: you're cracking me up.....I figured he was "one of them"....(i'm soooo intolerant of some of the common male traits)....he is beyond lucky to have you, you sound like a truly patient compassionate person. i hope things even out soon for both of you.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #29  
Jen

Just a quick update. My husband's mood seems to be improving a little, he's a lot better these past couple of days then he was late last week and on the weekend but he's still have trouble sleeping. The dr never called back or called in a prescription so I'll have to call back today. Normally my husband has to be dragged out of bed but the past week or so he's wide awake even before the alarm goes off and it's not because he's gotten a good night's sleep. The bags under his eyes are starting to look pretty scary. Hopefully the dr will give him something so he'll get a decent sleep tonight. Take care all and thanks so much for all the helpful posts!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #30  
Curvy Vixen

glad his mood is better..!! keep us updated