Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question Does anyone here have Bipolar Disorder/Manic Depression?

Hi all. I've was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was 13 and have been on medication ever since. So, I was just wondering if anyone else here has it? Does it make it harder to diet? My highs and lows aren't as bad as they used to be and my anxiety problems are mostly in control. So, I guess I just wanted to talk to some people who had the same thing as I do.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:16 AM   #2  

Cool

Hello Girlfriend
Yes I too deal with the BiPolar monster and have for many years. I do think it has a lot to do with my weight issues but not so much the BiPolar itself as the meds used to treat it. Some of the meds actually
CAUSE weight gain. I got down to a good weight (for me anyway) and right after that I had a severe depressive episode after coming down from a manic high. I had to be hospitalized for a few weeks and man they doped me up to the max. I came home wandered around like a zombie for nearly a year. I gained back all the weight I had lost plus some more Well it took me almost another year to get to the point where I actually WANT to do something about it and now that I am on a life managable Rx schedule and have my wits back HERE I AM I would be more than happy to help you out in any way I can with information re: my bipolar & weight issues.

STAY STRONG BE HAPPY

~Starrz
starrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:49 AM   #3  

Hey I think I figured out how to set my signature
starrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey,

I just wanted to comment that my son has a chemical imbalance and an underlying low thyroid problem. Bec of the thyroid problem I have been doing a lot of research on it and found that a lot of people with chemical imbalance - and bipolar in particlar - may have a thyroid problem that is contributing and/or causing the problem.

I have all of the info posted under "depression articles" at

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49146

the info on the thyroid starts at the 5th post under that topic, but mainly, it is most important that you have your thyroid tested correctly by having these tests run:

TSH

FREE T3

FREE T4

and the anti thyroid antibodies tests
(TPO – Thyroid Peroxidase detects Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroid disease and Thyroid Antithyroglobulin)

Please have these tests run, if for no other reason then to simply rule out a thyroid hormone problem that is contributing to your chemical imbalance or will interfere with your recovery efforts.

Some doctors are reluctant to run the Free T3 and Free T4, and will want to simply run the old thyroid tests. THIS IS NOT SUFFICIENT and can be very misleading or miss the problem!

Request or beg or demand the Free T3 and Free T4, TSH and the anti thyroid antibodies tests. If you do not want to go thru a doctor or cannot find one that is willing to run the tests you can order the tests (Comprehensive Thyroid Panel II and Anti Thyroid Antibodies) yourself at www.healthcheckusa.com It is very easy to do and then they will send you the paperwork in the mail for you to take with you to the nearest lab to draw your blood and you can look up your results online in a few days and also receive them in the mail.

I'm just trying to help, if I can, and share what I have found, and want to encourage you to thoroughly check out your thyroid and make sure it is not part of the problem.

Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9

Thank you guys!

Cathyxxx: I've had my thyroid checked a couple of times...ordered by my family doctor, hospital, and psychiatrist. It's "a-ok"!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote