Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default May Ups and Downs Depression Thread

Hi and ! We are a small but mighty group who are battling the Downs of depression but also celebrating the Ups when we can! Please feel free to join in anytime, no commitment, just know you are a great person as you are
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

Hello Pat Gosh it must be difficult to have to rely on others for the groceries, as you are so self-reliant and independent. But we know people do like to do things for others, and you trade your nice hand crafted cards to them

Woke up to snow today! ugh. Oh and I haven't heard anything about summer job yet. I am still so thankful that we can do this Stay Home Safe thing while in our home, with our little property, and not worried about money. A once-in-a-lifetime situation !!!

Husband got our motorcycles out of the garage on Sunday, and that would have been the day for me to do a test ride but I just wasn't feeling up to it. My cold/sinus thing/bronchitis thing has just not gone away and I finally said 'enough' when I was literally gasping for breath Sunday night. Went to Stowe Family Practice yesterday and doctor is considering pneumonia or allergies that are making we wheeze and not get enough oxygen. Had blood drawn; got prescription for antibiotics and an inhaler...the inhaler is a godsend!! I slept well and no wheezing/gasping. And today at 1:00, to the hospital for Covid-19 test and chest X rays.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #3  

Ohhhh so sorry Holly. On May 7th I replied to Your post. But somehow I replied on the on the April thread. Idk how that happened. Been checking in every day to see if you answered the post asking how your X-ray and test results turned out. But I was looking at the April thread. I'm very much wanting to know results. I do care!! Please do let me know. <3. Nothing is important for me to write other than that. I hope the inhaler and antibiotics helped.

Last edited by flower123; 05-12-2020 at 05:52 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

Red face I'm good!

Hello Pat I am good, so much better It was unthinking of me to post my troubles, and not come back to tell results! bad on me.

Negative for Covid-19 negative for pneumonia; I definitely was battling a sinus infection (probably for weeks) and something triggered my lungs into thinking there was some allergy which led to the asthma/breathing problems. But I was given an emergency inhaler (was HEAVENLY to breathe right after using it!) and on oral steroids; (no more wheezing with every breath) and have a steroid inhaler on the way. Haven't had the wheezing sound with breathing since Thursday Have a follow-up appt on Fridau.

I carefully tried a light stretching/light cardio 25 min. workout yesterday and did not get winded!

Still haven't heard from the summer job yet. I wish they would at least email us and say someone is thinking of the employees.

Pat, how are you ? The weather shows possible low 70's for next week, won't that feel nice!
Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #5  

Whewww so glad you are doing better. X-ray and covid-19 test negative. So glad the steroids are helping. Proof is that you did well with a light cardio 25 min workout!

I've been having much worse seasonal allergies this year. Idk why. Thing is, it's not effecting my lungs. So medication is optional for me. For you it's absolutely necessary. I have an old bottle of prescription flonaise. Expired 1 1/2 years ago. I might use it. Most medications are perfectly good years past the expiration date.

Looking forward to the the warmer weather starting on Thursday. We really got slammed with a long weather pattern of mostly way below average. The 10 day extended forecast looks great. Finally!

I hope you hear soon about the summer job. And I hope the covid level stays low as the state is open more each week. I worry because burlington area was the hotspot. Worry about reopening stores, daycare, etc. I hope it will be okay.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #6  
Biker Chick!

Hello Pat You know, our younger son and his girlfriend say that they've been really bothered by allergies this year, also. So there is definitely 'stuff' that is bothering folks.

I am continuing to improve!!! last night I dragged the big recycling and the trash receptacles to the top of the driveway, and I could distinctly remember 2 weeks ago, when doing that chore, how TIRED out it made me, out of breath and wheezing. I also did a workout this morning (they are not strenuous but beneficial) and I've been outside for 3 hours, digging, raking, clipping, enjoying It is still on the cool side though, it just barely got to 50 degrees, and there is still snow here and there. But YES warmer temps are coming

It is so hard to listen to people who are saying that the public should be wide open, that all this isn't necessary...how are they experts? do they have degrees in science and medicine, or economics?? Nope. I know I am so very fortunate that I can collect UI and the CARES act extra money. I am hopeful that I will have a job to go back to Maybe I would have a different opinion if I did not have my current blessings. However I do NOT feel 'like a sheep' as so many loudmouths are saying.

I did not watch Gov. Scott's press conference today, I was 'in my groove' outside and knew I could pick up the salient points from the local news (or Vt. Digger, I like that site)

Old 05-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #7  

So glad you are breathing better! and I'm glad you are financially secure during this time! Does the Dr. Understand why you were having so much trouble? Why the lungs had so much inflammation?

I so agree with you. The people who protest and are convinced activities resumed as normal, masks are about needless control.... it upsets me that they are putting lives in danger. UVM is opening for summer session June 1. I live in the area. So it worries me. Hotels can reopen In June. I'm concerned about opening Vermont to people from out of state. I understand that these places and the state government have to financially survive. But as a senior with a compromised immune system I want to physically survive

Last edited by flower123; 05-24-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

Hello Pat and anyone else reading

How are you doing Pat? Even if one is not a 'people person' the isolation must be taking its toll. Are you getting supplies okay? Do you have perennials that you are saying Hello to ?

Oh my gosh we went from having snow on Mother's Day to 2 days of over 90 degrees!! I haven't done anything except try to keep the outside flowers/plants alive with water and keeping myself inside with fans. Do you have a/c?

I received my steroid inhaler, I use it twice a day, 2 puffs. I just got it yesterday so I don't feel huge improvement yet. I think I have to do allergy testing down the road, to find out why there is irritation. I cough a bit but nothing like before.

But I've been doing tons of outdoor/yard work and loving the month of May as I usually do. And I've been on the motorcycle twice, just to town to do errands. I think I have reduced energy/stamina because of whatever is going on lung-wise.

I have no idea when I will/can go to work! I know someone would let me know as soon as 'they' know something but the uncertainty is not cool. But it's what millions of other people are dealing with, too. So I need to just enjoy it when I can I guess.

Take care and know you are thought of!!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/197/140

Height: 5'5"

Default HI From TX

**I just submitted a reply to the April 2020 thread, so I'm hoping whoever is reading this to approve it can delete that one and use this one instead! I'm sorry I didn't see a May 2020 thread!**

Hi there!

I definitely can relate to this "small group". I struggle with (sometimes debilitating) depression, and it prevents me from doing anything (or feeling that I CAN do anything) about my weight. I take Seroquel (generic) at night - it used to help me sweet but now doesn't really help with that.

But yeah - my depression definitely doesn't help me get motivated.

I have a lot of stress and other issues that don't help much either - a very rebellious/troubled teenage son, a daughter with some learning issues and trying to homeschool her, and the fact that my and my DH's weight has negatively impacted our sex lives.

I HATE myself physically - with the extra weight I am not used to (never had problems with weight when I was younger) and the other signs of aging (fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots).

But at least it's good to know we're not alone in these struggles.

Rushell
RushTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #10  

Hi Rushell
No worries about having posted on the April thread. Sorry though if you were waiting for a reply there. I did that too!

glad you are here. Please consider this your community if you would like. Sorry to read that you are having challenges with your kids. Depression and trying to self medicate with good can often go hand in hand. Trying to comfort. Trying to ease the pain. You know that as well as I.

I gained weight during the months of self isolating dur to the pandemic. Seems the rules changed. All of a sudden it was all about eating, baking, self comforting. Not a time for dieting, it was a time when many were slammed with challenges. Kids at home....

I 100% understand that increased weight can have a negative effect on sex life. Being overweight often lowers self esteem. Especially when the roots of the craving food can be lowered self esteem and depression. You wrote that you hate yourself physically with the extra weight. Believe me, I've experienced exactly that in the past. So I get it!

Hope you will will keep posting here. Holly will likely create a June thread within the next couple of weeks. Sending good thoughts from my heart to yours

Last edited by flower123; 06-01-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #11  

Hey Holly
oddly, I am a "people person". So this self isolating has been beyond challenging. I'm back shopping at Trader Joe's and healthy living market in SBVT once a week. Today I did " Hannaford to go" curbside. Tried to go to my local very small price chopper. But the aisles were so close to the rgister that social distancing was virtually impossible when I was there.

Great that you have bern on your bike. Yes, I'm hoping you can get a DX soon re allergies. Because this was going on through the winter I'm wondering if it may be environmental allergies as well as maybe seasonal. But I'm sure a good allergist can figure it all out. I'm on seasonal allergy pills and spray for the first time ever. Hoping you can see a good allergist soon. I'm guessing there must be a good one in Berlin?

I can only imagine how unsettling it is to not have heard about your summer job. But the fact that you are being compensated by the state is important. Maybe now is about getting healthy again.

Hope you are enjoying your garden. Did you and husband plant as much this year? What did you plant? Yes, perennials are blooming here. Columbine, forget-me-nots in bloom. I'm not in a mood to deal with buying and planting. Self isolation for that long left me with deeper depression. Oh, and my pants no longer fit. I have a pair of pants that literally fell off my body. I could not wear them. Now they fit just right. I think I gained 15 lbs. sigh. Hoping you have a good beginning to June.

Last edited by flower123; 06-01-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #12  
Biker Chick!

Hi friends! new thread here https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dep...ml#post5410361