Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 136/127/115

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Used to be underweight, now weigh too much after medication

I've been on medication thrice in my life but never has it affected me the way it did this time.

I'm 23 now. I started meds (anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers) in Jan 2016 after I was diagnosed with bipolar depression. They didn't help me at all. They ruined my skin with frequent break-outs and caused me to put on over 40lbs over a period of 4 months. I now have stretch marks too.

So here's the thing. I have been underweight all my life with a BMI of around 16. My BMI is 21.6 currently but I don't look like it, as I don't have a great bone structure. My shoulders are wide and hips are extremely narrow with a hip dip that was visible even when I was underweight. I tend to put on weight on my upper arms, waist, and thighs. My breasts are sagging too.

My body fat percentage is quite high and I also have high cholesterol, along with hormonal imbalances and low vitamin D. This is because I have completely isolated myself ever since I put on weight. Weight has always been a sensitive issue for me as I was bullied a lot for being underweight. I'm very unhappy with my body type and my skin issues.

I recently found out that the ovarian cysts caused by my anti-psychotics have now cleared (a year after stopping meds). It was great news for me and has given me the hope that I can still work on my body and get in shape. I don't want to go back to being underweight, but want a fit, athletic body with good energy levels.

I'm totally new to exercise and have never been to the gym. Or tried any kind of diet. So I feel that there is a great scope for improvement. I just have to remain motivated to follow it through as I have a bad habit of giving up as soon as the low mood hits.

Thank you for reading and if you have any tips, do let me know.
bipolar_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #2  

Wishing you best

Last edited by flower123; 04-28-2018 at 01:17 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #3  

I see this is a little bit of an abandoned thread, but how are you doing now? Have things become any better for you?
The Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/205/120

Height: 5' 2"

Medication has also ruined my metabolism...the price you pay for supposedly better mental health. I had a flat stomach, now it is bloated and has ugly red stretch marks that I will still have after I lose this weight. good luck
LadyBinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 71/67/55

Height: 165

I am glad that you are aware of all this and you want to continue to fight for a better version of yourself. First of all, when it comes to the nutritional plan, do it with an experienced person, for example a dietician? If exercises, watch videos like others do. I wish you all the best
Camila415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, weight help, weight loss journey