Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/233/145

Height: 5'6

Default Zoloft, Wellbutrin, & Abilify and Weight Loss

Currently, I am taking Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Abilify plus occasionally Trazodone at night to help me sleep.

Has anyone tried to lose weight taking this much medication/these medications? Any pointers?
Margit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210--goal 160

Height: 5'4"

I'm on wellbeautrine and abilify and a different sleep med. I am 70 so that does it help much. I have been losing slowly. I have been to 2 weight loss clinic they suggest a high protein low carb/ low cal (1200) diet and exercise. it is working. I lose fastest when I keep carbs low. I also tried keeping calories low by using a high protein drink that is low in carbs for one meal a day. That helps too. I have more success if I limit snacks. I do have one diet ice cream bar at night.
I hope you are doing well. It isn't easy but it is worth it.
KathyB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240.7/127

Height: 5'6"

I have a spinal cord injury and am on 11 different medications daily, including 225mg of Effexor and 3600mg of Neurontin for nerve pain mgmt. I've gained over 80lbs from water retention, inactivity and the cravings that I get from some of my meds. I've just started my weight loss journey so I cannot definitely say it'll happen but I do know it's worth a shot.
Jennasmom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #4  

I was able to lose about 35 lbs and get to a goal weight a few years back while on Wellbutrin. I don't think the medication itself had anything to do with weight loss per se, but it improved my mood so it took less willpower to eat my emotions and I was less likely to just sit around and watch TV instead of doing something, anything.

Wellbutrin kind of stopped working for me, so now I am on Trintellix and feeling mood improvement again. I've been doing well this week with starting over on South Beach.
MarilynTC is offline   Reply With Quote