Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #31  

Holly - so glad you got out on tne bike! I hope the weather keeps up good luck I keeping up with the work outs. I used to really enjoy doing my workouts at 6am, it sets you up for the whole day! I have to get up earlier for work these day unfortunately.

I do hope the comment was just a way to make me change my mind, but it has me worried! It is always the risk, but I suppose I can go back if it does end up being a mistake. I know they'd always have me, and they will always need staff.

I hit a good weight loss goal today, dropping below 200lbs for the first time in over a year. My new diet has basically been to go for a nap instead of eating. It's not intentional, I just still can't be bothered cooking, and I'm still very tired. I think come Monday I am going to give it a big effort to push through by eating proper food, getting some fresh air and avoiding naps. If it doesn't stop I might have to reduce my medication.
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #32  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Checking in

Hello Friends! I just wanted to check in and say hello! The thread has been pretty quiet this month. I guess we all have other things occupying our minds and time. Today, our son agreed to go to the psychiatric hospital I went to (against my will though) at this exact time last year. It was rather bizarre being there again... this time for him. As much as I hated that place, I sat in the waiting room thinking, "I wish it was me and not him being checked in." It just breaks my heart that he is struggling with life so much right now. Anyway, after his assessment, the intake person decided that he doesn't have to go inpatient at this time. He already completed their intensive outpatient therapy a short while ago. This time, they are recommending a partial hospitalization outpatient program. He will go there for treatment 6 days a week (Monday through Saturday) from 9-3:30pm for 2 weeks. After that, they will assess him again to see if he could continue with another round of intensive outpatient therapy or if he should go inpatient. We were all very relieved that he doesn't have to go inpatient at this point. We moved all of his stuff out of the extended stay room and he is going to give living with us another try while he attends this partial hospitalization program. They thought it might be good so that we can help him wake up for the program each day because his sleep schedule is way off. He has had terrible insomnia for quite awhile now, which is not helping his whole mental status. Anyway, I am once again hopeful and praying like crazy that this will be the first step on his way to much better mental health. He begins the program this Wednesday.

Lisa: Best of luck with your next interview! What job are you applying for? Please keep us posted.

Coop: Congrats on getting down under 200 lbs again!!! That is awesome!!! I hope and pray that your job change will be a positive experience for you! That is nice to know that you could always go back to your old job. You must be a valued employee!

Holly: Thank you for asking about my health. All is well with me, except that I still need to lose a significant amount of weight and it isn't really happening. But I could reign in my eating a lot more and bump up my workout frequency, so I can't really complain too much. The lymphedema in my left arm is the same as before surgery. So basically the 10 hour surgery did nothing to help... or so it feels like that. But my hubby reminded me that, if I didn't have the surgery, the lymphedema could have become much worse in the future. The surgeon had said that there were lymph channels in tact right now that would die out eventually (without surgery) from working too hard to pick up the slack from the lymph node removal at the time of my double mastectomy. So I still need to wear my compression sleeve most of the time, which is a hassle and uncomfortable, but a small price to pay to be alive! Once again, trying to stay focused on the bright side of things. Our swimming pool is STILL cloudy, but hubby is working on it and it has improved, and the pool company who is helping him (for free!) said it is safe to swim in. We've just been so busy with everything that I haven't had time. And, to be honest, I really want to wait until I can see the bottom of the pool before I jump in! Yes, I'm a wimp! So happy to hear that you've had good enough weather to ride your bike to work! I know that makes you happy! Hope you are enjoying your time at your summer job so far. Still working for the r@t b@st@rd occasionally?

EasySpirit: How are you? I hope things are well. Haven't heard from you since the last time I posted a week ago. Please drop us a line if and when you get a chance! Hope you have been able to stay in control of your chocolate intake! Sending you to help with your efforts!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #33  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

hello! Kathleen thank you for your nice long post to us! first, oh I'm so sorry you have to see your son struggle so, and wow what a trip to take him to the same place you were forcefully taken to but hoping so much the treatment works for him!! we are hoping and praying like crazy also that he is helped.

no you are not a wimp for wanting to see the bottom of your pool before you jump in

I wish you didn't have to wear the cumbersome and hot compression sleeve , especially in summer! but yeah looking on the positive side, we are SO grateful to have you with us!!! for a long time!!

yes I am loving riding my bike to work most of the time, then coming home to say hi to the plants and lawn, i know I will soon be sick of mowing and weedwhacking so often but not yet. My pansies are spectacular right now and there is a toad that is hanging out in one of the planters, I like him because he eats slugs but he startles the heck out of me all the time.

My work pants are tighter than they were last year which saddens me so I just don't have any will power in the evenings anymore. I've been doing a workout about 3 times a week, I need too make myself work out almost every day just for flexibility and strength for daily life.

hugs and to everyone!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #34  
full of thanks

Hey ladies,

I apologize, I have a migraine today. It's not as bad tonight as it was this afternoon but I still feel like crap. I probably won't make a long post.

Thank you, Kathleen and Holly for your wonderful posts.

Coop, thank you for keeping the thread going.

EasySpirit, I hope you are ok. We miss you.

I've been going to physical therapy for my left hip. It still hurts when I get off the couch but it's not agony like it was. I still have a ways to go but it is better. I start physical therapy on my back next week. I'll be doing both my back and hip at the same time.

That's about it for now, I'll post again soon. It may not be long posts since I'm not feeling well.

Have a good night.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #35  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Lisa any post from you, long or short, is always loved We hope so much the physical therapy helps your pain.

Woke up to drippy rain this morning, small boooo to that. But I know the earth will soak it up and be appreciative. And it is very cool, so I don't have to suffer my usual embarassment of wearing short sleeves, i can wear 3/4 sleeves shirt today.

Made meals and brought them to a friend yesterday, a motorcycling friend, he and his wife are in their 70's and WERE active and vibrant until the damn cancer hit them both. Their sons are renovating their parents house to accomodate them now, and we know that "Dad" (as we in the club call him) will not make it through this summer. So I spent about 4 hours with him yesterday, we sat and talked as his sons and family friends were pounding on the house around us. Poor man, he is mostly concerned about his wife, as he knows he will pass first. sad

Besides that sadness, I am good. I realized I have't taken my Wellbutrin in about a week, I have just forgotten. Does that mean I don't need it?? I wasn't trying to intentionally get off of it, just forgot.

Kathleen, yes I do occasionally work for the R@t B@st@rd, every Wednesday afternoon from 2 to 6. And actually any other time I want some quick cash. in fact last week i wanted to give a family friend's grandson $25 for high school graduation card, and was feeling cheap, so I just rode over to the RB's business at 4 pm nd said 'do you want me to close for you this afternoon?' and they said YES so I made $ to give to the kid

Last edited by VermontMom; 06-22-2016 at 07:04 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow New To This Thread

Hello everyone, I am new to this thread

My name is Jessica and I'm 36 y/o. I am a Cancer Survivor (18 months in remission), and also have Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Celiac Disease, and an autoimmune thyroid condition.

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #37  

Hi Jesikabeth! Welcome to the forum! How good to that you are in remission, I hope you continue to be cancer-free! Weight loss must be so difficult with coeliac and thyroid issues? I'm always eager to hear tips on gluten-free dieting, I am trying to reduce my dependence on flour containing foods in particular.

Lisa - great to hear how your physiotherapy is helping your hip. It will be great when your hip and back are both feeling better! And I really hope your migraines clear up.

Kathleen - it was so brave of you to go back to that hospital. I will add to your prayers that the treatment helps your son.

Holly - sorry to hear about your friends. I'm gradually coming to realise how cruel cancer is; I'm lucky to have never had it visit my loved ones, until now. We often hypothesize what we'd do if we had 6 months to live, but I realise now how we never factor in the fact we'd be ill. Your friends are lucky to have you to make things a bit easier for them.

I have been doing well at avoiding naps this week. My diet has gone completely off though, I think I am craving the energy. Must bring it under control before it gets ridiculous. I have been eating so much sugar lately, I'm worried I'm at risk of diabetes if I don't stop myself soon.

OH's dad has been going downhill lately, he's been unable to eat anything solid for about 2 weeks - not even ice cream! He has nutrient shakes so he isn't starving, but I feel really bad for him. His blood tests were a little irregular today, he might be admitted to hospital tomorrow, OH is naturally worried he might never come out again. I'm sure it'll pick up again soon though, all we can do is wait and see.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop27 View Post
Hi Jesikabeth! Welcome to the forum! How good to that you are in remission, I hope you continue to be cancer-free! Weight loss must be so difficult with coeliac and thyroid issues? I'm always eager to hear tips on gluten-free dieting, I am trying to reduce my dependence on flour containing foods in particular.
Hello, thank you for the welcome

Yes, I'm grateful to be in remission. The steroids they put me on made me blow up like a balloon, so that was part of the reason why I became so heavy. Also, yes the thyroid makes it a challenge. Celiac, not so much. As far as gluten free, I'd be happy to share any information I can with you. I am about to send you a friend add. Ask any questions you'd like.

Last edited by JesikaBeth; 06-22-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #39  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

JesikaBeth: to the group! I am a breast cancer survivor of 15 months. So happy to hear that your cancer is in remission! That is really something to celebrate! I don't have Diabetes, but I have Insulin Resistance, so I am on Metformin. I am also Hypothyroid and on 2 meds for that. Sounds like we have a lot in common! So happy you posted! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon. Best of luck with your weight loss journey and all of your other journeys! Stay positive!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #40  
I can do it!!!

Default Update

Well, my hubby dropped my son off at his "partial hospitalization" this morning..... and he walked home by noon. Gave us a few different reasons why he left way early. (He was supposed to be there until 3:30pm.) I am really struggling to not lose hope and sink back into depression and anxiety myself. I have a lot of faith and believe that he will get well in God's perfect timing, but I am getting VERY impatient!!! That's about all I have the energy for tonight. Just wanted to let you all know that so far, this isn't working either. We are in touch with his therapist, who we trust a lot and who he likes. Seeking her guidance with how to proceed. My son signed a release and she is going to talk with the hospital's intake director tomorrow about him going inpatient. We all feel that, at this point, he truly needs it.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #41  

Thank you for the warm welcome Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #42  

Jessica - I was listening to someone on the radio talking about the way steroids make people gain weight, it sounds pretty frustrating. I hope there aren't too many other side-effects!

Kathleen - how frustrating your son walked out so quickly, he must really be finding it tough. It sounds like in-patient treatment is the right step. Good luck!

OH's dad was enrolled in a drug trial, I was hopeful it might be a wonder-cure, but he was admitted to hospital today after some tests came back abnormal. They won't be continuing treatment until he normalises again. He is so poorly just now, he wouldn't last long without further treatment, it is very worrying.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #43  

OH's dad has been fighting to be let home this weekend, so they will let him out tonight, but he'll have to spend the rest of the weekend in again. Carried out more tests today but I don't think there has been much improvement. He says he feels a little better, but I think that's just steroids talking.

Met my dad and sister today to discuss text for mum's headstone. We can't agree at all...

Other than that, it has been a funny day here. I don't know if I said I live in the UK or not, but I'm up in Scotland. I was a very undecided voter up to the last minute, so I'm not sure how I feel about the results. A lot of nervousness through many of our suppliers at work...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 324/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone!

I suffer from depression and anxiety and the weight loss that I've accomplished so far has been probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. The weekends are bad for me, my depression gets worse and I think the worst things about how I should just stop everything, but every week I just continue. I'm in a bad place mentally right now, but I know that it will pass. Just wanted to vent.
fat2fitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat2fitgirl View Post
Hi everyone!

I suffer from depression and anxiety and the weight loss that I've accomplished so far has been probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. The weekends are bad for me, my depression gets worse and I think the worst things about how I should just stop everything, but every week I just continue. I'm in a bad place mentally right now, but I know that it will pass. Just wanted to vent.
Hi f2fgirl! Welcome to the forum Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time just now. This forum is a great place to vent if you need it. We don't mind at all. I really hope your weekend is going a little better than usual... Do you work during the week and have time off at the weekend?