Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #31  
banned

Today wasn't too bad of a day. I cleaned for about an hour, and organized my herbal teas so that I can get to them easier since I've been drinking them more. We got the heater I bought off amazon (with the money I made through mturk doing surveys) today and it works pretty well. It's a quartz infrared space-heater, and people said it actually can take your electric bill down, plus the heat is supposed to absorb into your joints and promote less aches and pains. I've noticed that our main heat hasn't come on much at all since it's been on, and I'm fairly warm. If this takes our electric bill down it will free up some money for other things we need.

I'm hoping to go with my mom to town Friday and get some more groceries and dump off some trash.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 11-16-2012 at 03:28 AM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #32  
GO.FRUIT.YOURSELF

S/C/G: 255/155/110 Fruitarian

Height: 5"2

Awesome to hear you've heard about it!!

I also only buy organic greens, my husband and our kids also eat raw so I could NEVER afford to buy organic.

Dr Graham once said in a lecture that avoiding fruit because it isn't organic is like stepping in front of a bus to avoid a bee.

I buy in bulk at costco and you can buy wholesale.
Also talking to your local produce providers and asking to buy by the case, this has saved us a lot of money.

Another book you may be interested in reading is the four agreements, it will really help putting life into perspective and moving forward.
Melissamixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
I strongly recommend that you and hubby start working on a plan to move away from your folks. I presume that you live in a rural area and do not have any sort of bus service there. You should start saving and look into moving to a town that has public transportation. If you have graduated high school, start thinking about a career you would enjoy and explore training options at PUBLIC community colleges or career centers. They will also be able to work with you about student loans, and pell grants, but be careful as you will have to pay any loans back. That's why I recommend a public institution over a private and/or online training college - you can have more confidence that they are committed to you rather than to maximizing their return on your investment.

You and your husband should be able to make a go of it in town by combining entry-level salaries from available jobs and renting a modest 1 bedroom apartment. You could take driving lessons after you had saved up enough money instead of relying on your mother, who seems more interested in keeping you at home and dependent rather than giving you guys the freedom you need to move on with your lives.

If you have not graduated high school, you should enroll in a GED program and start working on your GED now. Contact your local library and ask them about GED programs. They probably have some available via the internet and/or supplemented by public television programs, with assets you can check out at the library.

You should also look into the Job Corps. The Job Corps provides housing, training, and career placement for young, low-income Americans. You may be on the upper cusp of qualifying for it (I am not sure if they have an age-limit), but you should contact them as well:

http://www.jobcorps.gov/Home.aspx

I think having a positive plan to create a life for you and your husband, a plan with goals toward which you can work, will help your mental health and anger issues.

Finally, I recommend that you seek some professional help. In my state, there are local mental health agencies that are non-profit centers and provide care on a sliding scale basis to people in crisis, and particularly low income people. They might be able to help you.

This is the best advice here by far. Anyone under your circumstances is bound to feel down, no need to rush to get some antidepressants for that. It is merely your smart, correctly-functioning brain telling you that you need to change the situation ASAP.

You know what drug you need? EMPOWERMENT

Do like mnemosyne said and get out of that sad situation and empower yourself. Find a place with public transportation and realistic job outlook.

After you have overcome the situation and are empowered, you will feel sorry for your mother.

Last edited by happynottsgirl; 11-16-2012 at 08:13 AM.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #34  
banned

I already feel sorry for my mother, happynottsgirl. She's in constant pain. The pain makes her brain foggy and makes her want to smoke cigarettes. She just relapsed back into smoking even though she was trying to quit. She's tried to quit for a very long time, but to no avail. The brain-fog is one of the more annoying things about her, though. I can see her glaze over a bit when I talk about something that she either doesn't understand or has no interest in. When I'm done talking about said topic, she will reach into herself and pull out a vague, one-word reply, or something, and go onto another subject. Also, she forgets things a lot when it comes to me. I'll say something to her, and the next day she'll forget (A symptom of the fibromalgia). She also tells the same stories over and over again. I figure it's because she hasn't made any new stories in a while.

Moving to a city sounds horrible, though. I like the area I live in now, because it's rural. Every time I go to town, I get congested from all the fumes and smoking smells around the buildings. I also have misophonia (undiagnosed, but I've had 'trigger-noises' since before I started elementary school), which makes me highly aggravated by normal every day sounds to the point that I have an almost fight or flight feeling. If I could just learn to drive, and not be afraid of driving, I'd been fine. I just wish it didn't feel so scary.

Melissamixedup, thanks for the book suggestions. At this moment, I'm trying to incorporate more fruit and vegetables into my diet. I bought a huge bag of bananas and a small box of clementines yesterday in town, plus some organic spinach and organic carrots. I actually didn't buy any sweets at all. I'm very proud of myself. I'm trying to only eat sweets on special occasions, like Holidays and birthdays, or church dinners or something. As long as I don't buy it, I'm usually okay. I've also been eating a banana when I have a sugar craving. I'm still drinking soda, but I'm limiting it. I think it will be the last thing I give up, just because if I have a glass of soda, it makes a healthy meal not seem so boring (bad, I know).

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 11-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I understand, I'm also scared of driving!

For online work you can try being a google rater for Lionbridge or Leapforce. Just google it and apply, you take two tests (they give you a guide which you should study very well). If you are going to try this pm if you need help or other information.

I've been in a similar situation before and this online gigs really help.

Last edited by happynottsgirl; 11-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #36  
banned

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm always interested in doing online work for money. I tried publishing short stories, but only succeeded with one (the link on my signature). I'm more of a novella-novel length writer, though, so it didn't work out so well. lol. I've also tried writing articles, but I have to be interested in the topic to actually do it, so that interferes with a lot of article-writing turks on amazon mechanical turk, because the articles they usually want are boring topics to me.

Yeah, driving is horrifying to me. The main road out here is so narrow, that in order to let someone pass, you need to practically pull into the ditch. I've only ever driven on the driveway. Also, farther up the road, you have to watch out because the neighbors just let their children and pets run rampant around the road (and sometimes in the road). I would HATE to accidentally kill someone's dog, or worse. It's one of my phobias.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 11-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 260/257/180

Height: 6'0

Another idea, if it's feasible for you: check out the Americorps program. It's a national service program through the government to place people in human service positions (usually at a non-profit). You work 1,700 hours in a year, get a small monthly stipend, super basic health insurance and at the end of your completed year - you get around 5,000 in an educational stipend to use for tuition, books or to repay student loans. You can do two years of this program, so $ for college, you'll gain work experience and this service looks great on a resume! Sometimes getting out of your own headspace and helping others is a good thing. I hope you can figure a way out to improve your situation. Good luck.
trabo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynottsgirl View Post
This is the best advice here by far. Anyone under your circumstances is bound to feel down, no need to rush to get some antidepressants for that. It is merely your smart, correctly-functioning brain telling you that you need to change the situation ASAP.

You know what drug you need? EMPOWERMENT

Do like mnemosyne said and get out of that sad situation and empower yourself. Find a place with public transportation and realistic job outlook.

After you have overcome the situation and are empowered, you will feel sorry for your mother.
I totally agree with this and everything mnemosyne said. You need to empower yourself. Thinking about antidepressants should be your last resort, not your first. And I can completely empathize with your situation. I grew up in Hawaii, which isn't considered rural, but what a lot of people don't realize is that it's an island, separated from everything, and the majority of locals (my family included) live in poverty. I left home when I was 18, but being on an island, you can't really go far, and I ended up moving in with my boyfriend into this Section 8 squalor of an apartment. It was filthy, riddled with mold and cockroaches, and smelled. I couldn't drive, either, and I was diagnosed with anxiety when I was a child--I couldn't stand the sound of car engines. I had to walk or take the bus to my minimum wage job. It sucked. My whole life sucked. I was depressed all the time. I seriously thought that that was just my lot in life. My entire family was poor, no one did anything with their lives, and I'd just be another one. No money, no education, no independence.... I can't tell you what triggered my epiphany, but I had one when I was 20---I didn't wanna be a burden anymore. I went from being a burden to my mom to a burden to my boyfriend. I completely depended on them for everything. And I knew the only way I'd get out of my rut and change my life was if I left everything. I had to completely remove myself from the situation. I left Hawaii, and my entire family (boyfriend included) for the first time in my life, and I never looked back. I'm now completely independent, I'm in complete control of my own life, and my relationship with my mother is 100X better than it ever was. You need to remove yourself from your situation. As long as you stay there and cling to your comfort zone, you'll never change. mnemosyne gave you valuable advice. It's so easy to be scared and to make excuses not to change, but I think if you took the plunge and did it, you'd see a total change in your outlook and mindset. Or you could be like my sister who stayed and was too scared to leave home.... 37 years old, unemployed on welfare, living with the parents, and still hating life. Goodluck!!!

Last edited by Lakilaulea; 11-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote