Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/175/145

Height: 5'7

Default How to work out with bad anxiety?

All my doctors tell me its good to work out espically when I suffer from bad anxiety. Ive tried a million times, but my anxiety leaves me weak and tired all the time. And whenever I start a new workout, I shortly stop after cause of the physical symptoms of anxiety.Im so depressed because im gaining weight, and just want to feel better about myself. Anyone else suffering from this?? Any help?? I so desperately want to feel better, and lose weight!
Jacobis mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

I also suffer from a lot of anxiety, & I understand how working out is difficult when one is anxious. For me, I would rather curl up in bed when I'm anxious. So on those days, as often as they come, I try things that don't seem like "working out" It just adds to my anxiety, especially if I can't push myself to follow through.

I'll lift light dumbells or ketllebells while watching tv, I'll go for a walk if the weather permits, I'll hulahoop, or vacuum(it needs getting done anyway!) or dance. I focus more on MOVING, less on a strict "work-out"

Hope this helps! At least a little. Us with anxiety have to stick together!
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #3  

I use music and do housework. With the music I do more because the music pulls me along and you can dance once in a while.
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #4  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

I read somewhere you can break down workouts like walking. Instead of 30 minutes, do 3 10 minute walks. You could do the same with working out. Another thing I do is go to a big store and grab a shopping cart and walk around for 15 to 20 minutes. Also, try distracting yourself when you start getting anxious. Good Luck!

Last edited by VickieLou; 10-25-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #5  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

One huge giant things I did to help me join a gym was to join an all woman's gym. Co-ed gyms (unless they are high end) tend to be depressing, unfriendly and filled with jacked up guys just looking to pump some iron. The all women's gyms I have belong to in the past (I've had experience with a few because I have moved so often) have been so amazing. Everything is clean the staff is friendly and helpful and the members are also very friendly. Like even in the middle of a gym class it's natural to just joke around with the person next to you even if you don't know them. Or one time I forgot my ipod at home and the woman next to me on the treadmill just struck up a conversation with me and we ended up chatting for the whole time. It's just so nice to have the gym be a safe space to go to when you are stressed out and need to relax. It is also helpful to take your workout outdoors. Pick a few hikes close to home or just get a bike. Make an amazing playlist on your ipod and you are totally set. One thing to remember though is not to make such a huge commitment right from the get go. Tell yourself that you are committing to 3 hours a week of exercise for one month. Choose different fun ways to work out and slowly you will learn to love exercise. This shouldn't be a difficult process, exercise can be a lot of fun and a huge de-stresser, just take it slow in the beginning and find what you love to do.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have PTSD and pretty serious anxiety. My heart used to feel like it was gonna fly right out of my chest sometimes and I was always worried I would have a heart attack and die right there in the middle of nowhere,so I know how you feel. I just kept at it until it got more comfortable and how I can do a lot of walking without even breathing hard. If you can start small and focus on each tiny success, you will probably find that it does get better eventually. And I think the exercise makes a HUGE difference in my mental well being now that I exercise regularly.

Best advice--just go slowly. It gets better the more you do it.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/320/280

Height: 6'0 Feet

I would recommend music and walking outside. Music keeps your mind from racing and overanalyzing. The walking keeps your daily exercise routine up. The reason I recommend outside is if you suffer from social anxiety you would get used to seeing and being around people every time you walk. I think the worst thing for anxiety is being locked away in a closed space obsessing over factors that cause your anxiety and amplifying them.
NoPainNoLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
I have PTSD and pretty serious anxiety. My heart used to feel like it was gonna fly right out of my chest sometimes and I was always worried I would have a heart attack and die right there in the middle of nowhere,so I know how you feel. I just kept at it until it got more comfortable and how I can do a lot of walking without even breathing hard. If you can start small and focus on each tiny success, you will probably find that it does get better eventually. And I think the exercise makes a HUGE difference in my mental well being now that I exercise regularly.

Best advice--just go slowly. It gets better the more you do it.

Barb
^This. I just kept at it and eventually my anxiety has been reduced to almost zero! Exercise has been a life saver for my mental well-being.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote