Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #16  
Call me Maybe jk jk

S/C/G: 182/178/120

Height: 5'2

Don't think negative. Isn't the reason you want to lose weight is because you want to look better ? I know someone who committed suicide, and there was over 200 ppl at his funeral. At least the 200 cared about him. I think the same apply to everyone. No matter what happen, there will be someone who cares about you, it just that you did not realize it yet. So don't think that you are alone because you are not. I know the thought of being abandoned and loneliness is scary, I had the same problem when I was a teenager . So just cheer up, just go talk to anyone who would listen, especially a therapist. DOn't let the negative feelings overwhelm you. Best wishes for you
ugogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #17  

Sorround yourself with positive people, avoid negative people and negative vibes.
Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #18  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You know what's awesome?...that you care enough about yourself to ask for help here. That means you're ready to do something about your depression. I've been in a BAD way for a long time and sometimes it feels like every time things start to go better they turn for the worse. So I get it.

I have three pieces of advice for you.

1. Get help. You're worth it. when you hit a bad place it's very difficult to get out of the hole by yourself. Talk to you doctor.

2. Screw the diet. Seriously. Your main goal right now is to get well. Part of your wellness plan has to include being in control of your food (i.e. not self-medicating by over-eating) and moving your body which increases endorphins and also helps with serotonin levels. As you do that, you may well lose weight. But whatever you do, don't starve yourself especially if you've been using food as comfort - as this is likely to make you feel worse and make your body crave high fat, high sugar foods...and you'll succumb because you NEED it. Eat in a more balanced way and the cravings won't hit so hard. If you haven't been exercising for a while you will have to FORCE yourself to do it, but you CAN do it.

3. Fake it til you make it. OK, so you're not happy right now, but you're craving human company. ACT like a person you'd want to hang out with and more people will want to hang out with you. This isn't being fake, it's just reaching deep and showing the happy part of you. As you do this more, you'll feel happier.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 343/218/180

Height: 6'2"

Hi Logistica
I'm at where you are now. I am very unhappy and very depressed. I am very shy and have been obese most of my life. I have very few friends. I am older now too and have missed out on parties, girl friends, and even school.
But for the 1st time in my life I am losing weight. I lost a pound since yesterday in fact. You just have to decide it's something you want.
Don't look at a diet as a continuous thing, only as something you do each day and stay the course one day at a time. I have about 10 months to go. Another thing, you have a fiance. I don't and might not ever. You have more going for you than you think.
chubbyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #20  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyface View Post
Hi Logistica
I'm at where you are now. I am very unhappy and very depressed. I am very shy and have been obese most of my life. I have very few friends. I am older now too and have missed out on parties, girl friends, and even school.
But for the 1st time in my life I am losing weight. I lost a pound since yesterday in fact. You just have to decide it's something you want.
Don't look at a diet as a continuous thing, only as something you do each day and stay the course one day at a time. I have about 10 months to go. Another thing, you have a fiance. I don't and might not ever. You have more going for you than you think.
Aw dont say that i am sure one day u will have a fiancé and then a partner, or u may find u r happy without a partner. And It's a good thing u still have the rest of your life ahead of you to attend parties and make friends. Attempt each day to just smile at someone or say hi, that might help with your shyness and make someone smile. I am shy too, but have decided to become more social, just talking to strangers in the store or park.

And to the original poster how are u doing. I hope u have gotten help, or worked through your dark period and are feeling better!
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #21  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Sorry to hear you are in such emotional pain.
You deserve to be happy and by posting here ..that means you are reaching out.
We all want to be loved and accepted ..we feel we are not measuring up we lash out at others in a effort to protect ourselves.
Try to reach out a little more and find some who can help you work on a plan to bring a balance in your life.
I believe sometimes we all can benefit from some outside prospective.
It is not a sign of weakness to need help ... it takes a person strong enough to acknowledge they do.
We can not undo what happen in the past.. we can change are future by living in the here and now . Sometimes the hardest thing is taking the step of faith to go out of our comfort zone and admit we need help.
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I have battled depression for many years and spent so much time "hating" myself. I can find countless things to hate about myself, and it is a really hard thing to overcome. I struggle with it daily.

I've had people tell me to look in the mirror and find one thing I like about myself and tell myself what I like. It did NOT work for me.

BUT what has been working is at the end of the day, coming up with 3 good things that happened and writing them down along with why they were good things. It could be anything. The weather, appreciating nature, watching a good movie. It started with things like that.

Now, I can find good things that deal with me to write about. I got my workout in today! I was faster/went further! I drank all my water! I ate my veggies!

Since I've been doing that it has been easier to love myself and not hate myself so much.

A book I read recently may be beneficial to you. It's "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Meyer. It is a Christian book and I'm not a Christian, but her advice can help anyone. I highly recommend it. It was given to me a few short months ago when I was at an all time low.

If you can find a therpist or counselor to speak with, please do. In the meantime, try reading the book. And writing down three good things that happened each day, along with why they were good things.

It really makes me sad to know that others feel this way. It has been a lifelong battle for me, but I feel I'm finally gaining the weapons to win the battle now. I'm going to be 36 years old.

Love and light,
RavenWolf
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 343/218/180

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbiegurl View Post
Aw dont say that i am sure one day u will have a fiancé and then a partner, or u may find u r happy without a partner. And It's a good thing u still have the rest of your life ahead of you to attend parties and make friends. Attempt each day to just smile at someone or say hi, that might help with your shyness and make someone smile. I am shy too, but have decided to become more social, just talking to strangers in the store or park.

And to the original poster how are u doing. I hope u have gotten help, or worked through your dark period and are feeling better!
Thank you, was very nice of you
chubbyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

I have had similar feelings before but I came to understand that I didn't hate myself...I was very angry with myself for letting things get as out of control as they had. I am not just talking about my weight but every aspect of my day to day life.
It's not just us that are affected by how we feel but every one else around us that loves us and wants to see us happy
My turning point was when I became angry with myself ( it is different for everyone), I had lost so much time doing nothing an going nowhere because of how I looked and felt about myself and the realization that there was only myself to blame was the kick up the *** I needed to do something about it.
Don't be so down on yourself chick, there are many people here that will have been through similar things and there will always be someone here to talk to. Good luck with your journey
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #25  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I don't doubt that you hate yourself right now, but please do both of the following things:

1) Make an appointment with your medical doctor to be screened for the medical condition of depression. It may be that you need medication (antidepressants) to help you through this difficult time. Clinical depression is a *medical* issue--a chemical response in your brain.

2) Make an appointment with a counselor. You can reach a healthier self-view, but given where you are right now, you'll best be able to reach it with professional assistance.

Seeking help is a sign of strength. You started by posting here. Please seek medical help, too.

Best of luck to you.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #26  

Sad, I know how you feel! I struggled with this situation too, and I felt like I'd never overcome it. I must say I got a lot of help from Heal Your Hunger, you should check them out. I am living a happy and healthy life now finally.
Paulsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #27  

Default pervasive depression/discrimination

I am deeply sorry to hear about your emotional pain. Do not judge yourself - or allow anyone else to judge you - based on something that is superficial. Your soul, deep inside, is what defines you. Your weight is not the essence of who you are.
Also, please note that it is illegal for anyone to discriminationa against you because you are overweight. That type of discrimnation is unlawful under local and federal anti-discrimination laws. If you believe that you are being unfairly judged in a work environment due to weight, read about your legal rights to be free from such bias. For example, rapaportlaw.com has info about discrimination, or go to the EEOC website.
Beyond legal help, you should seek psychological counseling to address your depression.
I wish you the best.
marcwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #28  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

I know what it is to be completely entrenched in misery. I've been there. And if people don't want to be around you, it has NOTHING to do with your weight or how you look...it's your attitude. You feel miserable and you're keeping yourself miserable.

The great news is that if you are really that unhappy about your weight, you can do something about it! You don't need anyone to do anything for you in order for you to take control over your eating and exercise. You're part of a community full of information specifically centered around what you need.

So as far as I can tell, you've got three choices. Start making changes that will allow you to be where you want to be OR accept yourself at the size you are and try to find joy in your life OR (and this is the worst choice) continue to complain and be miserable without making any changes.

Misery can brainwash you into thinking negatively, instead you must do the opposite & brainwash yourself with positivity - Spiritual Truth
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

All the compassion and empathy in my heart in being sent out to you in this moment. I have been where you are at, filled with self loathing to the point of near complete seclusion. I want to say to you that there is hope. Please understand that in this modern culture, we are brainwashed into hating ourselves so that we might be motivated to spend absurd sums of money on products making false claims. Unrealistic portrayals of women permeate our environment, even as the populace grows fatter. We live in "food deserts", where the only affordable food in addictive artery clogging crap. IT IS NOT JUST YOU, it is the environment, it's the mistreatment and invisibility of the overweight, it's the lack of public health policy, it's the lack of weight-loss friendly culture! You deserve happiness, just as any person does. It takes practice to replace those negative thoughts with more positive ones, but it can be done, with practice. You've already taken a great first step by reaching out. When I get down, I find it helpful to just write about it, or go outside for a walk. Even the smallest step can feel difficult when you are depressed, but that first step is all it it takes to set you off in a new direction -From Oregon with love.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #30  
A Year in the Merde

S/C/G: 210/205/135

Height: 5'5"

Default You're not alone.

This forum is new to me, but this story isn't. It's mine. "Hang in there" becomes a phrase you loathe, you can feel your friends' eyes beginning to roll and you can do nothing but spew vile thoughts about yourself and your body.

THIS IS NOT YOU. THIS IS A STORY YOU'RE TELLING YOURSELF OVER AND OVER. YOU ARE ADDICTED TO TELLING IT AND IT IS POISONING YOU. YOU HAVE TO BREAK IT SOMEHOW.

I myself haven't completely accomplished this, but simply becoming self-aware made a huge difference. This only happened with therapy. If you're not ready for that, here are some of the things that may help...

Hula hoop in your living room. (Seriously. You'll laugh at how stupid you feel.)
Volunteer, it's a great distraction to care about others.
Keep a journal. Each day write about things you did right and things you'll do better tomorrow. Find at least 10 for each column, even if it's "I brushed my teeth."
TaiChi (if you can find a group) It is the most infuriating thing I've ever studied. You must be still, listen to your body and follow directions. If you stay with it, it will reward you in patience, flexibility and calm. It has definitely taken me from a type A+++ personality to an A-.

I hope some small piece of this helps you. You just need to know that you are not alone friend. Keep reaching out. xxx
MlleTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote