Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/252/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Lexapro and weight gain.

Does anyone

Last edited by ThaRizzy; 10-10-2016 at 12:22 AM.
ThaRizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #2  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

I'm on Lexapro but have not experienced weight gain related to the medication.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Typically I don't think the SSRI's cause weight gain, I was under the impression it was the older anti-depressants (Prozac etc) that caused weight issues. Everyone is different though.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #4  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I haven't had many problems with weight gain from lexapro but I have heard of it happening to people.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/235/140

Height: 5'5"

I have taken several different antidepressants, but I know my weight gain was not related to the SSRIs alone, however (and this is a big however) I did find I was more content to "sit down and not be bothered" while taking lexapro.

I am currently on an extended release generic of Welbutrin that seems to help without turning me into a zombie.

Again, everyone is different and responds to drugs in many ways. If you find after the normal adjustment period that you are more sluggish or just don't feel like doing anything, talk to your doctor about an adjustment or trying something different.
GWDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I took Lexapro several years ago, and within the span of 4 months, gained about 30 pounds. I was ravenous all the time. Like, "eat a large pizza by myself" ravenous. Which is NOT normal for me. It was like anything I ate, didn't count towards fullness. You may have a different reaction, or no reaction at all, but I know for me, I will never take it again.

**edited to add NOT in the pizza sentence. NOT normal for me.

Last edited by penmage; 10-16-2012 at 12:58 AM.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

When I was on Lexapro, I did not experience that kind of rapid weight gain. I did gain weight, though, because I could not make myself do any kind of weight control with better eating or exercise. Also, I fell asleep at about any moment that I was sitting down (including driving, including riding a motorcycle...awful)
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

I've been on 10mg since 03/27/12
at the time, my doc. told me that I will experience an increased appetite but my husband laughed at that comment since my depression was a reaction to the physical symptom which was serotonin deficiency that started about 12 years ago. all those years, no doctors can tell what was wrong with me until I started exhibiting mental depression finally.
because of my physical issues, I was consuming unbelievable amount of calories (thus, Husband's laugh) despite the crazy workouts and I gained more than 30 lbs over the 10 years.
since the lexapro (I'm still with 10mg), I am able to control (sort of, compare to before) and workout much better and finally losing the weight.
if you just gain overnight, it could be water related to sodium intake.
I try not to eat after 6PM and my most calorie consumption is lunch and I try to eat light dinner so my body doesn't have a lot of water during sleep hours.
by the way, I do workout a lot. this morning ran 8 miles, walked 3.5 miles. I did 14 yesterday. maybe the workout is helping me with the drug.
I do get sleepy here and there. but at least my "lack of satisfaction" even when my tummy was about to blow up problem is not with me anymore Thanks to the drug.

Last edited by masterptr; 10-15-2012 at 04:32 PM.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #9  
It is what it is...

I never had any weight gain just from the Lexapro. I never had any trouble losing while on it either...but I know each person is different.

Good luck.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 151/149/135

Height: 5'6"

I have gained about 10 pounds since I went on Lexapro in February. I think it has increased my appetite. I want to lose weight, but I feel so out of control. I binged today and am not happy about it. I need Lexapro for the depression, but wish I didn't eat so much. I need to take my diet more seriously!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Lexapro made me lose my ability to "finish" sex but that's it. I quit taking it a few years ago once my divorce was over with.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #12  
Warrior Princess

I think the main point is that if the medication increases your appetite and you eat more; you'll gain. For some people it decreases their appetite and they lose. It's not the medication itself it's how you react to it; if you continue to eat as you were before taking the meds your weight won't change.

HTH.