Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #1  

Default Don't know what to do

So, I've been battling depression for a few years now. It's one of those things that is always in the background. Sometimes it's completely debilitating, which is how I've been feeling the past 6 months, at least. I haven't been on antidepressants for over a year because I gained a ton of weight and felt like an emotional zombie. I was on Wellbutrin before that and it did help a bit with energy, but then I couldn't sleep and I was having serious rage issues. I would just blow up about the most minor thing.

My depression is to the point where I don't want to do anything. I sleep most of the day and I barely want to move. Like I literally won't move for hours, even if I have to pee, I just hold it until I absolutely have to get up. I have to exercise to lose weight, dieting just isn't cutting it for me. I also know exercise will make me feel better and happier, but I have no motivation whatsoever.

I've also tried herbal supplements like St. John's Wort, Maca, and 5-HTP. They didn't do anything except make me have that rage again. I feel like I'm wasting away. I don't feel particularly sad, I just feel kind of empty, like I don't care about anything.
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I would seek out some therapy. If the meds bother you that much sometimes therapy is the best way to go. :*hugs* I know the feeling!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #3  

Have you tried therapy? Exercising does make you feel better, there are studies proving that people who exercise regularly benefit with a positive boost in mood and lower rates of depression. The lack of motivation you're describing and the fact that you sleep a lot are clear symptom of depression. A therapist would be able to help you because they're professionals specialized in dealing with issues like this.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

When I sleep too much, I feel like this.

Make some goals for yourself, even if you start small. "Tomorrow I will get up and weed the garden..." or whatever it is that you want to/need to do.

I have to stay jam packed crazy super busy, or I fall into the rut of doing nothing. Exercise is also a biggie. Endorphins are a huge pick me up. Make sure the food you're eating is quality nutrition, too. I get depressed and sluggish when I eat too many processed carbs.

What do you like? Does anything interest you? Can you pick up a hobby, a class, volunteer? Sometimes we just need a reason to get up and get moving!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #5  

No, I haven't tried therapy. I got laid off in late 2010 and I haven't found work since. Then my car got repossessed because I couldn't afford my payments with the small amount I made from unemployment. I've basically given up the hope of finding a job. I have a couple projects I work on to try and make money from home, but it's going extremely slowly.

The only thing I end up doing is housework and playing video games at night. I don't have any friends, because they just stop calling when you're broke, so the only interaction I really have with people is my boyfriend (LDR), my mom, and people online. I find that I even avoid that as much as possible, I just don't ever feel like talking to anybody, I'd rather be in bed.

I used to walk every morning for a cup of coffee, but the activity didn't help. I couldn't wait to get back home so I could just sit around.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hey Euphy wow...that stinks about your car And so sorry that you havne't been able to find employment. I can see how your days would stretch on and on. Tomorrow, can you *make* yourself maybe do one thing, the morning walk for coffee, maybe just 30 minutes of some kind of exercise? I find that even accomplishing one thing can help me a little bit.

I completely empathize on the wanting to do nothing feeling! I share with my fellow Chat peeps here that I too easily can find myself sleeping away my days off. Or following depressing trains of thought in my head. Last winter, I had ZERO interest in the next day. Couldn't have cared less if my existence ended. And then..I started to feel better. so there is hope

I hope you find that you can come here to talk to us!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone for the advice, I do appreciate it. I've decided to a trade school in the fall that will hopefully get me back in the workforce by January. I'm excited about it, but no idea what I'm going to do until then. I guess I really want to focus on my weight loss this summer.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186.8/186.8/145

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Euphy I totally feel like you posted my story. I have experienced depression to the point to seeking help both with meds and therapy. Have been without a steady job for a while now and being unemployed is very frustrating. I do try to give myself 3 goals for the day and trust me they can be anything ie taking a walk, laundry, washing my hair. And now one goal will be to post:-)
Nancy45can do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

Yeah i think therapy would be your best bet. I really hope everything goes well with you. You are probably an amazing person stay strong.
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I really think going to a school of some sorts will help out treamendously. And coming here, finding a good support system.
Have you started therapy yet? I love our therapist and she really helps a ton.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #11  

Default I don't know what to do either!

I have been taking Prozac 10mg for 2 years, and am also on Yaz to help level out my hormones. The problem: I feel great mentally, but even though I have cut out carbs, work out 5x per week (weights and cardio), and keep my calories under 12K, I can't lose even one pound!! I am serious, it should be in some sort of record book. I cannot lose one pound. I have gained 10 since starting the meds, at one point that was up to 20, but by watching what I eat and running, I was able to shave off some. But, no matter what I do I literally CANNOT get that last 10 off. I am about to cry....
Shmeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #12  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Yaz is currently being advertised as a bad one, isn't it?

I agree with the therapy suggestions, but it's not always easy to find a good one, but when you do, it can make all the difference. I am veritable cheerleader for cognitive therapy. Good luck!!
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote