Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1  

Default How did you exercise today?

I know it's hard to motivate ourselves to exercise when we're depressed, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can report our exercise success of the day. (Because really, if you can exercise almost every day, that is in itself is a success!)

I'll go first:

Yesterday was bad. B.A.D. But it was SO good. I was supposed to do a spin class with my favorite spin teacher but got there too late and the class was full. As a result, I had 2 extra hours of glorious free time! But today I'm doing better. 33 minutes of interval training on the elliptical. A lot of people tend to just coast on the elliptical, but I've always thought that was a waste of time. I set the machine to "fat burn", set the "valleys" to level 8 and the "hills" to level 10, and go at alternating rates of 130 and 140, respectively. This is pretty difficult for me--makes my biceps and calves burn. I also swam 30 minutes. I sort of do interval training for that, as well. Every lap going one direction is a fast freestyle, and the opposite laps are breast stroke at a bit easier pace. The swimming is great for depression--to the point where I feel cranky if I have to miss doing it! There's something cheerful about being in a pool when it's gloomy and wintry outside. I almost sink into a meditative state when I swim.

What did you guys do (or what are you planning to do)?

QueenofThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #2  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Helloooo Writer!!! I went to 1 hour yoga class this morning...then I went to and hour of Body Pump...then I did 45 mins on the stationary bike which I alternated between level 7 and 8 and pushed myself off an on with speed. Normally I do treadmill, elliptical, or stairmaster but my plantar fasciitis is acting up right now so my motto is modify, modify, modify!!!! :-)

~Raven~
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I did a workout with my Wii EA Active Sports Trainer.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #4  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Kicked tail on the elliptical (I agree--NO point in not feeling the burn on there!) and am planning on some light yoga before bed. It always makes me feel so peaceful and relaxed.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I might go for a walk and read some, I'm not sure. I'm really tired right now and I have homework to do before bed but I hate that I was a little unhealthy today so I'd like to do something if possible. I'm not sure how I'll motivate myself, I'm kind of feeling down. I'm just getting worn out with classes, it's getting hard to keep motivated.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5"3

I know I have time for it I have to work on feeling like I deserve it.
Its not like I don't like it I don't even want to do the things I like.
swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissy View Post
I know I have time for it I have to work on feeling like I deserve it.
Its not like I don't like it I don't even want to do the things I like.
Why don't you just go to the gym and sit in the hot tub, or the sauna? It may not be exercise, but those two things can make you feel good and at least get you up and out of the house. If I'm really sore and I lie down on a sauna bench I feel comforted as the warmth seeps into my muscles.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine73 View Post
I did a workout with my Wii EA Active Sports Trainer.
I've only tried Wii fit once. It told me I have the physique of a 40-year-old.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I'll cheat a little and post my exercise log from another thread

Feb. Exercise

1 - Anni's Life Force dvd, 50 minutes.
2 - Cathe's Circuit Max 55 minutes; 10 minutes abs.
3 - Anni's Life Force dvd, 50 minutes.
4 - Gilad's Step and Tone (the step and abs portion only) 40 minutes.

5 - Anni's Life Force dvd, 50 minutees.
6 - Karen Voigt's Cardio/Strength circuit training tape (not all of it) 35 minutes.
7 - 10 minutes step aerobics (bad me! didn't plan well) and 10 minutes ab work.
8 - Anni's Life Force dvd, 50 minutes, 10 minutes Cathe abs.

I do all my exercise in home with dvd's or vhs tapes (so old fashioned) and maybe walks when it gets nice out.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #10  

VermontMom - Wow. You officially exercise way more than I do. No wonder you're almost at your goal weight!

2/8 - 40 min of a spin class. I keep accidentally leaving work late and getting to spin late. This is because we're on "downtime" at work and the temptation of having the option to work 9-5 like a normal human being is too much for me, even when I know spin is at 5:30. I try to make up for it by packing on the resistance.

2/9 - 30 min freestyle/breast stroke swim today, coupled with a 1300-cal day. Healthy food is......good.....I guess. (Oh God I want french fries and bacon.....)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

let's repeat that ... healthy food is good for us..healthy food IS good for us, d*Mnit!

Day 9 - Keli Roberts step aerobics, with ankle weights and hand weights.

Nyxwriter - oh, I have no problem with doing daily exercise...it's been the rest of the 23 hours of the day that were a problem, that I would eat anything!! Had to really take hold of the quote someone has one here 'you can't out-exercise bad eating habits'. My downfall is carby-surgary stuff. Or even bread...but too much of it.

I feel I have to keep up with the exercise for a few reasons...first, knowing how helpful it is to those with depression. Even if I don't see any noticeable diff in my mood, i know it HAS to help.

Second, it gives me a feeling of control. I can't control that depression hits me sometimes but I can control if I work out.

Third, knowing how it helps with the quality of life...makes it so much easier to do everyday things, at work (on my feet all day but my back never hurts) lugging groceries, etc. AND as I am fast approaching my 'golden years' I want to enter that time fighting and kicking Father Time's butt
Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #12  

2/10 - 90-min run with SuperCorgi. This includes what I call "H3ll Hill"--a 1/2 mile-long 45-degree incline. It's new to our route; thus far we have to walk between every other set of street lights just to be able to run the other 50% of it. In general I try not to walk, but SuperCorgi is not a People (whatever he might think) and sometimes I have to to a) take his health into consideration, and b) because when he gets tired while trying something new he tends to drag on his leash, which believe me all you runners out there makes it WAY more difficult than just plain running by yourself.

Tonight is my "cheat night." This means I will spend an hour cooking a multi-course healthy Japanese or pan-Asian feast (about 700cal) and consume approximately 940cal worth of plum sake. Yes, folks, I run for alkie.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

2/10 - Anni's Life Force dvd, 50 minutes; then 10 minutes of Cathe abs.

NyxWriter, oh Corgi's are SO cute!! and a SuperCorgie must be epic-ally cute Glad you have a partner on the streets. lol @ running for alkyhol
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I need to be much more consistent with my exercises; but at least I got back on the treadmill yesterday! Week 3 on C25K then another 30 minutes of just walking, so roughly 60 minutes on treadmill (got to 5k.)

Today I'm thinking strength training a bit, so some push-ups, tricep dips, calf raises, etc. And Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. There is a kick-boxing seminar I've been dying to go to but I'm kinda shy in joining classes...

Also add my vote to corgis!! I'm actually jealous a little bit :P I've always wanted a dog and a Pembroke corgi specifically.

Last edited by DesertTabby; 02-11-2012 at 01:56 AM.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #15  
Biker Chick!

Yesterday - 30 Day Shred, level 3
today - 30 Day Shred, level 1. I didn't want to do ANYTHING so this was better than nothing.