Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #16  
It is what it is...

I was on Zoloft for 10 years and the only reason I gained weight on it was because I way over ate, so I see that as my issue not the meds...I was changed to Lexapro, but then started having some worsening anxiety and now have been changed to Paxil ...geez I feel like I have been on it all, haha...what a mess...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 267/245/160

Height: 5'8"

I gained about 100 pounds on SSRI's over the course of three years (I was on them for a total of six years but the first year didn't gain much and the last couple of years I maintained. I was on Paxil (largest weight gain at 80 lbs) Prozac (responsible for about 20) went off for a few years, lost about 50, back on to Celexa (gained about 60) and then to Zoloft (gained another 20 or so).

I have now been off of them for about three years and only in the last year have I been able to start losing weight. I quit eating starch and cut way back on sugar and what I discovered was that my moods stabilized. It was like being on the SSRIs without the side effects. I now wonder if my mood issues were caused by a sensitivity to starch and sugar.

Important to note, the reason I gained so much on SSRIs was because I craved carbs the entire time I was on them.

I recently ran across a great article and thought I would pass it along. However because I am a new poster I cannot have links in my email. The name of the article is "How I Overcame Bipolar II(and saved my own life), written by Michael Ellsberg and it is on forbes.com I wish the article had been written a decade ago. It would have saved me a tremendous amount of pain.
Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/205/155

Default Zoloft

I had that side effect when I started taking it as well. It went away about 6 weeks later and then I gained 50 lbs on it so I'm no longer taking it.
weightingfornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #19  

Lightbulb Years later I reply....lol

It blanked it out because it’s a controlled substance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
had the same reaction when i started zoloft... it went away in a few weeks though, and then my appetite (and desire for SWEETS) was stronger than ever

good luck with the zoloft.. ive experience minimal side effects, but im getting ready to switch ( i see my doc today) its just not "working" for me...... i dont think its the right med

im hoping to try a different class, like the NSRI's... (Effexor and Pristiqu i think are NSRIs) anyone go from SSRI's to NSRI's? Experience? I have generalized, mod->severe depression with GAD and Borderline Personality Disorder.... at the moment my BIGGEST issue is anxiety though... im on 3 (THREE) clo****pam a day, and i really really want to wean off, but im TERRIFIED of having panic attacks... ug....

EDIT: y did it star out my med name? lol its a benzo for anxiety
Emmabliss57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #20  

Default Enjoy the Ride

Yeah man, weight can definitely be one of those things lead to depression,

but there is no need to feel bad about your body, it is all in your mind, you can turn this to a positive experience, ask yourself what do you want and then engage yourself to a some program that lets you achieve your goal, if its gym so be it-- but here is the catch, do not put pressure on yourself, take your time to enjoy it, take is as your feel good session, do not expect immediate results, it will take time but enjoy the ride as you get to your goal.
perfect73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #21  

Zoloft side effects including nausea or loss of appetite may be to blame for the weight loss that has been observed. At least 2% of the 281 kids using Zoloft reported losing weight, which was twice as common as in the placebo group (an inactive pill).
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote