Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/298/200

Height: 5'4

Default Bi-Polar

I have severe bi-polar disorder that is being controlled by medication, but still get down from time to time. My only comfort is food, and has always been. I started strong working out a year ago, but went on vacation, I stopped and haven't started back yet. What ways are you fighting depression, and how do you keep yourselves motivated?
pinkfloydchick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'9"

There is no "right" answer to your question ... its HARD!!! My motivation is my daughter, and my future kids. I want to be healthy so that I am able to take better care of my daughter, and have the energy to play with her after work, and do physical things with her that she likes to do. I also want more children, that I can not have right now at this weight ... . I am also scared that if I do not get healty that I will not be around for my daughter as the years pass. I also have a few vanity reasons, I wanna look good in cute clothes, I want to have more confidence, etc.
People like us are always gonna have "bad" days. Where for no reason we are just sad, or mad, or whatever. I do not know about you, but I tend to sometimes majoryly overreact with my anger. I had a really bad Friday and Saturday this week. I ended up going to sleep at about 6pm Friday and not getting up until I had to go to work Saturday morning. I was really depressed and lashing out at everyone around me. And I wanted to eat everything in sight because I felt guilty about the way I was acting but could not stop. So maybe going to sleep was not the right decision, but it worked for me. I am not suggesting shutting out the world everyday and sleeping through a major depression, but it was a temp. fix for me. When I got home from work my husband and my friend went out of their way to make me feel better, and it worked. ... I really, truly hope it gets better and easier for you!!!
SoDetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #3  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

pink,
I agree with sodetermined, we will have our good and bad days. I think exercise really helps. That being said once out of the routine it's hard to get back in. I haven't officially worked out in 2 weeks after being so gung ho for a while. I notice I have so much more energy and stable moods when I exercise. I too had a weird Friday (not sure I'm recovered from it). My mania is anger and boy it struck something fierce but didn't last long (which is probably due to the fact I ended up walking for 8 hours that day) now I'm sort of in the I-don't-care mood so I haven't really been taking care of me, nor anyone else.

My doctor put me on a low carb diet as well. I've also read books that recommend low carb and no caffeine. My doctor said caffeine in moderation is okay. I have swapped out most of my diet soda for flavored water. Less stimulants are better for me, less aggression and believe it or not more energy. I went from being a slug (no exaggeration) to hiking and walking and biking. Now if only I can motivate myself to start up again.

I don't work, I am not socially able to. I'm not good around people, I usually flake out somehow. I've been thinking about getting a job, but I fear they wouldn't understand the many moods of me and truly if they don't understand Bipolar they won't understand an explanation. A lot of places I'm qualified for wouldn't take out the time. So I stay focused on me and eating right and doing my best to exercise. I take the moods as they come and do my best to ride them out. But I swear they are way better with proper eating and exercise.

Good luck
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote