Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Default Lexapro Side Effects

I v been on Lexapro for about 4 months alongside diazapram and zopilaram (sorry my spelling is bad) the doctor has doubled the dose of Lexapro now I have been taking the new dose for 5 days the 1st few days i felt like a zombie but worryingly iv been having memory loss, i take all my pills around 10pm every night to help me sleep but i am finding with this new dose after around an hour after taking them i have memory loss i am safe because my husband keeps my safe and normally all i do is pass out on the sofa and he gets me to bed.
Im just really worried as I dont like not knowing what i am doing and also I am getting forgetful during the day, its getting me quite stressed, and to be honest I have plenty of other things to stress about.
Anyone had this and does it wear of like the other side effects?
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/133

Height: 5ft 3

I take citalopram, which is the same as lexapro according to what I've been able to find on the internet. I must say, when I first took citalopram (and with each subsequent 'upping' of the dosage) I did feel sleepy and a little dopey for a couple of days, but nowhere near to the extent that you're describing.

If I were you, I would leave it a few more days, if you can put up with it, to see if it wears off. If not, just tell your doctor that your body isn't tolerating the higher dosage and ask him to reduce it again. Don't put up with it in the long term.These drugs are supposed to improve your quality of life, not stress you out!
Aphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #3  

citalopram doent agree with me so if they are similar the problem could be there I will go back to the docs if it lasts a few more days. just wish they could find the magic pill to stop all of this
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

marie, Hi Lexapro was the first antidepressant I was on. It helped with 'most' of my depression, and all of the rage I would feel, except I got SO VERY SLEEPY on it! I could NOT just sit and watch TV, I fell asleep. I would sit in the garage waiting area (on those hard chairs!) and fall asleep. When I started drowsing while riding my motorcycle, I knew I had to stop!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/183/160

Height: 5' 10"

Yikes. I was on Lexapro for about three years and had plenty of problems with it, but nothing like you have described. If it is to the point where your husband needs to "keep you safe" then I would say get back to your doctor, ASAP.
oxymoronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

Hey girl!! I didn't have it to the same extent but I was on a LOW dosage. It really helped with my depression and rage but it got to the point I couldnt even take care of my kids. The only medicine that I could take and within a short period feel totally relaxed. I gained 30lbs on it and probably cause all I wanted to do was sleep. I would just lay on the couch and let them watch tv and I had a hard time even getting up to get them lunch or take care of them. I eventually switched to wellbutrin which had the opposite affect I was active and everything...Its like you just cant win.....your either depressed or out of it...good luck!!
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I had a pretty bad experience with Lexapro. I also experienced weight gain, memory loss, excessive sleepiness, as well as paranoia and eventually suicidality. Overall it tends to be the best-tolerated of the SSRIs, but every body is different and if you have even the slightest inkling that maybe it isn't working for you, talk to your doctor!

The difference between Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram, which means S-citalopram - a type of chemical notation) is that Lexapro is an isolated enantiomer (chemical configuration), whereas citalopram is a 50/50 mix of R and S enantiomers.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I am on lexapro and it does make me tired. Well, if I am on a higher does (20mg) I am excessively tired. So I have cut back down to 10mg and am doing quite well. Curious what dose your doctor has you on? Also, the other medications you are taking definitely can lead to drowsiness so see if it doesn’t get better after a few more days and call your doctor if you are still feeling this way.
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #9  

Thanks for all your comments iv been on lexapro for a while now im on 10mg iv stopped taking the diazapram and zopliapram so the sleepyness has gone now and i am starting to feel alot better now lexapro has made me feel a lot better

Hope everyone is doing well and moving on with treatment xx