Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Depression and Starving

Every morning I wake up so depressed I don't feel like eating anything (sometimes I'm just not hungry and other times I'm hating myself so much I don't want to eat). The other problem is, by the time I feel I may be ready to eat, I have to leave for work. Some days (like today) I'm so depressed for so many reasons I don't want to eat anything..not even junk food.

Any ideas of foods that are easy on the stomach in the morning when I'm feeling nauseous from depression? (I know it's the depression because on days I'm feeling good I'm hungry when I wake up) Also, any ideas how I can get myself to eat something so I don't keep ending up with my body in starvation mode? I know that makes losing weight even harder but even that knowledge doesn't help push me towards eating.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I'm really sorry you're so depressed. Depression is a serious condition, and I hope you have or are going to seek help from a doctor or therapist.

That said, I think it's perfectly ok for you not to eat breakfast if you don't feel like it. I often don't, and it's fine. I do not think you will starve yourself.

However, I really want you to take care of yourself and get checked out so you can feel better!!!

Last edited by walking2lose; 04-09-2011 at 05:46 PM.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #3  

Unfortunately I can't afford a doctor/therapist and the only community program that did that just got their funding cut so they don't really help people anymore. I'm getting better slowly but I think professional help would make it quicker.

My biggest worry are the days I forget to eat until the late evening. I keep hearing "you have to eat breakfast!" but it's good to know it's fine if I don't, thank you.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

Can you either pre-prepare food to grab or keep food at work so that when you eventually do get hungry, you can eat that? Hard boil eggs and store them in your fridge, keep packets of oatmeal or healthy cereal bars in your desk at work, make sure you always have fresh fruit available. That way, you don't have to eat when you're not hungry, but when you do eventually get hungry, you have healthy options.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #5  

For some reason packets of oatmeal make me sick (I need to find ones that have no sugar) and I do home health so I don't get any time to take a break and eat anything. I'll give the hard boiled eggs a try though! Sounds like a really quick thing I can grab before running off to work. Thanks for the idea!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

The one thing I can think of that is totally inoffensive, even though I am not particularly fond of them...is bananas..a truly wonderful food, especially if under ripe...try choking one down!! Good luck, and a *hug.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I am one of those people who do not like to eat when I first get up (which is 5 AM) and I don't. I usually wait until I am in the office to have my breakfast which is around 10 AM, so having said that, I don't see anything wrong with not eating as soon as you wake up. I usually grab a cup of coffee when I get up but thats it. I am just not hungry and the thought of eating that soon kinda makes me queezy.

My advice would be to maybe grab a glass of milk, or juice or something until you are ready to eat. Also, I would not wait until dinner to eat, that IMHO is to long, maybe have a light lunch if you are up to it. Have some fruit, maybe a protein shake, some yogurt if you can.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up about breakfast... (I used to do that too), everyone is different.

Last edited by Leenie; 04-10-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #8  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

a lot of people choose not to eat breakfast (look up intermittent fasting) excuse my spelling btw lol
i am the same, when im stressed out i simply don't eat. if i'm worried about it i have something like an apple or a small orange, sometimes that's enough to get my hunger going.
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

I lose weigh when I am stressed I dont ever eat breakfast as milk makes me sick in the mornings and most breakfast food have milk in them. fruit is the best thing if you can. xx
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone! I'll have to look up intermittent fasting because it sounds like something that may suit me. I'll buy some bananas and soy milk next time I go to the store. I have a sensitivity to dairy so I've been trying to find a protein drink that is dairy free (maybe just the powder?).
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #11  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

A plain bagel used to help me. I'd nibble on it for an hour. So did yogurt and bananas. I stayed away from anything with citrus because it tore up my empty stomach. If I couldn't eat, I'd drink a glass of milk.

I haven't been in your place for a long time but I remember it very clearly. I'm sorry you are feeling this way hun.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #12  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I hate breakfast, I'm not hungry in the AM either. Many times I'll just have an ounce of walnuts or almonds with my coffee or a slice of toast with peanut butter or almond butter. It might be boring but it suits me just fine.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

There is a protein powder that is yummy, its called Syntrax Nectar Protein Powder..... Nectar is a whey protein isolate powder that has the taste and sensory characteristics of fresh fruit juice.

They even have Fuzzy Navel flavor....MMMMMM.... Apple Ecstasy, Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Lemon Tea, Pink Grapefruit, Roadside Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, Twisted Cherry, Cappuccino, Chocolate Truffle, Strawberry Mousse and Vanilla Bean Torte...

The only one I've tried is Fuzzy Navel and its very good.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote