Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Tuesday, December 17th

Good Morning,

I'll be doing some major moving today so I can't play long.

Hope your all doing great !!

Huggs, Leenie
Old 12-17-2002, 10:09 AM   #2  

Morning...wonder what happened to my Xmas tradition post where I was asking about gifts under the tree etc? Anybody know?

I can offically say I am ready for Xmas....I have a few little things to pick up but that is it...mailed the cards yesterday, wrapped the gifts....I have about 6 hours total of housework today over the next couple days and am working...other than that it is just rest and relaxation!

Have a good day everyone!

Eliz
Old 12-17-2002, 11:10 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Lizzy its there under yesterday's thread... I answered you and the other's.......check it out !!
Old 12-17-2002, 01:06 PM   #4  

I am having way too much PMS today!!!!! I am going to kill everyone. Since I walked in I am thinking of ways to tell the owner I want to fire the girl at the front desk in the morning. I just got upset b/c the salad I ordered had no artichoke hearts in it. I think that may be going a little overboard.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:19 PM   #5  

I've finally caught up on the posts...once you get behind it takes forever to catch up it seems.

Linda I never heard of the straw goat or the pig leading the sleigh.

Leens the alligators I can understand being Louisianna.

Our tradition was getting to open one small gift the day before Christmas eve and opening the remaining ones on Christmas Eve with the grandparents. Then the big traditional turkey dinner on Christmas day. I remember being 5 or 6 years old and a knock on the door and when Mother opened it there was a doll for both me and my sister. Mother told us it was Santa. I can still picture that doll and how much I loved it.

Speaking of dolls, Mother bought me one a few years ago that I treasure. She missed buying us girls dolls she said. I loved it but my sister thought it was stupid and she got rid of hers. I have mine hanging on my bedroom wall. Now that she is no longer here I appreciate her having bought it for me and her longing for when we were still young when she could buy such things.

This year I did not put up a tree or decorate but promised Chris and Dad I would do so next year. I finally got a small check from Disability for back pay so was able to buy small things for Dad and Chris. I got Dad a flannel shirt and since he eats oatmeal every morning, a box that has 2 oatmeal bowls, 2 spoons and a container of oatmeal. I plan to pick him up some cologne and then he will be done. Chris' printer quit a few months ago and I found one on sale so ordered that for him. That's ALL he gets.

I've invited a couple to come to dinner but they have not yet let me know one way or the other. I hope they are able to come so I can enjoy the day. Otherwise Dad eats and runs to the tv for a football game and Chris heads to the computer. I am left alone to clean up the mess and twiddle my thumbs. At least if they come we can ignore Dad and Chris and play cards or something.

Good to chat last night with Linda, Jaymee and Kam. So glad chat is back!!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey gang!

I am finished with my shopping. I stopped at Walmart this morning on the way into work and bought the last of the stocking stuffers.

Since I didn't have to run errands during lunch, I put on my tennis shoes and decided to go walk at the mall - you will not believe this - but when I got there all the lights were out on that side of town - unbelieveable. They were turning everybody away at the doors because it was pitch black dark in there, and of course, nobody could use a cash register. Some days it is like the world is against you if you try to exercise! :-(

Liz asked about wrapping presents. When the boys were little we always wrapped the presents from Santa but we didn't put them out until they went to bed. Then Christmas morning they would wake up and all their stuff was in the middle of the room, dropped off by Santa. Hubby didn't want them to be wrapped, but to me, for little kids, most of the fun is unwrapping the stuff, so we always wrapped.

Now that our boys are teenagers, I wrap everything and put it under the tree and we have started opening our gifts on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas morning. You just gotta make changes as the kids get older.

We fill their stockings with all sorts of stuff, gum, pens, pencils, camoflauge face paint, hunting goodies, ear plugs, little pen flashlights to attach to key rings, chapstick, McDonald coupons, just anything we can get in the stocking. We don't wrap anything that goes in the stocking.

Well gang I hope everybody has a great day. anybody chatting today?

hugs, Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 12-17-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:08 PM   #7  

Hi ladies,

I am really down today....but I thought I should check in anyway. Last week I had 6 days where I felt good.

I called Mental Health today to try to get in for counselling. They are going to call me back.

What a time to feel like this. My Dr. told me to walk outside everyday....but the 2nd day I went out....I fell & hurt my knee. I think I might go to a strip mall near us & walk. The outside has a covering.....but 1 side of me would face the sky.

Anyway...I should go.

April
Old 12-17-2002, 03:26 PM   #8  

Angry Well getting ready to go to work for evening shift

Been doing some tidying and a few loose ends...need one more trip to the mall and I am done.....I feel so great about that!

April it is most important that you check in when you aren't feeling good...I am glad you had 6 good days last week!

Kemp take a pill and chill......

Leens my Xmas trad post is gone and I can't find the original post from lindat

Cathy sounds like a nice Xmas around your place.

Sp nice to see you are areound...was worried about you....thought maybe you had fallen again...was gonna come looking for you!

Well I gotta go...I will check in when I get home around midnight!

Bye!

Eliz

Last edited by liz321; 12-17-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Liz - on the Monday, December 16 post, your traditions post is the 9th post down. It's there girlie - I promise - I see it! go check and see if you can see it too - ok.

hugs, Cathy
Old 12-17-2002, 03:56 PM   #10  

Talking I am losing it!

Sorry I see what I did...I posted on the daily instead of the one that says traditions...thanks Cathy....sometimes I am a real nut~~~

Eliz
Old 12-17-2002, 09:11 PM   #11  

Hello! I've just joined 3FC. This is such an incredible site with so many people, supporters, and resources!

I was looking through all the forums, and was really intrigued by this one. Mainly, because I suffer from depression. And every time I have a depressive episode, I stop exercising (stop doing everything), and I gain SO much weight. The first episode occurred for me when I was about 16. Although I'd love to blame the weight gain on the medications, I know that more realistically it happened because of my lack of energy to do anything. At the time I quit all activities and basically did nothing. Since that time, I was able to get out of that depressive episode - but I remained FAT for a couple of years. Until I saw a gross photo of myself. That was when I was 20, and I joined WW straight away. I was very successful in losing the weight, and almost got to my goal weight, but had gall bladder complications. So, I stopped trying to lose and began maintaining, which I did for a whole year. Until I had another depressive episode, quit exercising again, and gained back all the weight and more! Well, I'm through that one... and now battling to lose the weight all over again. I've made a couple of feeble attempts over the last few years to lose the weight, but haven't taken it seriously at all.

Well, that's changed now. I saw a photo of myself this weekend. It's amazing how easy it is to avoid looking at yourself in the mirror, to avoid cameras, to avoid "seeing" yourself. But this photo did it for me. I feel as motivated as I did last time, if not more... so I'm positive that I will be successful! I know that it takes a LOT of work and dedication. And I'm ready. And so I'm here, beginning this journey again. This time I have an additional motivator - I'm getting married in May! I know that I can't possibly lose all the weight (100 lbs) by May, but I can be on my way to feeling much better about myself!

Why do so many resources say that a side effect of depression is weight LOSS? For me, all I do is eat and sleep when I'm depressed - and that leads to weight GAIN!

It's so good to know that there are other people out there that suffer with depression and weight issues!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:15 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Loko, welcome and we're happy you found us.
I read also that depression can cause weight loss ??? well if that aint a kick in the @ss for me. I've gained and gained so much during the past few years, its just mind boggling. But I do know that when my sister is depressed she does lose weight, she is 5'11" and weighs 130 lbs.........ick huh.

Hey now that your here and your on an incredible high, pass some of that along to us please we could all use it.

Talk to you on the 18th thread.

Love, Leenie
Closed Thread