Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #1  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Default How do u cope?

Hello,
My question is to the people who have been diagnosed with bipolar? I was finally diagnosed in 2008, put on meds, therapy etc...
Recently I have been having untriggered mood swings 3-5 times a week. My dr is trying to tweak my meds...
How do u cope with the moods swings?
Thanks
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #2  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

I don't have bipolar, but I wanted to give you a . Hopefully someone will answer your post who does have experience with Bipolar soon.

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Im bipolar i go from some times years of the meds being quite leveled to times like at the moment where I can go from high to low in seconds they are working on my meds to at the moment and all i seam to be doing is make me sleep. I dont cope with the mood swings I just make sure I have people around me that understand and know how to put up with me.
Its hard at times but you just got to stick with the meds and therapy. I find the CBT helps as it has tough me how to deal with the feelings when the moods hit, i cant always control it but it helps
sorry I cant be much more help. good luck and I hope you find an answer
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #4  
on a mission

S/C/G: 83kg/68kg/65kg

Height: 5'3"

Hi there, I have bipolar II and I can't say that I have much advice to give in handling mood swings, because I haven't been able to handle mine very well. I have been going through this for 2 years and I still haven't been able to handle things. There is hope of course, there is always hope that things will get better, or we learn how to cope better. I was searching online for some information on coping with mood swings for bipolar disorder. I found a couple of sites. Below is the information that I have found. Perhaps we can both learn how to cope with our mood swings. There is always something new to learn everyday. Really hope this helps.

Coping with Mood Swings Caused by Bipolar Disorder

If you are experiencing mood swings caused by bipolar disorder, you might be looking for ways to lessen the negative impact these mood swings have on your life. Drastic changes in mood can disrupt family life, friendships, work opportunities and personal pleasure, but it is possible to manage these changes so you don't have to worry about them as much.

1- Learn to Recognize Mania
Manic episodes can be seductive. Mood swings caused by bipolar disorder occur during both manic and depressive episodes, but some people feel as though mania is actually beneficial. In reality, it can be just as destructive as depression.If you don't report all bipolar disorder mood swings to your physician, he or she will not be able to help you cope. Knowing this, it is important to recognize manic episodes as well as depression to help keep the mood swings in check.

2- Find a Confidant

Be it a friend, family member, spouse or therapist, find someone to whom you can turn during mood swings caused by bipolar disorder. A safe and understanding individual in your life can become a grounding force in your life, someone who can help you deal with bipolar disorder mood swings and help you recognize them when they occur.

3- Keep a Journal
WebMD recommends keeping a journal to track bipolar disorder mood swings. You'll begin to notice patterns in your feelings and behavior that can help you predict future mood alterations. This will also help your doctor determine if your current course of treatment is effective.

4- Look for Specific Patterns

Many people can predict their bipolar disorder mood swings because experience has taught them when mood changes are most likely to occur. For example, perhaps you are more inclined toward manic episodes during the summer and depressive episodes in the winter. Or perhaps you are aware of certain events which affect your moods. If you know change is coming, it will be easier to deal with mood swings caused by bipolar disorder.

5- Reduce Stress

Bipolar disorder mood swings are far more common when you are under a great deal of pressure. If a project is due tomorrow at work or if your in-laws are visiting for the holidays, you might be more inclined toward an episode. If possible, reduce stress when you think you might be experiencing mood swings caused by bipolar disorder. Take a few days off work, spend some time with friends, take a long bath or start an exercise program. All of these activities will relieve pressure and give you room to breathe.

6- Find a Project
According to the National Institute of Medical Health (NIMH), bipolar disorder mood swings that occur during a depressive episode often include feelings of emptiness and anxiety. You can curb some of these feelings by delving into a project that excites or satisfies you. This might mean taking up a new hobby, drawing a picture, writing a story or engaging in any other activity that provides satisfaction. Although mood swings caused by bipolar disorder are organic in nature, you can still exercise some control over your moods.

7- Ask Friends and Family to Watch for Psychotic Symptoms
The NIMH lists several psychotic symptoms that might accompany bipolar disorder mood swings, including delusions and hallucinations. Since you might not be able to tell when you are experiencing these symptoms, it helps to have a friend or family member watch out for them for you.This is also why therapy is an integral part of coping with mood swings caused by bipolar disorder. Your therapists can help you monitor your health and watch for warning signs.

8- Tell Your Doctor
In the same vein, it is essential that you inform your doctor of bipolar disorder mood swings. Any changes in how you are feeling can be important to your treatment, so take good notes and let your doctor know as quickly as possible.

9- Track Frequency
According to the NIMH, rapid cycling bipolar disorder occurs when manic and depressive episodes shift quickly from one to the other. If you are experiencing this, bipolar disorder mood swings might be more intense and you may begin to feel as though you are losing control. It is a good idea to discuss this possibility with your physician to ensure you are receiving the proper treatment.

10- Build Acceptance
Mood swings caused by bipolar disorder can be stressful and unnerving, so it is important to come to a place where you feel comfortable with yourself. Accept your limitations and come to grips with reality so you are better able to approach treatment with a positive, hopeful attitude. Bipolar disorder mood swings can take their toll, but reaching out for assistance is essential. Find someone in your life, be it friend or therapist, who can help you manage and maintain your mood swings.

other helpful websites:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/bipola...od-swings.aspx
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_d...&id=29532&cn=4
Esha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 314/283/135

Height: 5'2"

My daughter has had some depression issues and did some online research. The kinds of foods that we eat can make things worse. She is on a "highly sensitive woman" diet that asks you to stop eating most foods with additives and to move over to fresh foods, give up caffeine and sodas, etc-packaged foods. Not only does she feel much better, but she's lost a significant amount of weight! Of course she occasionally eats some of the stuff but she watches and also has reduced portion sizes. Her hands and feet used to go numb and she had lots of dizzy spells. Most of that is gone, plus she has more energy. Of course, discuss with your doctor, but she found the info on a website called "the Captain's Lady". I hope that you feel better.

Last edited by Tamsin78; 02-23-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added a sentence and spelling
Tamsin78 is offline   Reply With Quote