Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

Default Advice for postpartum depression & meds that don't hinder weightloss???

I am back at my heaviest weight ever after giving birth to a beautiful boy last October. I am also suffering from anxiety issues (so extreme they leave me paralyzed and my husband and I end up screaming at each other). I am in the process of finding a shrink, but wanted to know if anyone had any advice on certain meds that tend to increase appetite more than others. I have been on Celexa, Effexor and Welbutrin in the past, but I don't really rememebr if any of those made me more hungry. I am very much an emotional eater, and a reluctant exerciser right now. The 45-minute dog walk is the max I feel up to doing lately, and even that is a chore I trade off with my husband sometimes. I really, really really don't want a med that increases appetite b/c I know I'll just turn into Jabba the Hutt, with a plate of cheese and crackers and a box of chocolates, glued to the couch watching old sitcoms and bad judge shows until I go back to work in a few weeks.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I took Wellbutrin for my PPD (and now for my "regular" depression) and I did not find it to affect my weight loss. With my first bout of PPD, I was on Zoloft, and I did gain weight on that.

Last edited by fitkristi; 01-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I'm not on any meds so I can't offer advice but I did have PPD with my son for the first 4 months and I just want to offer some hugs
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #4  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Wellbutrin sometimes can act as a craving/appetite suppressant for some people. I've lost 50 pounds while taking it, so I know it definitely can be done!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #5  

They say Wellbutrin has more of an appetite suppression than an increase. I have been on it for years but have never really had the benefit of weight loss. Of course I am on several meds where people just had weight" fall off of them" and I never had that reaction. I think my problem is my brain and stomach was telling me I was full but I just couldn't get passed the urge and the compulsion to eat.
amandalynn636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #6  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

ive been on effexcor for ppd and i find that it helps definitly..cant say weather i gained weight on it or not..cause i was stress eating a lot..and i had issues with binging prior to taking it plus there was christmas..so i cant say as far as weight gain goes..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I was only able to start seriously watching what I ate and working out, once I got off Lexapro and onto Wellbutrin XL. I also know how horrible PPD is, so I also want to offer
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

POst partum is very real. PLease see your doctor for alternatives. I went undiagnosed for 3 years. I gain 30 more pounds then when I delivered my baby and I thought the pain and general feeling of awful was just from being tired and getting older. I would hate for you to go as long as I did without help.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote