Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Default Back on the Pills

I am back in meds for the 1st time in 3 years, iv been on sleeping pills (i dont count these) throughout but now back on AD's (Lexapro) I could'nt control my BPD and I was like a mad women going from mega high to very bad lows so i know I have to get better im just sad I couldnt do it without pills.

I said to the docs if they make me gain weight i would come of them as being over weight adds to the depression.

I feel horrible and spaced today as its only the 1st few days I have all the horrible side effects

Anyone else been on this drug and had weight gain?
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #2  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

(((hugs))) Sorry to hear you are back on the AD. I was on Lexapro after I had my second child due to severe post partum depression. I gained 25-30 pounds in 2 months. The doctor justified it by saying I was feeling better and therefore eating more. Not true. In fact, nothing had changed with my diet. I was still eating "normal". Lexapro ( and Paxil) both affect my metabolism. I gained major weight with both pills. When I start feeling a little off, consistent exercise helps me get back to normal.
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #3  

Thanks honey, I think im going to have to do some more exercise then, how i look is a massive thing for me i get really down over being fat so I really hope these pills will not make me fatter, iv come along way in the last few months with the weight loss i really hope it dont get trashed with the pills.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #4  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

My daughter is on Lexapro and she usually maintains her weight. I have to say though, she is a soccer player. It may be due to the fact that she exercises quite a bit every day that her weight is stable. I hope you start feeling better soon. I understand how weight gain can add to your depression, but your number one priority is to take care of your BPD.
Hang in there. I know it's not easy, but things will get better with some time.
You're in my thoughts,
Christine
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5  

Thank you Christine.
Im just going to have to be careful now with what I eat and exercise more i think thats the key. Exercise is supposed to make you feel better so I am gonna give it a try for both weight loss and feeling happier. I will have to stay on the pills for the time being as i cant risk another episode.