Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

Default never been diagnosed

But i have been through therapy...i know what causes my depression...and because of it i eat..when i eat i feel better...when i eat i eat wrong....i dont personally like medications for depression...any sugestion for herbal options? ive carried a burden for many years of my life...honestly i really want to open up about it but i dont want yall to think im a fruitcake....
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I've had my share of bouts with depression and the only things that have helped me (outside of my emotional dependence on food) are yoga and hiking. It's the concentration/meditation part of yoga that really works for me. As Denise Austin says "it clears a busy mind" - meaning it forces you to not think about anything but holding your pose and your breathing. Did your therapist give you any tools to work on resolving what causes your depression?
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #3  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

Height: 5'3

I do use medication but also add other things in my life that help. Omega3 supplements, Vitamin B, and exercise have really helped. I can't stress enough how cardio exercise makes the difference in my mood like night and day.
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #4  
= ]

S/C/G: 350/280/150

Height: 5'4"

^^ Yessss!

Omega 3 helps a lot. My therapist could never stress that enough. Studies have found that it helps with your moods. I've taken it for just about a year, and I have to say, it does make me feel better at times, and I don't need such a high dose of medication sometimes. I think the theory behind is was that it lubricates passageways in the brain, causing for more activity, which is good since the brain of somebody who is depressed tends to be less active than a 'normal' human counterpart.

Exercise, of course, does help since you get that good release of endorphins that make you feel great after working out. These two things are definitely great ways to help keep yourself off of medication.

And you're not a fruitcake hun, believe me. If you're a fruitcake, I'd hate to see where I stand; When I'm off medication, it's possible for me to have delusions and hallucinations :P

There are more people out there with depression issues than you'd think, it's just such a taboo subject that nobody speaks out on it, though things have gotten better in recent years. If I recall correctly from an Abnormal Psychology class I had last year, approximately 1 in 10 American adults have some form of depression.

Last edited by Rhapsodysia; 01-15-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Rhapsodysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

Height: 5'2"

I know it's really hard to open up about depression issues. In recent months, I've been trying to be more honest and open about my feelings and I've found it's helped, at the very least to make me feel less isolated.

I've heard wonderful things about Omega 3 supplements. My father, who is bipolar I, has been taking them for a while in addition to his regular medication and I've noticed his mood swings have improved a lot. I personally haven't given it a shot but I've been considering it.

There's a lot of information on the internet about the way certain nutrients affect moods and depression. Above all, eating "real" food--i.e., unprocessed fruits and vegetables--and getting exercise are important and do affect moods. When I get out and exercise vigorously, it definitely boosts my mood. Of course, the catch-22 here is that it's sometimes impossible to convince myself to exercise while depressed. Still. Do what you can, when you can. Deep breathing, walks with music, giving yourself a hug (cheesy? yes, but effective). Don't be afraid to post! There's so much support here.

Last edited by Eurydice; 01-15-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/240/140

Height: 5'4"

If you are looking for herbal options, I have tried St Johns Wort before. It really helped my depression and I list 50 pounds really quickly on it. Unfortunately, I quit the pills, thinking I didn't need them anymore and gained the weight back, and the depression came back, also. Now I am on Prozac which also cured my depression, but I have a hard time losing weight on it, so I may go back to the St Johns Wort because I lost the weight on it before. If you do try St Johns Wort (which you can buy at any drugstore or large grocery store), make sure that you get a reputable brand. Also, (like Prozac) it takes about 3 or 4 weeks for it to start helping with your depression, so you need to give it time to work. I understand your reluctance to take drugs, and everyone has to do what is best for them. In my case, I have fought depression for many years, and realize that I probably have a chemical imbalance that I need to take medication for because these meds really help my depression and anxiety. My mother did not want me to start Prozac because she doesn't really believe in taking medication. After seeing the huge change in me after starting meds, she has said that she thinks these meds worked a miracle for me.
otachick10 is offline   Reply With Quote