Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #1  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

Default Disappointment at the doctor's

I went to the doctor today to get a prescription for anti-depressants because I recently realized that I was dealing with some pretty severe depression, among other things. When I called to set up the appointment, I specifically asked if the doctor could and would prescribe anti-depressants, and I was told yes, she would, and set up my appointment specifically for that reason. I go there today, wait for an hour to see the doctor, and then she comes in and tells me that she doesn't do that and I need to go see a psychiatrist to get anti-depressants. WTF? I was so upset, almost in tears. I just want help! So now I have to find a psychiatrist and hopefully I can manage to blindly choose a good one and pray that they have an opening soon. Only good thing about the appointment was that their scale put me 7 lbs lighter than mine did this am, and I was on theirs fully clothed with shoes on AND after I ate. I'm still annoyed though!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I had to go to the doctor and get some help for my depression, anxiety and OCD issues. Luckily my doctor was a bit more sympathetic and willing to help than yours.

It might not hurt to ask around and see if anyone has a recommendation for medical professional in your area who is sensitive and willing to help you with your depression. You might be surprised at just how many people are taking anti-depressants and they may be able to steer you toward a good doctor.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

While you wait for your appointment, you might consider taking a vitamin D supplement in the meantime.

I take an antidepressant (amitriptyline), tramadol, and cyclobenzaprine for the pain and fatigue of my fibromyalgia. While it's not technically depression, fibro affects the same neurotransmitters that depression does, and vitamin D apparently boosts the production and/or the function of these neurotransmitters.

When I started taking Vitamin D, I was actually able to cut back on my pain meds (the tramadol and the cyclobenzaprine).

It's not a cure, and you might still need an antidepressant, but it might give you at least some relief until you can get into see a doctor who will prescribe an antidepressant.

You might find that some psychiatrists will not want to prescribe an antidepressant on the first visit, if only to see if you'll make a follow-up appointment. Antidepressants really should be monitored and they don't want a patient who is only wanting the meds and not the supervision.

There are other otc supplements that have anti-depressant and anti-anxiety effects like St. John's Wort, and SAMe, but those really should be supervised as well. The Vitamin D is generally safe (in normal doses). Some medications interact with vitamins, so if you're on any meds, I'd run it by your pharmacist first.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-19-2010 at 11:18 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

Be careful, anti-depressants can cause you to gain weight or make it even harder to lose weight. My sister was on them for years and had that very issue. She now takes multiple vitamins and tries to tackle it more naturally. You might want to look into the homopathic method first.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #5  
Vegging out

Thanks for the words of advice. I have a history of clinical depression, and this has spiraled into a pretty severe case pretty quickly. I feel like I definitely need some help, and hopefully quickly. I have nothing against talking to someone about what is causing my issues, in fact, it would be really nice since I don't really have anyone to talk to that I can just say anything to. I really would be interested in some point in just using natural supplements to combat this depression, especially since last time I was on Zoloft I gained 25 lbs in a month (though weight loss is not an official side effect). Right now though I think I need something to put my brain chemicals back in order. I guess everything really depends on how long I have to wait for an appointment though. If it's going to be like a month, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to experiment!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

For mild depression there are herbal supplements that can help, but studies have found them ineffective for clinical depression, and in some cases can make the depression worse (lifting the depression just enough to give someone the energy to hurt themselves).

Suicide risk is actually higher for moderately depressed people than severely depressed people (because with severe depression you don't have the physical or mental energy to contemplate suicide).

Even with the Vitamin D, I would caution you to have a plan in place if the depression seems worse when taking it (which can mean the depression is actually getting better, but only to the point that you feel more aware of life sucking you down).

Antidepressants can both increase and decrease appetite, triggering gain or loss. So if you find one antidepressant that is making it hard to lose weight, you can work with your doctor to find one that doesn't.

Also weight gain isn't inevitable. There are strategies to help you keep from gaining. I've lost all of my 85 lbs on medications that in theory should keep me from losing, including antidepressants and prednisone.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyKins View Post
Be careful, anti-depressants can cause you to gain weight or make it even harder to lose weight. My sister was on them for years and had that very issue. She now takes multiple vitamins and tries to tackle it more naturally. You might want to look into the homopathic method first.
Paxil! Good lord I gained over 100 lbs. Granted I ate horrible and did not exercise but I could not lose it!!!! And it made me tired and sluggish. At my last job I was "famous" for falling asleep in meetings.
I switched to Prozac last year and I can lose weight now if I diet like anyone else and I do not have the tiredness. I know everyone gets different side effects from different meds but that was my experience. Paxil is kind of noted for making people gain weight. I am sure the gain was mostly my fault - but I couldn't lose it for nothing no matter how hard I tried, I was starting to think I had an abnormally slow metabolism.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

I agree with kaplods. Supplements and exercise can help with mild depression, but true clinical depression requires medication and monitoring by a doctor. I have been throught this several times. There are docs who are willing to prescibe meds until things get complicated then they don't want to go any further. I went through this with several primary docs. Then when things got complicated, they sent me to a psychiatrist. It was very frustrating and upsetting at the time, but it did turn out to be for the best. I went to see a therapist who was in a practice with several psychiatrists and after seeing her, she got me in to see the pdoc almost right away.

As far as gaining weight, all meds are different. Some are considered to be "weight neural", but it is individual. If you try one med and you feel you are gaining weight or having trouble losing, talk to the doc. There are probably others you can try that will affect you differently. Don't be afraid and try to hang in there. If things get that bad, don't be afraid to go to an emergency room. They can get you the help you need. Best of luck and THINGS WILL GET BETTER!
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #9  
Vegging out

I was supposed to have an appointment tomorrow morning, I was so happy about it, but I get a call today saying that that doctor doesn't practice at that office anymore. I made this appointment YESTERDAY!!! The earliest appointment they can give me now is November 17th, almost a month away!!! Unfortunately, all the doctors around here that accept my insurance are affiliated with this group and that is the earliest available for that group of doctors. I feel so dejected at this point, what am I supposed to do? And we got a reality check with our financial situation today, so even trying to use supplements until the appointment comes up is out of the question. It is so hard for me to even admit that I need help, and now I try and get shot down twice in one week, and I'm told to wait for so long when the last 3 weeks have been pure ****. If I go to an emergency room, will they commit me or throw me in a psych ward or something? I have two young children and no one to help me with them. I can't be away because then my husband can't work and we definitely won't be able to survive on no money. Why can't getting help be easy?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #10  

They won't throw you in the psych ward if you go to the ER. Maybe you could go to a doc in the box. This is what they are for. Explain that you have an appointment but need help now. They can prescribe you something and lit a fire under the doctor's office if they feel you need to see then now.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #11  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

They won't put you in the psych ward unless you are a potential harm to yourself or others. I would go to the ER. Then at least you could get started on some meds before things get out of control.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/259.6/120

Height: 5'2

Thats a bit strange that a doctor didn't put you on meds. It was one of the first things my doc did when I turned up in her office in tears one day
EsmeCullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

I hate when the options are limited by insurance My doctor prescribes my meds, but she's an idiot. I only go to her because she gives me the meds my last doc had me on that worked for me. Theres no other choice in doc groups?
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

What type of dr did you go to?

In general, I think it's good that she referred you to a psychiatrist. MD's that are not psychiatrists generally have very little training in psychotropics and really aren't in an informed position to be prescribing/supervising patients on psychotropics. However, that's really crummy that she just said, "Too bad, see someone else," without offering any support.

At the hospital, they cannot hospitalize you against your will unless they feel you are an IMMINENT (not potential) risk for harming yourself or others. However, you will likely have a psych consult and they may or may not be willing to prescribe you something on the spot and schedule a follow-up appt for you for continued maintenance. It's worth a shot, as it sounds like you are really struggling right now.

Another option may be your OB? I know several women who have been prescribed anti-depressants by their OB/GYN.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get the help you need, soon.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

hey another "in the mean time" suggestion -ive heard omega 3s help a lot... like in the form of fish oil pills or whatever you may choose.
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote